PDA

View Full Version : Please help, trying to work on my carb

platinum350
12-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Ok, I have been having this intermittent problem w/ my '02 400ex. It rides fine for a little then when I start really ripping on it it starts this whole hesitation thing. Almost feels like it's running out of gas. It starts losing power then I back off te throttle and it will be ok for a little.
So I checked the petcock filter just to make sure nothing was blocking gas, it was fine. Cleaned the airfilter. Problem still exists. So I am now trying to take the carb apart which is a first to me. I just want to know if you guys think this may be something in the carb, maybe a good cleaning?
Please give me any advice asap, and like always it's much appreciated.

platinum350
12-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Also, is it normal to open your airbox lid and smell gas?

mojoe2878
12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
no you shouldnt smell gas real bad when you remove the lid.
just wondering but are you sure the choke is turned all the way off.

Aceman
12-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Take your fuel hose off your carb and stick it in a bottle, turn the gas on and make sure your getting full flow through the hose. Make sure nothing is plugging your vent hose coming out your gas cap or your tank will become a vacuum and fuel won't drain properly. If everything is good up to this point, it's time to tear the carb apart. Basically buy some carb cleaner and squirt it into every hole and then blow it out with compressed air. Check your float height also. Just for chits and giggles make sure your spark plug is good also.