View Full Version : Whats more Useful?

fasterz
12-16-2004, 07:08 PM
What is more usful when working on the quad, a welder or an air compressor, and would 32gal be enough to work on the quad? the welder would be nice cuz i have a few parts that need to be welder but i can get that done for 20 bucks so i duno if its worth it to spend 400 bucks on one. or should i go with an air compressor, but how offen do u really take off those impossible bolts, ya know? so give me your input on what you think would be best for me for a present from my parents

TheFontMaster
12-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Go with the welder. If something breaks then you have the welder there to use it. It doesn't have to be just for the quad.

nosliw
12-16-2004, 07:31 PM
it depends on what you do man. either one of these will only be for your quad? if that's the case i wouldn't get either. i'd take that potential cash and do some engine work. if there's a lot of stuff that would demand air tools besides your quad, go for that, and vice versa.

400exrules
12-16-2004, 07:40 PM
air compressor......u wouldnt belive how much u could actually use it

my dad has one and its awesome, u could use it to dry off the quad after washin it with the air knozzle, or plugs tools up to it

WhiteZee
12-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules

400exdad
12-16-2004, 07:55 PM
They are both awesome tools. I think if I had to choose it would be a compressor. They are great from airing up tires and other inflatables to running impacts, air chisels, paint guns, and blowing out just cleaned carbs. The welder on the other hand takes a little practice to do well..... but will also be an indispencible tool when you get one. I use my compressor pretty much everytime I'm in the garage... as a matter of fact, I have two, one for the garage/shop 220V and one that is mobile and runs on 120V.... it typically stays in the front garage to air up car and bike tires, and balls. So with all that, I would again suggest the compressor.... however, I wouldn't suggest a 32 gallon tank. That will take up valuable space and really just keeps the compressor from starting quite as often... really no biggie with normal shop tools. The only time you need a really big tank is for lifts, tire machines and items that use TONS of air. The main thing to look at is the SCFM of the compressor at different pressures (40 and 90 psi) and the air tools you are going to use. An impact really doesn't use that much, but a sander uses a bunch since its like an open air hose. Therefore, I would spend more on a good compressor (a dual stage is awesome) and less on the tank. I think my small one is a 12 gallon and the big one is 20. I have no problem with air unless I'm running my sander.... the compressor just barely keeps up with it.

Butters
12-16-2004, 09:52 PM
make life easier and get both. that way you can have tons of air tools which are cool cause then you can play nascar, and a welder to fix crap you break. of course you can't weld crap, but you can weld metal.:D

416exmx
12-16-2004, 10:20 PM
if you cant weld or have never used a welder i wouldnt recommend a welder. dont weld around on your quad unless you know what you are doing. i think the compressor would be better. like they said there are many attachments that can go with the compressor.

MY450R
12-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules

my dad has one and its awesome, u could use it to dry off the quad after washin it with the air knozzle, or plugs tools up to it
this is true im always using it