PDA

View Full Version : Special tool for a/f

mmartin
12-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Is there a special tool to get to the screw that adjusts the pilot jet? The way it is positioned with the starter in the way and the Idle control it is almost imposible to get to with the carb on the bike and taking it off every time I adjust it while I am tuning is a real pain. Or maybe any tricks you guys know of. Any help is apreciated.

44oEX
12-16-2004, 08:38 AM
well you can reatch it if you use a screw driver tip. just the tip like you would use in a drill or something.

A other easier way then taking it off is just losen up the clamps and turn the carb to the side ( just spin it) don't spin it to far just far enough to reatch the screw. if you tight the clamps back you can even start it up and do run and see how it runs and then tune it a little. it's easy that way.

And the screw is called the fuel screw. And it doesn't adjust the pilot jet it just sets you idle mixture the pilot if for off idle to 1/4 trottle

nosliw
12-16-2004, 09:34 AM
yes motion pro makes one. about $30.

i guess it's possible to reach it with a bit, but only if your hands are pretty small. i don't have small hands.

mmartin
12-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I will try to turn it when I get home, I dont know why I didnt think of that. Maybe it was the carb cleaner fumes pilling up in the garage.

This is my first ATV and the first carb I have ever worked on so I am still figuring out what everything is called. Thank you for the clarification.

Dalex
12-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I have had pretty good luck by taking a long flathead screwdriver and reaching in and just pushing on a corner of the slot gently.
You may have to go in from both sides depending on how much you turn it.

YZ400EX
12-17-2004, 05:27 PM
The easiest way of adjusting it is to remove the big screw on the bottom of the carb hold the idle screw in place..then from there you can either use a short screwdriver and get to it or they do make these tools that are kinda like a screw driver, but can be twisted in other positions( get them at autozone or checkers)..those work great..either way remove the screw that holds the idle adjuster first so you can get to it easier..This to me sounds like it would take the least amount of time and be the easiest.