PDA

View Full Version : polishing

devildriver422
12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
hey i wanna polish some stuff...how easy is it for me to do and how much does it cost about for me to send it somewhere....and what will i need as far as tools and such

TheFontMaster
12-17-2004, 05:14 PM
It's actualy quite easy to polish parts. But it is time consuming. You want to start out using 180 grit sand paper to get rid of any paint, scratches, or any other defects in the metal. Then got to 400 grit sand paper meking shure to get out all the 180 scratches, then 1200 gritt, then 1500 grit, you can stop there, but you will get better results if you go up to 2000 grit. After that to get the best posible shine you should use a power buffer with a wool pad, and polishing compound. But just useing some mothers aluminum polish and a rag and hand buffing ca still get you some pritty good results. The hardest part is getting out all the scratches, and getting into the little areas of whatever it is that you are polishing.

devildriver422
12-17-2004, 05:19 PM
i have a dremel tool could i use that with a buffer pad on it? oh and also what kind of metal are some things that can be polished and is there a different way to do different metals?

sampleez
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
i just use a drill with a buffing wheel, i think i got it at wal-mart or lowes. here's my hmf i recently did. started w/ 220 grit, then 400, 800, and 1000, then i polished w/ brown and white compound and finished w/ eagle one rubbing compound. it's not perfect, but i looks a bit better than b4. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pfd4cb7e39094c3a3328c3a2fb1a5ec32/f5f97e7a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/p19ed34f110626e533d95cc5c5c664d19/f5f97e8b.jpg

devildriver422
12-17-2004, 05:35 PM
so wait i get the sanding part....then i use a polishing wheel? and put which compound on it....and should i use a different wheel for each different compound? basically i just need to know about the compounds and wheels or buffers

sampleez
12-17-2004, 07:15 PM
i used the same wheel for both compounds, but it wouldn't hurt to have separate ones. the wheel i bought came with four sticks of compound with it, brown- gets out scratches and white-finishing.... makes it shinier

devildriver422
12-17-2004, 07:35 PM
ok so i sand it till its smooth then i put on a polishing wheel and some compound and just use that until its good? will i have to clean it before it gets its full shine or do i just keep polishing until its shiny....and also, can i do bigger parts with a dremel or will it have swirl marks....and about how much does polishing cost per part

Mxjunkie
12-19-2004, 08:20 AM
for some parts you can just take mothers mag and aluminum polish or speedys and it will polish right up

ZRider400
12-19-2004, 08:27 AM
buffing wheels are the best way to polish... and make the best outcome.

mothers is mainly for "maintaining" the shine.

for prices check out:
http://www.**********.net/custompolishing.htm

devildriver422
12-19-2004, 12:31 PM
ok so if im gonna buy something would somethin like this be good? http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buff_machine.htm and if i got the kit would i need to buy anything along with it or is that everything

TheFontMaster
12-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by devildriver422
ok so if im gonna buy something would somethin like this be good? http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buff_machine.htm and if i got the kit would i need to buy anything along with it or is that everything

That looks like a good kit. although I would sugest that you also buy some polishiung compund. instead of using the bar that comes with that kit. But thats just my oppinion. I've never used bars and I don't know how well they work.

devildriver422
12-19-2004, 04:23 PM
hmm well ive been lookin at stuff about polishing and some people actually just use drills so im not sure ill keep looking...but what is everything made of it seems like each metal should be polished different...so what is what? also, if i did get that, how would i polish things like the insides of nerfs or would it not be a problem

ZRider400
12-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
That looks like a good kit. although I would sugest that you also buy some polishiung compund. instead of using the bar that comes with that kit. But thats just my oppinion. I've never used bars and I don't know how well they work.

those "bars" that come with it are the compounds...

each one is made for different stages..... like removing scratches, or just buffing to a shiny finish etc

what u do is hold it against the wheel while its spinning....the compound kinda melts onto the wheel and sticks to it. then when you buff the metal it works onto it.

TheFontMaster
12-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
those "bars" that come with it are the compounds...

each one is made for different stages..... like removing scratches, or just buffing to a shiny finish etc

what u do is hold it against the wheel while its spinning....the compound kinda melts onto the wheel and sticks to it. then when you buff the metal it works onto it.

Yea I wasn't shure how they worked. I haven't heard of them before.

jasson450r
12-25-2004, 05:30 PM
i used this on my 450r, start with a cloth polishing, and ruge get it at trucking stops, they use it on their fuel tanks. works great it comes in three sticks ,a rought to take off paint, a medium, and a fine use the rough then the medium, finally use the fine for a mirror finsh.

drifterx
12-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Ya, mothers rocks! I polished my buddies Big Gun, and new DG grab bar with mothers. It was blinging, almost totally smooth! I heared Pappy say it helps to put it on with your bare hand and rub it in till its pitch black, then buff it off with a clean rag or towel. I tried it that way, it works really good!

Warnerade
12-25-2004, 06:06 PM
dang ametuers....

drifterx
12-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
dang ametuers....

Thanks! We try our best! :D