PDA

View Full Version : putting graphics on

big_poppa49
12-16-2004, 01:20 PM
how hard is graphics to put on?? Im getting a Klotz kit for my 400ex and I called this guy that does it and he said he would put it on for $40. I really dont want to pay that much. I want to do it myself. Any tips?? Any special tools needed?? Also, who else (or maybe a place) could I try and call and see what they charge? Thanks guys.

hmmm, I dont live far from Santo, maybe he could put it on for me...:uhoh:

I-7
12-16-2004, 01:29 PM
40 dollars :eek2: Just clean the plastics up really well try not to scratch it either and just make sure theres no dirt..
then u just line it up and put it on. It takes a few times to get it right and if theres bubbles u can always poke a hole in them and flatten them out. Its pretty self-explanatory...

FourFiftyFour
12-16-2004, 01:31 PM
i sprayed my plastics with soapy water then put my graphics on (easy to make them slide into place and smooth out everything) then i used a hair dryer to make the graphics stick to the quad, works wonders

i wouldnt pay $40 for such an easy job as that

FasstMidnightZ
12-16-2004, 01:35 PM
40 bucks is cheap 40 cant get u much these days anywayz. Just clean the plastic real good with alcohol dry it off real good. spray it down with water put the graphics on slide it into place and squigey (sp) the bubbles out and let it sit over night

hondaracer305
12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
will soapy water affect its sticking ability? im getting some BS graphics in whenever and i dont want to ruin them by making them uneven :(. how long does it take for the water to get out from under the graphics?

FourFiftyFour
12-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer305
will soapy water affect its sticking ability? im getting some BS graphics in whenever and i dont want to ruin them by making them uneven :(. how long does it take for the water to get out from under the graphics?

just use a hair dryer and go over them after u have them in place, trust me it works, thats how i got my graphics on my quad

Rdhanded2
12-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer305

That is how the pros do it as well. It sticks just fine. With soap, you have a second chance unlike just sticking it on dry.

big_poppa49
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok thanks guys. Whats the chance of not wetting it and getting it on straight?? :confused:

NacsMXer
12-16-2004, 10:15 PM
I put mine on dry and they lined up perfect. I was a little sketched about it too like you my first time but I just made sure I practiced lining them up before I actually stuck them on. The soapy water trick works too but it's more of a pain because you have to squeegy all the water out. Just lay them against the quad with the backing and see where they will have to go once you pull the backing off. Do this as many times as you need to to build up your confidence :p . Then pull the backing off and slowly work the graphic into position from one end to the other. Keep a knife handy because air bubbles and stubborn wrinkles will form. I do all my stickers/number plates this way and haven't ever had a problem.

400exrider707
12-17-2004, 01:17 AM
I have the klotz graphics and seat cover on mine and recommend using the soapy water. I actually trimmed some of my graphics cause it seems like they added extra material. You'll see what I mean when you go to put them on. Definitely use the soapy water though cause I had a rough time trying to make the graphics run the lines of my race plastic. The water didn't really squeegee out very good either. I just peeled back about half of the graphics and dabbed it with a towel and stuck it down, then did the same with the other half. Worked real good. You should just be able to use the blow dryer though. Once they dry even with the soapy water, they are ON THERE FOR GOOD! I powerwash mine at point blank with no signs of peeling off at all!

aviator4
12-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Anytime I put graphics on - whether it be an ATV, car or truck, I usually use a mixture of soapy water with a little rubbing alcohol in there (like 1 tbsp to 8 oz of soapy solution). that way the solution dries a little faster and the graphics stick faster and makes the humidity in the air virtually a non-factor.

Everyone is right to use alcohol or a "wax/grease" remover to clean the plastics. You can also use glass cleaner as it leaves no residue. Using something like Formula 409, simple green, simple Orage or whatever will leave a film on the plastics with may cause the graphics to peel off later down the road.

Don't try doing this outside if it's cold. Bring the plastics and graphics kit inside and let them warm up to room temperature. It makes them a little more pliable and easier to work with. Another option, if you can, is to heat up your garage.

If you need to trim the graphics, make sure to use a SHARP Xacto or razor blade so that you don't tear or stretch the graphics.

Just a few pointers from a guy thats put on LOTS of vehicle graphics in my day.

awsomeaussies
12-17-2004, 12:20 PM
If you don't want to use soap and water. You can do what I did. I taped my graphics in place, so they were exactly where I wanted them. Then I took a dry erase marker and outlined around the graphics. Then you take the graphics off, peel the backing and they line up perfect!;)

hondaracer305
12-18-2004, 12:07 PM
thanks for the help!! i didnt want to screw up my BS graphics the first day i got them :)

hondaracer305
12-21-2004, 10:26 PM
hey guys, i just got the bombsquad graphics in today!!! but im having trouble getting the hood part to go on, i push down on one fold, then another one pops up above it :mad: . this stuff isnt very easy to work with cause its so thick, any suggestions on how to keep it from doing that?? i really want these graphics to go on there good and look nice. thanks

aviator4
12-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Heat and patience!!! you can use a hair dryer to heat the graphic up, make sure to work in a uniform manner (front to back for example). Eventually, it will all stick down and look great. Whatever you do, don't kink the graphic. You'll never get the crease out!

hondaracer305
12-22-2004, 02:00 AM
thanks man, i read what you wrote, tried it and it worked GREAT. thanks for the advice or i never woulda finished it and made it look right, im glad theres people like you on these forums. ill post pics before too long.

fast426
12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
does "sticker on" work on graphics

aviator4
12-22-2004, 09:42 PM
hondaracer305, glad to hear they went on without a hitch. Now, lets see some pics!

Graphics are just big stickers. "Sticker on" will work, but not any better than the methods mentioned in this post. Why waste the money?