PDA

View Full Version : clutch slack help

ogryan400ex
04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
hey my clutch is not engaging until the lever is way out what tensioners do i need to ajust and what direction do i ajust them.
thanks for any help.

Deathbringer
04-22-2002, 11:49 PM
Sorry I had to borrow a pic from one of my other posts... but you will be turning out the silver looking screw counter clockwise and then use the other larger nut to hold it where you turn it to.. so in otherwords its like the security nut, and keeps you setting. Just play with it and you will find a happy medium between tension and slack.

dariusld
04-23-2002, 11:19 AM
If there is too much slack, you will also have to adjust the adjuster on your engine case. I like to adjust that one before adjusting the one on the clutch lever. If you follow the cable down to your engine you will see the other adjuster. When you follow the cable down, loosen the first nut you come to and then pull the cable back and tighten the second nut and then tighten the first nut. Now go back to the lever and see how much free play you have. You want a little because if don't your clutch won't be engaged fully and that causes premature clutch wear. sorry if this post is little confusing. first nut second nut what the heck? If I can make it clearer just ask.

ogryan400ex
04-23-2002, 12:48 PM
hey,
i have no play in the cable and the clutch still engages late does this meen that my clutch will have to be changed soon??? :mad:
If so about how much will it cost for a new clutch kit if the basket has no damage to it.
Thanks for the input.

04-24-2002, 09:19 AM
If your cable has no play in it then your clutch should engage late. If it is to tight then it's probably partly engaged when it is all the way out.

Colin400EX
04-24-2002, 09:51 AM
My friend's KX125 had a busted clutch basket that caused it to stay engaged. Part of the aluminum holding the gear on the back had broken off and got chewed up.. You might also want to check out the clutch disks.. if there is rust on them they may stick even with the clutch disengaged..