PDA

View Full Version : XR 400 cam update

FlyinRed
09-04-2001, 05:00 PM
I dropped my xr400 cam from marcum's in this weekend and got it broke in. I'm going riding tonight, so I'll have a better feel for the diffrence. As far as I can tell it rev's quite a bit faster and has enough power to wellie well into 3rd gear. I'll post more tonight after I get back.:macho

rhandw69
09-04-2001, 09:17 PM
Hey when we finally heading to the hills???
Ive finally broke my bike in from the 416 but im sure youve read my post about how it ran at the dunes this past weekend.
Im in need of desperate help with my jetting. Im anxious to see how you like that cam. I think thats my next investment. Let me know where you gained and lost with it.
Rhan

MIKE400EX
09-05-2001, 10:57 AM
Hey FlyinRed! Let us know what changes the XR cam made to the off-idle and low end power. Did you put the quiet core in your silencer? Thanks!

FlyinRed
09-05-2001, 11:24 AM
I didn't get to go riding last night due to a "friend" not calling me back. Rahn if you want to go riding after work, I get home at about 6:30. We could jet up to Victor Falls (orting) for a couple of hours. As far as jetting goes, just look at my signature. I think it's a little too much (plug was black) before the cam, but with your mods it might be just right. It only stumbles when you stab it at idle. a little slower thumb motion and the thing screams. And that was before the cam. I also heard a rumor about a small weekend trip to Florence this weekend. I'll check on that tonight.

Blackguywithouta400
09-10-2001, 11:11 PM
Can you give directions to victor falls? I would love to be albe to ride after work some times. Since i work in federal Way it would be very close.

FlyinRed
09-11-2001, 08:32 AM
Just kidding.
I sat down to write you the directions and just plain can't visualize it. If you want to go one night let me knowa day in advance and I'll meet you at the Chevron in Alderton. The day in advance is for loading the Quad, and having gear and Gas ready.
Sorry I can't be more help. I'll go get some coffffffeeeeee.:huh

MIKE400EX
09-11-2001, 10:38 AM
FlyinRed>> How do you like the XR400 cam in your motor? Where did it help? I've got basically the same combination - less the cam and am very interested. Thanks in advance!

FlyinRed
09-13-2001, 01:41 PM
I get to go riding Saturday and Sunday, so I'll have a report about how the cam did.

Hey Rhan69, you still interested in riding Sunday? I found a private track and my cousin and I are going sunday to clean it up, then tear it up.:devil :D :macho

09-14-2001, 02:24 AM
FlyinRed -

This might help:

When I went with the 450/451 webcam in my 416, I also got that quick bog when stabbing the throttle (clears up almost as soon as it happens). Other than that, it was jetted perfectly.

All I did was remove the accelerator pump linkage (a flat plate) from the side of the carb (under the black cover). It appears that the new cam/engine doesn't care for the extra squirt of fuel that stock 400's like.

To remove: This linkage is just attached with one screw - a simple removal. Plus, it's just as easy to put back on if it doesn't solve the problem.

ogre

FlyinRed
09-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Rode yesterday with Rahd69 and Blackguyona400 and the cam rocks! My advice, DO IT DO IT DO IT! :D I have a 14 tooth front sprocket and 22" rears and I'm going back to the 15 now. I might ba looking for a 16 now due to my paddles being 20" Th bike rapps out much faster and I don't think any place in the rev band suffered. Regular mild ridding is still the great 400 we like, but grab a gear and talk about wheel speed.:devil I think the thing is fast. Maybe Rahdw69 and Blackguyona400 will get on here and talk a little about what they thought. This was deffinatly worth the $120 from Marcums. Even if you dont do the XR400, do something. I don't think dealing with hardfacing is worth it, but get something.:devil

rhandw69
09-23-2001, 07:16 PM
Yeah he is rite, i rode his and more than impressed with the new cam. I like how it gets up to speed. Scott, I put the 15 t on today and put in a 170 main, so well see how it does? Im more than frustrated with this thing, im beginning to think that something else is off like maybe my cam timing or something. So I think to fix it Ill just order a new One!:)
Im anxious to see that hill climb you were talking about though.
Anyways,,,,,,
Go with the XR cam guys!!!
Rhan

barbwire44
10-12-2001, 12:15 PM
Just like to know what the xr cam did to youre low end power. And if you did any rejetting after you installed the cam im gonna order my cam next week i ordered my je 406 this week so one thing at a time.

FlyinRed
10-12-2001, 03:25 PM
I betya I gained a bit, I noticed a lot more mid to top. I'ts alomst enough for me.

I think a turbo and/or Nitrous is the next mod.

rhandw69
10-14-2001, 10:46 PM
I was gonna call you and ask you this but since Im on here here ya go.
So since you have been to Sand Lake and all, so what do you think about that cam down in those tree shots. DO you tHink that it is a better way to go with that now.
I hear alot of people who say that you need a mid to top end cam for the snow, but sometimes i think they forget about the low end torque you need as well. What do you think is the better way to go.
A XR cam or something like more aggressive style that goes more for mid and top.
If i didnt explain my concern good enough, just call me.
Take care
RHan

FlyinRed
10-15-2001, 09:25 AM
The
sand is all about wheel speed (Look at the Banshee). Period. I can do the tree shots, just not as fast. I can't get out of 2nd gear on those. The banshee cah do it between 3rd and 4th.

Never ridden in the snow.

I think the xr is a great cam, and you know (from riding one) what your gunna get. Everyone here says that a bore and cam really rock. So the xr might even make a bigger improvement on yours. You can try something else, I was looking at the white bors. race cam ($140 or so) and I would have bought that if I didn't hear so mich about the xr here. I almost forgot the GT Thunder. A little more expencive, but they alwayse get good reviews. I know I got my money's worth, and thats a good testimony. If your looking at a banshee, stick with the xr. You'll have a bad *** machine and a duner.

10-15-2001, 03:35 PM
Does this Marcum's have a web site? I would sure like you to post it so I could look into this cam. Thanks!!!

FlyinRed
10-15-2001, 03:41 PM
CLICK LINK AT TOP OF PAGE.
^
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
l
l
l
l
l
l

10-15-2001, 03:48 PM
does the cam affect the reliablity of the motor?

FlyinRed
10-15-2001, 03:55 PM
I can rely on it being faster than yours.

The real answer is no, unless you have Rahn69 do the work
(he, he, he)

rhandw69
10-15-2001, 06:06 PM
Yeah sure send it my way!!!
A mechanic I never claimed to be!!!
So with that said, I guess that means FlyinRed is up for hire when I get my XR cam.

FlyinRed
10-16-2001, 08:30 AM
HAVE WRENCHES.

WILL DRINK!