PDA

View Full Version : Houser Long Travel front End

ftr76vetquad
12-16-2004, 05:24 PM
I have got a YFZ450 and am fixing to put shocks and a-arms on it was wondering if it is worth putting HOUSER long travel on a XC quad or just go with regular travel shocks,my Z400 had regular travel and worked out pretty good but I have not been able to ride a quad with the long travel. I am just looking for some feedback Thanks!!!!!!

jb500ex
12-18-2004, 05:57 AM
if you can afford long travel go with it

SRH
12-18-2004, 10:33 AM
for that price id get walsh im not too thrilled with houser stuff ive owned

TRX Smoker
12-19-2004, 03:44 PM
for that price id get walsh im not too thrilled with houser stuff ive owned

There is a big price difference between Houser and Walsh.:huh

Zwanter
12-19-2004, 05:12 PM
not really........houser is what $950? and walsh is just over $1000

SRH
12-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Zwanter
not really........houser is what $950? and walsh is just over $1000

yeah last i checked houser is abou a grand and walsh is about 11-1200 when your spending that much why not get something thats a better built better fitting product

shogun_98
12-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Houser long travel a-arms are $795 a lot less than Walsh

Zwanter
12-20-2004, 04:35 PM
check again buddy......im pretty sure LT is $950. you're probably looking at standard travel.

Blasta400ex
12-20-2004, 04:43 PM
yeah i dont no where u canfind long travel a-arms for 765 or wuteva u said....

Sandsjbyz22
12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
JB Racing long travels are around the $700 dollar range.

shogun_98
12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Look on their website buddy www.houser-racing.com YFZ LT a-arms $795 Chrome tops $870 I have a price sheet right in front of me

Dave400ex
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
He is correct, they are $795. The 450R's are $850.

ESrider
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Other considerations are; the Walsh arms are fully adjustable, due to the heim joints, where the Houser arms aren't. The Houser arms have greasable needle bearings, that the Walsh arms don't. They're both great arms that have different features, but I would go with the Houser arms, just because I don't need the extra adjustments and would like to have the greasable bearings. If I had a dedicated race bike, I would go with the Walsh arms. The Walsh arms are more expensive, partly because you're paying for that extra adjustability.

Dave400ex
12-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Along with paying for the extra adjustability, you are also paying for the name. $1,200 for a-arms is out of control, but I believe with Walsh products you get what you pay for.

440ex kid
12-21-2004, 11:13 AM
yeah last i checked houser is abou a grand and walsh is about 11-1200 when your spending that much why not get something thats a better built better fitting product

I have a friend who just got some housers LT's on his honda 450r and they were the best fitting a-arms I have ever seen. Very well built if you ask me. I am not going to comment on walsh because i have not had any personal experience with them. Maybe others should get personal experience before you try and knock a product.

TBD
12-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Well said 440exkid.

Zwanter
12-21-2004, 02:35 PM
they must have finally noticed they were way overpriced. i swear they used to be 950

Zwanter
12-21-2004, 02:37 PM
ah forgot we were in the yfz thread......my bad. i have a Z so i got confused.

SRH
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
yeah lt housers were 950,i guess since everyone else is charging more for theres houser just dropped the price and there ripping off everyone who doesnt own a yfz...or you use all the stock yamaha a arms bushings and save there and 1200 isnt over priced add up the price of all the hardware and chromoly and total the costs, then put the time into building it and see...ive owned houser all the pc fell off, the top a arms were too narrow they slammed around until we made a plastic washer....if you want lt...and ur on a budget like me get laegers for 700 or jb...i wouldnt waste money on houser ,maybe there price dropped because they got more ....cheap labor in there building stuff:eek2: maybe thats being a lil harsh, but i was pissed off after all my powerdercoat fell off and they didnt fit this is on 2 quads... 2 diff sets of a arms..., i could of spray painted mine and it would of lasted longer than whatever they did.....

TBD
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
SRH, You can rip on the product but the mexican statement is uncalled for as far as I'm concerned. No, I'm not mexican either. Cheaper labor might be a way to put it. What's next, the "N" word.

SRH
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by TBD
SRH, You can rip on the product but the mexican statement is uncalled for as far as I'm concerned. No, I'm not mexican either. Cheaper labor might be a way to put it. What's next, the "N" word.

yes the n word is next nitrous

gizmocor
12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Not to defend any one side because if you are going to spend money on a-arms you should definitely research the product and company you are going to be dealing with, and I don't mean through bitter customers.

I use Houser stuff exclusively now but have had experience with several other brands.

As far as the Houser product......well, I can't argue that they haven't had their problems in the past. I have been using there stuff for going on 5 years and believe me I have seen it all! But, I have yet to see a company that has made the transition that they have over the past five years. The product that they are putting out now is some of the best stuff out there and they are constantly looking to make things better. Earlier this year they started using the factory Yamaha ball joints which were cheaper to obtain than the old style heim and stud, which is why the price was reduced. The ball joints are now as bulletproof as your stock ones and your getting the a-arms for $150 less. Also if you do wreck a ball joint you can order one from the local Yamaha dealer and you don't have to custom order anything.....much easier than trying to find the aftermarket ones that are being imported from Europe.. The needle bearings in the a-arms are virtually maitenance free if you keep them greased, and the arms are fully adjustable for Caster and Camber (remember this is the YFZ thread). I have had some problems with the upper a-arms wearing front to back, but this is a Yamaha flaw not a flaw in the a-arms. Because the YFZ has only a single upper mount and no rake to the frame it puts to much stress into the upper a-arm. Any A-arms you buy for the YFZ short of a heim setup or the extra mount welded to your frame is going to have that problem. But remember with a heim setup, it is a pain to setup if you don't know what your doing and if you don't get a good set they will wear out fast being completely exposed!! As far as geometry, most that have ridden my quads have been more than impressed. Steering is very predictable and smooth and suspension works awesome. And as far as durability, well, at St.Clairsville this year I ripped the arm off the right side of the quad only the a-arm wasn't the problem, the frame broke away. So I would guess if you DNF a race it isn't going to be from a broken a-arm they are more than strong enough.
Anyway just my 2 cents......like I said if your going to drop $800 on a long travel setup you should really call the companies and decide who you want to deal with as much as how good the products are. But for $795 the Houser stuff is some of the most reasonable priced and the most durable and they have always treated me great....

ftr76vetquad
12-21-2004, 07:42 PM
GIZMOCOR,
great unbiased reply!
I thank all who gave their 2 cents.
looks like long travel all the way!!!!!!

je450
12-22-2004, 09:03 PM
i got my +2 lt housers for $700 flat shipped to my door from haydug

exrider360
12-28-2004, 05:59 PM
srh i remmber seeing you at roayl mountain before you go on the line blue yfz all beefed up hipers was that you and another member with the name lathers with the 330r

Shocka400ex
01-03-2005, 12:28 PM
My opinion about Houser is that I feel they are right up there with the best of them. I actually excepted a sponsorship from them for the 05 season and i get a lot better prices then most but $795 is a hell of a deal for Long Travel Arms. I did a lot a research on wich company I would like to go with and I was not upset when my Houser arms came in the mail and I saw how indestructable they were. I have had a pair of Lone Star Arms and even though I would recommend them to others I have had a bad experience in the past that left a bad taste in my mouth.
For the record, Any powder coating that is done to the bottom arms is not going to withstand rocks and dirt without chipping.
The main reason I like Housers design of long travel arms is because they are not justible on the bottom arms. The arm is one complete peice with the ball joint that actually comes through the bottom end. I found that this is a week spot on other arms because all the preasure and impact from jumping is applied to the bottom Ball joint and these tend to break quite often. I have seen a few companys that have actually started making their arms the same way.
I would recommend Houser Long Travel arms to anyone. I feel they are the best product for the best price.

harescrambles
01-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by TBD

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shaff107
01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
well from what i have read in the FIRST POST !!! this is a XC set up right ??? well then if that is the case the Houser Racing is the way to go. As far as i have seen i have not seen ONE .... Walsh Front end ..... does he even make +1/2 a-arms ?? i guys are getting up set with one another of BS ... and opions are like ***** hole everyone has one just some stink worse then others.

SRH
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by exrider360
srh i remmber seeing you at roayl mountain before you go on the line blue yfz all beefed up hipers was that you and another member with the name lathers with the 330r

yeah i got a blue yfz with duncan graphics hipers and stuff, all black gear and helmet... the kid with the 330 with nacs graphics is lathersR off this site

Johnny & Monica
01-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I love my houser long travel a-arms but hated the cheap stem twisted the bottom on my stem an so has a coouple other people I race with . Then houser charges you 40.00 to repair it to thier updated bottom when they should fix it for free sence it was there bad design Bt I love my long travel with elkas

Shocka400ex
01-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Ya, I know the exact feeling. The Problem is that the YFZ's are still somewhat new and a lot of companies have changed designs of there a-arms, stems, swingarms ect... several times. I think the Houser stems NOW are pretty strong. My freinds and I have Bent our Lone stars stems every time we turn the bike over. 4 to be exact. You gotta figure, something has to bend. And I know that a good pair of TAG or Renthal bars are going to out last a good stem any day. Just sucks when you throw cash away like that so easy!