PDA

View Full Version : Super Hot 440

hondagofast440
12-17-2004, 10:27 PM
i just got a cam and a 440 kit installed in my 400, i got it back yesterday and i started it up today and after about 3 minutes of running at a little over an idle the header pipes turned red hot and smoke came out right right around the collars that hold the headers inplace, clean smoke i think its just excess oil left over from install, but for the headers to get that hot that fast i think i have a problem, anybody have a theory as to what if any problem i am having?

RIDER11X
12-18-2004, 12:17 AM
It sounds to me as is you are running extremely lean.........Did you rejet at all? :eek:

MIKE400EX
12-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Also put a fan on it if you're not riding it around. Air cooled engines need air circulation.

twisted threads
12-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Do you have a stock carb??? If so what is your pilot and mainjet sizes??

hondagofast440
12-19-2004, 11:00 PM
the guy that installed the kit was supposed to rejet it, i will have to check and see if he did or not, we took it over to the guy and ran it for him for a while and he looked it all over and said everything was looking okay, of course it didnt glow while he was looking at it. i will look into the jetting and see if thats the problem or not, thanks guys

TC426EX
12-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Yeah it sounds like youre lean. Check the jetting, but also check to make sure the header is bolted securely with no exhaust leaks as well. Did this builder replace the copper crush washers that seal the header? Its a cheap part, and they are pretty much one time use only, so I hope he replaced them...

kane71270
12-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Check for air leaks....

ckasper18
12-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Most every 400ex pipes get that hot most people dont notice but if the quad is sitting there they will get red hot.Nothing to worry about i see it all the time on the frozen lake when guys are sitting in one spot spinning dougnuts in the dark it looks cool or should i say hot but as soon as they actually rude it like it was meant to be ridden it goes away right away.If the bike continues to smoke get it checked out by the company that built it.............Chris