PDA

View Full Version : problem with electrical system

lowazzaccord
12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
I recently went trail riding and went through a huge puddle that was probably as deep as the quad is high. i made it through fine and the quad kept running like nothing was wrong. All of my electronics got wet, and stayed that way for a day or so. Then, i went to start the quad a few days alter, and the nuetral light wouldnt come on, along with the headlights not coming on. after a seconf or two, they all turned on. last saturday, i wanted to go for a ride, so i went to start the quad. NOTHING... no power to anything. the lights done work, the starter wont engage, nothing. i tried using a multimeter to check the power, and i get it up to the starter solenoid. i dont think this is whats wrong, but honestly, i have no clue. i thought that if the starter solenoid went, i'd still have headlights, but i dont even have them. thanks for any help/suggestions

mmartin
12-16-2004, 07:53 AM
My friend has the same problem with the headlights and the neutral lights. We just beat on the switch for a while and it starts to work. If you find a good fix let me know

44oEX
12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Well check you fuse it might be busted. if not check the ground wire on the batery it happend to my friend and the ground just gor lose.

416exduner
12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I've had the same problem in the past, one thing you want to be sure of is that you're subframe is still getting a good ground to your engine...on a 400ex there's an engine ground, this connects your battery to your engine for ground. This will cause nothing on the front end of the bike to work. If your subframe is not getting proper ground to the main frame of the bike then you're engine and battery are not grounded together. Take a wire and run a direct ground from the black on your battery up to a bolt on your engine. This worked for me in the past.

Jonas
12-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Possibly poor ground as he said. If you want you can try three things...
Make sure your battery is grounded to your subrame.
Un-bolt your lower subrame bolts and pull the subrame away from the frame and make sure you have good metal to metal mating surfaces from the subframe to the main frame.
Clean your starter and eliminate all water inside and lubricate the brushes with an anti-corrosive spray.

Metzroth
01-06-2005, 06:35 PM
First check your fuse and see if it is blown, you can tell just by looking through the side of the fuse at the wire inside, if the wire is still one piece its not ur fuse, but if the wire is charred at all and broke apart in the middle then you have a short somewhere.
just recently the same thing happened to me except the culprit was a short in my low beams. My high beams work just fine but as soon as the low beams go on the fuse blows. Make sure your lights are off. Replace the fuse, and start with lights off. that is pretty much all i can say. Can anyone tell me what the other fuse under the fuse cap is? Is it a spare? Or is it for something else?