PDA

View Full Version : Reving the Engine on startup (4 stroke)

LazeR
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I am curious about this. At the dealer and sometimes at the dunes i see ppl startup 4 strokes and rev the crap out of them. Now i would never start my truck and rev it up, i wont go past 3000 rpms until the temp guage moves! Because its hard on them, especially when they first start to rev them up. Im just wondering if a 4 stroke quad is the same way ???/

nosliw
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
some people are really stupid. yea man it's the same thing for a quad, racing them when they're cold causes premature cylinder wall wear, excessive fuel consumption, all around bad for everything.

in my pickup, i wont let it go past 1800rpm until the temp gauge goes to 160f

LazeR
12-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
some people are really stupid. yea man it's the same thing for a quad, racing them when they're cold causes premature cylinder wall wear, excessive fuel consumption, all around bad for everything.

in my pickup, i wont let it go past 1800rpm until the temp gauge goes to 160f

That's what i thought, i always start it and if i need to give it throttle i barely give it any, just enough to keep her running. Then i let it warm up and always check the oil :D The guys at the bike shop and some at the dunes just amaze me....I cring e when i hear them start their quads :|

My truck almost idles at 1800rpm when its cold! I normally shift between 2500-3000 and never go over 3000 until the gauge moves.

speedy400
12-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Yeah, from the idea I just thought of was the oil is cold when your start them up, it wont want to splash up to the piston and such. Also you have a chance to crack a cylinder, your still getting a hot fire no matter if the motor is warmed up or not. So yeah, its bad for em'. I dunno why the guys you saw were reving em' up....Some one please back me up on this info.-darren

YFZ450Ridr
12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
my friend does that to his new 450r and i tell him hes stupid for doing and he just says "oh well ill fix it if it breaks.." i hate revving the engine even when its warm in nuetral. ya i rev it a little bit to make sure its wamred up but when people hit rev limiter trying to warm up thier quad, they should be hit a few times and have the key to thier quad taken away.

LazeR
12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
when people hit rev limiter trying to warm up thier quad, they should be hit a few times and have the key to thier quad taken away.

word, it just makes me cringe when i hear ppl doing that, and makes me wonder where their brains are!

throwinitup
12-18-2004, 05:46 AM
yeah you gotta love that average hillbilly that hits the starter and revs it to 25,000RPMs they like the sound and feeling of f*ked up valves :scary:

TC426EX
12-18-2004, 08:36 AM
I did a top end rebuild for a friends 400ex and he used to rev it up at start up to warm it up quicker even though I told him not to. When I pulled it apart the cylinder walls and piston had the infamous "black death" streaks in them which is an indication of beating on the bike when its cold. I fixed it all up for him and rebuilt his top end and he makes sure he warms it up real good now before he rides...

C+D hooked me up with a kickass oil tank dipstick with a built in temp guage on the top so I can check the oil temp at any time. Aside from letting me monitor the oil temp when riding to make sure I keep it cool, it also lets me know when its actually warmed up and ready to ride. It was a great investment and I use it all the time!!!

throwinitup
12-18-2004, 09:26 AM
whats up paul? whatchu been up to man?

mattonln
12-19-2004, 10:14 PM
yeah, two words.... dumb @$$ to anyone who likes to foul plugs before they even ride! my friend thinks he knows everything about quads and loves to show off his noisy @$$ LRD pipe at the staging area at the dunes and it cost him a complete rebuild after just 50 hrs on his 400ex...

Out_Sider
12-19-2004, 11:46 PM
i can't stand when people do that, i'll crank mine up and let it idle by itself for about 5 minutes while im puttin my gear on before i go reving the thing. i mean one of my friends will jsut crank his quad up even after it sittin in the cold garage all night and just rev it right after just cranking it

watts16
12-20-2004, 07:53 AM
i just give enough gas to keep run when i start it up

UglyMotha™
12-20-2004, 08:03 AM
i like to bounce mine off the limiter when i first fire her up, warms alot quicker that way :o

throwinitup
12-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i like to bounce mine off the limiter when i first fire her up, warms alot quicker that way :o

lmao....thats good ****. haha how often do you put a topend in that beast? btw, ive been checkin out your OMR site...we need to hookup and goto bear creek sometime or even elson, i live like 15 min from either of them...pm me or somethin sometime

UglyMotha™
12-20-2004, 01:29 PM
we'll hit it up later in the spring guy, i usally hibernate in the winter bout the only thing i ride thru the winter is sleds

bike is parked for a rebuild :o :eek:

EXRIDER400KFX
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I did a top end rebuild for a friends 400ex and he used to rev it up at start up to warm it up quicker even though I told him not to. When I pulled it apart the cylinder walls and piston had the infamous "black death" streaks in them which is an indication of beating on the bike when its cold. I fixed it all up for him and rebuilt his top end and he makes sure he warms it up real good now before he rides...

C+D hooked me up with a kickass oil tank dipstick with a built in temp guage on the top so I can check the oil temp at any time. Aside from letting me monitor the oil temp when riding to make sure I keep it cool, it also lets me know when its actually warmed up and ready to ride. It was a great investment and I use it all the time!!!

you've got a PM ;)

Plante400
12-20-2004, 09:18 PM
... uhhh if you want your truck/wheeler to stay running, REV THE CRAP OUT OF IT ON START UP!
haha JK

Bad idea always give little throttle and let your bike or truck warm up, sometimes if you give too much throttle on start up the bike wll shut off and not wanna start haha... i have seen it done..
o well my 2 cents