PDA

View Full Version : Im Scared!! ( No Joke...Help)

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Look guys i recently went mud ridin on my 300ex ok so i put a supertrapp pipe on and re jetted it changed the oil and oil filter then i ran it it looked all good.......the next day i went mud ridin and i filled it up with gas when i got there i started to ride and i notice blue smoke commin outta my pipe so i thought hummmm runnin rich so i rode the whole day not worryin about it and it was runnin fine i dragged a warrior and beat it even.....when i got it home i pulled it off the trailer and cranked it but it wasnt runnin good everytime i would gas it.... it would bog like a mug so i said ok let me take my crap off so i put stoick pipe on and jetting and TRIED to crank it but it would barely crank it was like before but only worse....... when i put on the choke it runs better than without it come on guys help me out i am scared haha....oh and i did pull the plug and it is black im gonna get another today

250exen
04-22-2002, 05:28 PM
same thing happened to me last time i went muddin. i went to go get it (it was at my uncles) to drive it home by the tracks and it wouldnt start. this was the next day also. anyway, when i finally got it started, i drove it home and it was fine. musta been colged or somethin somewhere.

just my $.02

tj

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 05:30 PM
this was 2 weekends ago and it still dont crank i am hopin its the plug

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Bump:( :( :( :( :(

400exJOE
04-22-2002, 06:16 PM
well it sounds like you are too rich. Did you just change the main jet (and to what size) or did you also lower the needle clip 1 notch? If the plug is carbonized, then you are too rich. How many disks are you running? Did you have your air box lid on? Try charging up your battery just for the he!! of it. Also, make sure its clean. Maybe you got mud on electrical stuff.

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 06:21 PM
no i out all my stock crap on jet etx. it will turn over turn over turn over but wont run run see what im sayin but it will run on choke

TRX_Thumper
04-22-2002, 06:27 PM
no i out all my stock crap on jet etx.

No we dont understand. So you are running stock jetting with an aftermarket muffler? Ok first off all since the choke helps it that indicates you are running lean...about the plug bein black....well since you were lean you have fouled it out....thats what fouled plugs look like...u have overheated your motot if you are runnin stock jetting and burned a hole in the piston or somethin to that nature.

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 06:30 PM
NO NO NO haha Look guys i recently went mud ridin on my 300ex ok so i put a supertrapp pipe on and re jetted it changed the oil and oil filter then i ran it it looked all good.......the next day i went mud ridin and i filled it up with gas when i got there i started to ride and i notice blue smoke commin outta my pipe so i thought hummmm runnin rich so i rode the whole day not worryin about it and it was runnin fine i dragged a warrior and beat it even.....when i got it home i pulled it off the trailer and cranked it but it wasnt runnin good everytime i would gas it.... it would bog like a mug so i said ok let me take my crap off so i put stoick pipe on and jetting and TRIED to crank it but it would barely crank it was like before but only worse....... when i put on the choke it runs better than without it come on guys help me out i am scared haha....oh and i did pull the plug and it is black im gonna get another today,......................... i had a aftermarket muffler on and rejetting in then when i got home i rejetted it back to stock and put my sock muffler on it

TRX_Thumper
04-22-2002, 06:33 PM
Well still it was blowin blue smoke wich is not rich....u had a lean condition with aftermarket muffler cause of wrong jetting sounds like....charge your battery an get it to start.....

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 06:38 PM
GAHHHHH NO!!!!!@ It ISNT ELECTRICAL...... I CAN GET IT TO CRANK IN CHOKE BUT I CAN GET IT TO CRANK WITHOUT IT BUT NOT REAL GOOD IT WILL BARELY IDLE THEN DIE

400exJOE
04-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Deffinatly replace your plug, then maybe clean your carb and air filter.

TRX_Thumper
04-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Well gal damn quit bein so damn stupid an fuggin buy a plug! Thats why it wont start. Just tryin to help there dick!

Live2Ride300
04-22-2002, 06:43 PM
this is a little off subject, but what does "bump" mean?

dude, i dont understand what u are trying to say. Did you put the supertrap on, rejet, change oil/filter before u went mudding???

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 06:45 PM
live 2 ride- yeah

trx- i didnt mean it to sound mean i am just friggin frustrated sorry bruh

400exJOE
04-22-2002, 06:46 PM
you just say "bump" to keep your post at the top of the forum so more peeps will see it and reply.

Live2Ride300
04-22-2002, 06:48 PM
ohh ok, got it, thanx man

04-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Checkl your plug first see how it looks. When was the last time you had a rebuild? maybe rings are getting bad.. just some things to think about

400exBro
04-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Doesn't mean your are buring up your oil, check your oil level before the next time you crank it over or else you are screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bro

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 07:20 PM
OH NO
i checked my oil level....it wasnt even showin up on the stick only on one side........am i screwed?

400exJOE
04-22-2002, 07:28 PM
maybe, maybe not. At least its not siezed up. I'd say its time for a rebuild tho. Also, check for oil leaks. See if you have any oil in the quad. Also, drain what you have and look for metal filings in the oil. I would deffinatly tear down the top end and check out you piston and rings. Deffinatly replace your rings too. See if the cylinder is scratched up. Good luck. And let us know what ya find.

Smoker
04-22-2002, 07:31 PM
It sounds doubtful but try unscrewing your gas cap and starting it. Your vent tube might be filled up with mud:p

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 07:32 PM
ok ill see what i can do

Atomic83
04-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Sometimes when I check my oil it won't show up on the stick at all (if it's cold or if it's warm). And sometimes it will show that I have too much oil...

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 07:39 PM
ok keep them commin im still decidein on what to do thanks for the advice so far

04-23-2002, 07:34 AM
have ya bought a plug yet?????

MichaelS693
04-23-2002, 08:19 PM
no, my dad bought the wrong one haha hes goin to buy the right one tomorrow i changed my opil and thank god no metal.....my air filter could stand some cleanin though but i took it off and still ran bad

MichaelS693
04-24-2002, 06:26 PM
ok guys check this out i need more help ok i put a new plug in and it is running however i still am smoking its blue smoke.....what is the reason for this and it wont even crank with my air filter on i take it off and leave my lid on and it runs fine is it just common and i need a new filter and if i do im gettin a K&N and a pipe and it will be next month before i get it i need help guys please haha

MichaelS693
04-24-2002, 06:53 PM
bummmmm-p:huh :macho

Scott
04-24-2002, 07:09 PM
ok, first off blue smoke is not fuel, it's oil. If you're running rich it will blow black smoke. If you're burning oil it blows blue. If it's a liquid cooled engine (which yours isn't) and it gets coolant in the cylinder it blows white clouds, not little puffs like condensation, smoke.

Since you said it was low on oil, and you were muddin', I'd guess you were revin it pretty hard. And drag racing. My guess is that you've probably done some damage to the engine. High rpms, lots of heat (not much ground speed when you're mud boggin) and low oil is a real bad combination.

If you're blowing blue clouds of smoke, you've probably wasted your rings, and possibly scratched the cylinder. If any crud got it there when you were muddin, it would also wipe out the rings and scratch up the bore.

Have a mechanic tear down the top end and take a look at it for you. Might be time for a rebuild.

PS: Probably would be a good idea to keep a little closer eye on the oil level from now on. Oil is much cheaper than a rebuild.

400exJOE
04-24-2002, 07:12 PM
well i am almost sure that blue smoke is oil. So...my guess is your rings need to be replaced. Are you back to all stock jetting and pipe and filter? Stock needle position, stock main jet, and stock slow speed screw placement? If not, get those right first! I do not understand why it will not crank with the filter on. Do you mean it will not run, or the starter will not actually turn the engine? Keep giving more info and we'll keep the advice comming.:)

MichaelS693
04-24-2002, 07:29 PM
yeah i am all stock i changed my oil in it and i have the correct amount this time and since i need rings im gonna just go ahead and put a piston in :D :D cause i am buyin a spakrs pipe and a filter so i will just go ahead and get a piston:D :D :)

400exJOE
04-24-2002, 07:37 PM
i thought u have a supertrapp? I would just get her running right b4 you put a $400 exhaust on her.

MichaelS693
04-24-2002, 07:43 PM
no i borrowed that pipe from steven gates45 so you all think it is my piston rings?

02REDEXRIDER
04-24-2002, 08:24 PM
sounds to me like your needle valve in your carb is clogged with gunk. make sure and clean your carb real good and also check your air filter.:p ;)

skemp
04-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Here you go:
You didn't put in enough oil when you changed it, so after all that hard riding, you fried the rings,.. Might have also scorched the exhaust port. If you are real lucky, you cracked a piston skirt from all the heat and now since you have been running it since then, you could have tore up your bottom end to he||.

This is all theoretical, but I can almost guarantee you fried the rings. Have fun. :D

04-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Yep, most likely rings and piston. Just pull the top end apart quick before you order anything, so you know what you need. You may need rings only, or mabye rings piston and sleeve. It all depends on how badly you beat things up in there.

MichaelS693
04-25-2002, 03:34 PM
i am pretty sure its my rings i am just gonna go ahead bore it and put a new piston in

400exBro
04-25-2002, 03:44 PM
you have a hard time cranking it over because your cylinder walls have gone to sh*t and maybe even blow something up like Skemp said so that means your walls have gone to sh*t as well if something happened to break, so that mean you will need to get it bored out new rings, also check the crank to make sure you didn't sieze that up too or reck the bearing in it because they ain't cheap either......
Next buy a 4x4 if you want mudding or else stay on trails and mx tracks.
Bro

MichaelS693
04-25-2002, 04:07 PM
oh it cranks just not with my filter on and it smokes that is about it
i was thiknkin should this go in the FAQ forum or no i dont give a crap i just thought it would be helpful

MichaelS693
04-25-2002, 08:02 PM
thanks everyone for helpin me out with my prob. if you have any suggestions i am always willing to hear

skemp
04-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Just to clarify...
When the motor cranks, that means the starter is physically turning the motor over, like it should.
When the motor fires, it is cranking, and the plug is igniting the air/fuel mix.
You have cranking confused with firing. I think this is what messed up a lot of others, including myself.
Not to be a dick at all man, but you might want to have somebody else do the motor work for you. Doesn't sound like you have the experience to handle a job like a bore job and new piston, rings, etc. If something isn't assembled right, and you run the motor after rebuilding it, you will mess up A LOT more than just your rings. Just a heads up bud.

MichaelS693
04-25-2002, 08:50 PM
i wont bore it i will just put the piston in i can do that i can get someone to bore it for me

TRX_Thumper
04-26-2002, 06:46 PM
Still if all you have worked on is a blaster you dont need to tear into a motor with a cam, chain, and valves...its much hearder than a blaster and has 2 be timed right

MichaelS693
04-26-2002, 08:23 PM
what is the stock bore size?

04-27-2002, 10:24 PM
u could have put to much oil in it?????:confused:

04-28-2002, 12:13 AM
blue smoke doesnt mean that your running rich! it means your burning oil or the motor is ready to blow. If your rich then the smoke should be black cuz that is what exhaust smoke looks like when it is burning gas.

so remember. if its blue your in trouble if its black u just need carb adjustments as in jetting.

phatswinn
04-28-2002, 10:18 AM
or you could have really really f-ed up and used some chainsaw gas/oil mix, i'm thinking that you need rings and you should just quit trying to get it running because that could just mess it up more. its not hard to take the top end apart unless your really mechanicily challenged, but if you dont want to do it take it to your local dealer, that way, when it happens again you can say they screwed up , you just have to pay some major cash:confused: :huh