PDA

View Full Version : rings or valve seals??

ny300exrider
12-18-2004, 08:53 AM
ok, ive been making some replys to threads about this but havnt gotten a direct answer. i have a 2001 400ex and i think something is getting worn out in my motor. if the quad sits for a few days in the cold it will smoke for about a minute on startup and eventually stop. its a whitish smoke and i know most quads do this when started in the cold because of condensation. But heres the part that is worrying me. if you ride in a high rpm for a long time such as 5th tapped for say 10 seconds or climbing large hills it will start to puff blue smoke out. i know this has to do with oil burning so the 2 things i can think of are bad valve seals or bad rings. the quad does not smoke any other time, its got to be revved really high or riddin in a high rpm. in the case of it being rings, wouldnt it smoke more consistently? Would bad valve seals allow alittle oil to pass through and burn out the exaust? i know people have told me its valve seals but then ill get the occasional person saying its rings.
let me know what you thing, any help is appreciated.

Aceman
12-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Compression test your engine, if it reads low, squirt some oil in the cylinder and test again, if this made a significant increase in compression replace the rings, if it's alright then replace the valve seals.

ny300exrider
12-18-2004, 12:50 PM
ive never done a compression test, is there a certain tool that can read it and where can i get one. also when its ridden there isnt one sign of a loss in power at all. im not sure if the rings will make you lose power but it certainly runs great. thanks alot

ny300exrider
12-18-2004, 04:19 PM
bump anyone?

mojoe2878
12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
you will need to buy a compression tester gauge, you can find them at most car parts stores or sears.
usually when you lose compression you will lose power and performance along with it.

speedy400
12-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I've never been able to find a comp. guage for the size of the spark plug on 400ex, I've called around to many places also, I guess the sparkplug thread size is abnormal.-darren

ny300exrider
12-18-2004, 08:31 PM
k thanks for the info. one of the main reasons why i dont think it is the rings, is because there is not one bit of power loss felt. it was running perfect, im going to call up some places and see what they charge for valve seals because im pretty sure that what it is.

Flatwoods Flash
12-21-2004, 08:03 AM
If you do put in the valve seals be sure to get back to me and let me know if that fixed it. I guess I'll let you try it first and be the guinea pig:D

ontario400ex
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
how'd we make out with this one?

ny300exrider
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
i put it back to stock and havnt noticed any problems with it, still runs great and i dont notice the smoke anymore.

400exrider707
01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I had the exact same sypmtoms on my 01 EX, so I did a new wiseco piston and Honda Valve seals.... it still smoked on startup after, and then once in a great while after really revving it it would puff blue smoke too. I never could get my EX to quit smoking.l

ontario400ex
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I get wicked smoke after it has warmed up and I'm above half throttle. Warm compression checks out fine and the power is still there, just smoking my buddies behind me. It bugs me to have to always worry about the oil.

I ordered valve seals for it and I'll start with those.

Please, please, PLEASE don't be the piston and rings....
-Scotty

ontario400ex
01-20-2007, 09:36 AM
any fresh ideas?