PDA

View Full Version : glowin red pipe

quad
12-16-2004, 04:01 PM
I am asking this for a friend that just bought an '05 400ex.He just bought it a few weeks ago.The other night he noticed the pipe was glowing red close to the head.He took it back to the dealer and they said they checked it all.They also said it was fine and it's because it has a stainless pipe on it and it holds in heat???I dont' believe it myself.I also don't think they even looked at it because he said they acted like they didnt wanna fool with it.They only care about makin sales,not helping the customer afterwards.Thats why I'm so happy I sold my ex and got a Z!!:D I never have to go back there again!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

mojoe2878
12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
was he riding when it started glowing red or had he been siting in on spot for a little while idiling. if you sit and idil for a little while some pipes will glow red. all my yzf dirt bikes do this and my 440ex will if i let it sit and idil for too long after it has warmed up or been ridin.

quad
12-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I believe he was sitting.I didnt take that into consideration.He said it runs perfect,so that kinda takes away the jetting as a possibility.:confused:

nosliw
12-16-2004, 04:26 PM
well, at least around here, if they say that they "checked it all", it means that they sat on their asses/kicked it a little.

check if the headpipes are bolted securely to the head.

watts16
12-16-2004, 05:30 PM
my dad said when the ATC 110s came out he got and he said he rode it until it glowed hot.

47501exracer
12-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Sometimes all of the fuel does not burn in the combustion chamber, it leaves out the exhaust and then burns in the header. I just saw the explanation a couple days ago in atvsport or 4 wheel atv. I can't remember what they said to fix it.

rob-u/21
12-16-2004, 06:55 PM
That is completely normal. Dont worry about it. The same thing happens to my 440 when I let it idle for a while.

AdvantageCycle
12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Completely normal, and way cool! The YFZ's will do it too, its usually most noticeable when your sitting still and no air is passing over the headpipe, or when your running at a constant high rpm, like flat tracking...........nonetheless I have always thought it was awesome.

400exrider707
12-17-2004, 01:12 AM
I dont think thats normal for a 400ex. You might see it once in a while on a YFZ because of the titanium headers. I've never heard of a 400ex doing it. Either way its not good, your jetting is too lean. There isn't enough incoming gas to cool it down and it starts running real hot. Jetting change would be recommended. I think you can just play with your mixture screw

rob-u/21
12-17-2004, 11:00 AM
I have a duncan 440 national kit with a fat boy 4 exhaust and when Idling the header will glow. I never noticed when I had my bike completely stock. My friend has a 450r with a yoshimura full exhaust system and his also glows in the dark.

big-guy
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Completely normal.

cals400ex
12-17-2004, 03:55 PM
if you want it to stop, tell me if it was ideling or if he was giving it a tad bit of gas while cruising.

if it was ideling, turn the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb out a little bit.
if it was when he was cruising, lower the needle clip one position.

the dealer was wrong about the headers. actually, you want the heat to stay in the pipe. this isn't what it is doing though. ceramic coating, for example, will help keep the heat in. the more heat that stays in the pipe, the quicker the molecules can move and the cooler the head will stay.