PDA

View Full Version : Calling all experienced mechanics!!

atvracr350
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I am a intermediate mechanic with some knoweldge of small engines but not a whole lot. My secnario: The other day my friend and i were riding his kawasaki bayou 220. To make a long story short we ended up sinking it. After that the thing would not crank for nothing. I tried all the basic stuff. Drain the engine of the water and oil, change spark plug, change oil, clean carb, clean airfilter and box, check if it had spark, getting fuel and all that. I then did a compression check and got 51 psi. That is not enough compression to start it. I took the jug off and felt the cylinder. It was smooth as a baby's bottom, with no cracks. The piston looked alright too. The only thing i can think of is maybe the rings but why would they go out just all of a sudden when we hit the water.??????????? I need some help guys, tell me what you think. Thanks, Kyle

sickmojave
12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Did you try adjusting the valves before you took it apart?

atvracr350
12-17-2004, 02:53 PM
yea, they were almost perfect actually i am pretty sure i have double checked every thing and i just can't figure it out

Cly
12-17-2004, 03:29 PM
You may try and squert some oil down in the cylinder.The water may have washed it out.that will bump up the compression and after you get it going do another comression test and see what is.Just a thought but that is what I would do.

Let us know

Cly...

mojoe2878
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
did you check the head real good for cracks? you need to pour some kind of solvent in the intake and exhaust chambers and see if it leaks out from anywhere.
if the water was cold and the engine hot, then you may have cracked the head. just because you cant see a crack doesnt mean that there isnt one there.

speedy400
12-17-2004, 09:53 PM
head gasket good?as said before cracked cylinder is a nice possibility.-darren

CRE Performance
12-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Sounds to me like when it ingested water it may have hydrolocked and slightly bent the rod. If it bent the rod the piston wouldnt come all the way to the top for a good quench. It would only take the piston being .200 lower to cause that much of a change. Id check the connecting rod.

palot
12-18-2004, 05:03 PM
good call cre. sounds like a bent rod to me.piston should flush with top of cylinder.you can ad a chalk mark 1/2" down from top of cylinder and check if rings are traveling the same stroke as originally. hope this helps:ermm:

chucked
12-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
Sounds to me like when it ingested water it may have hydrolocked and slightly bent the rod. If it bent the rod the piston wouldnt come all the way to the top for a good quench. It would only take the piston being .200 lower to cause that much of a change. Id check the connecting rod.

yup^

speedy400
12-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Well done Cre, atvracr350, you should have posted that it inhaled some water.-darren

atvracr350
12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Well see that is the problem. Head gasket is good. Rod is good (checked by a experienced mechanic) and 99.99% sure there is not a crack that is visible. And the piston did come up flush with the cylinder. And about it inhaling water i am not sure it did or not. Sorry i can't be of more help but i am stumped. By the way thanks for the replys keep them coming.

CRE Performance
12-19-2004, 09:35 AM
If its low on compression, there are only 7 things that can cause it, period. It has to be one of them....

1. cracked cylinder
2. cracked head
3. cracked or broke piston
4. burnt, bent or leaking valve or other valve sealing problem.
5. bent connecting rod
6. piston rings broke, burnt or washed down
7. head gasket

If its not one of these, your compression tester is faulty.

atvracr350
12-20-2004, 07:14 PM
thanks man that helped out a lot. i now have somewhere to start.lol