PDA

View Full Version : wider axle

nosliw
12-16-2004, 10:28 PM
i'm thinking of asking santa for a wider axle for my 400ex this year;)

how hard are we talkin for install? 1-10?

i'm not sure how wide to go, i want to be able to swing my rear a little better and have better stability but dont want to compromise my trail riding too much.

any experiences?

dn1911
12-17-2004, 12:51 AM
install isn't that bad, but i would invest in a set of axel nut wrenches. just take your time and get a manual so you are sure you put it back together with all the seals in the right place. i would rate it as a 7 for the first time.

as far as width +2 but i would try top find one that goes +4 also. then you can change it back and forth depending on where you ride that day.

awsomeaussies
12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I also asked Santa for a axle;) I want the g-force axle. That way i can shorten it when I go trail riding, and widen it for mx.

JDiablo
12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
most liekly the hardest thing will be removing the hubs,but loosen the sprocket bolts and everything while it is still toghter and put the quad in 1st gear,that usually helps,but other then that is it easyt

02Yellow400
12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
the hubs are usually easy. Dont forget to ask santa for new bearings with that axle. The axle nut is confusing its left hand threads. Back that off...then remove the C-clip that usually give people the problems there first time

brazilian rider
12-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I just got a G Force axle for my 450R. Do I need a set of axel nut wrenches or any other aftermarket part for it:

QuAdEr 317
12-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 02Yellow400
the hubs are usually easy. Dont forget to ask santa for new bearings with that axle. The axle nut is confusing its left hand threads. Back that off...then remove the C-clip that usually give people the problems there first time

true but once u putta antifade on its all cake from there

TC426EX
12-17-2004, 03:08 PM
It is not a hard job whatsoever man... Make sure you remove the hubs and sprocket while its still on the bike. Then all you do is just loosen the axle nut and the pinch bolts on the swingarm and pull the old sucker out and slide the new one in. Couldnt be a more cut and dry job man. If youre gonna get a new axle, you should also DEFINITELY get a new axle nut like the RAD or Durablue. These are only like 30-40 bucks and they use a pinchbolt system instead of the stupid left handed jam nut the stocker uses. I am of the opinion that the stock axle nut is ONE TIME use only. Once it is loosened and removed it should NEVER make it back onto your bike!! That thing is a headache and youll see what Im talkin about when you try to loosen it... My advice would be to remove it and promptly throw it in the garbage like I did...

nosliw
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
thanks for the replies

i've got a clymers layin around here somewhere, so i'll get looking for that.

first guy said 7/10? wow. 1 being like rejetting it.

im going with the g-force axle. cheap and havent heard anything bad about em

new axle nut, eh? i just need one? which one would work? just gimme a link to rockymountainatv.com if they sell it, that's where i get my stuff from.

QUADER what's antifade?

thanks guy

edit

found my clymers, install looks easy-cheesy. do i need to buy that special wrench for the inner locknut? looks like a huge boxend wrench. and i'm sure i can get a cresent that big, or possibly an open end.

sampleez
12-17-2004, 06:56 PM
just use channel locks or a pipewrech

nosliw
12-17-2004, 08:10 PM
thanks sampleez, will do with the channel locks

Originally posted by nosliw

new axle nut, eh? i just need one? which one would work? just gimme a link to rockymountainatv.com if they sell it, that's where i get my stuff from.

QUADER what's antifade?

TC426EX
12-17-2004, 09:52 PM
An antifade nut is not really worth it unless you can find one used. They are around 200 bucks, and the axle nut I was talking about getting is 40 or less like I said. All an antifade is is an axle nut that incorporates the rear brake caliper mount in one piece with the nut. Since its one piece the heat generated from using the rear brakes hard is better dissipated through the metal of the axle nut, making less "fade" in the rear brakes over long riding sessions. Youll be fine with the regular pinch bolt axle nut, but whatever you do, do not put the stocker back on... To get the stock one off youll need a big pipe/monkey wrench, a 6 foot pole to put on the end of it, and alot of elbow grease and muscle to work it loose. Youll probably need another body there to help you and sit on your bike with the brakes applies while you crank away at it. Once you get it loose, Im convinced youll see why I say just throw the damn thing away...

Jersey450R
12-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by brazilian rider
I just got a G Force axle for my 450R. Do I need a set of axel nut wrenches or any other aftermarket part for it:
Someone on here has a g-force that bent on the 1st time they jumped their 450R. :(

Joe400ex
03-31-2005, 01:00 AM
is the G Force axle any good also i heard if u jump to hi u can bend it please reply:)

QuadJunkies
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
Someone on here has a g-force that bent on the 1st time they jumped their 450R. :( yuppers.. Our buddys Fastbikes had that happen. I think they got a full repfund, but dont quote me on that and they ended up getting something different and have had no problems with the new axle.

Joe400ex
03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
yuppers.. Our buddys Fastbikes had that happen. I think they got a full repfund, but dont quote me on that and they ended up getting something different and have had no problems with the new axle.

the web doesnt work:confused:

QuadJunkies
03-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
the web doesnt work:confused: huh???

Joe400ex
03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
huh???

for ur website to see videos but i got it srry, i was wondering how high do u have to jump to bend an axle from G- Force:confused: :confused:

QuadJunkies
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
not sure, but I know fastbikes was only up like 4 ft when it broke :o

www.quadjunkies.neptune.com is that what you wree looking for??

Joe400ex
03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
thanks i got it