PDA

View Full Version : Loosing interest.

416exmx
12-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Well I have not really posted around here much or anything lately, just kind of surfed. I have lived quads for the past couple years, and have bought, sold, built, traded and parted-out numerous quads. I don’t know why but I guess I have kind of lost interest in the sport. The bad part was that I had some plans that prob would have worked out, and I even built a shop, but oh well, it will make a nice garage. After the production bikes came out it took the fun out of it. I however feel that the sport is headed in the right direction with the factory bikes, but I don’t think I am gonna follow. I can do other stuff with the money and end up better off. We are making some changes in our family business and I am going to follow that more closely. I in the meantime have been dealing in 4x4 trucks. We have our dealer license and I like messing with trucks now. I also have some other plans that I feel can take me much farther. I will never be able to leave this site, but just won’t be around as much as I used to be. I had alot of good buying/selling experiences, learned a ton, and have met some cool people on here. Anyway I am sure that it will take a few years to completely wean off, so if I find some good deals I am sure I will grab them up. I get pm's quite often about guys looking for quads or parts so I just thought I would post what's going on. Not all the tricks are gone yet either.

RIDER11X
12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
I have been in a similar situation lately, but have just disreguarded all of that lately as being burnt out from riding actually too much. I have just secured my time slot with a motor builder, and am working to get in better shape for next season.

Keep your primary quad around to stare you down so to speak when you walk past it, and get it out next spring for a little rip around, and I bet you will be back as strong as ever. I am still on my 400ex, and have no plans at this point to plunk down cash on a new production machine, but still love being active in the sport.:cool:

nosliw
12-15-2004, 11:34 PM
i get like that sometimes, but only when i haven't ridden in a while. take your wheeler out and get your heart pumping, you'll be back :D

user101
12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
im starting to feel the same way. i would have never thoguht i'd feel this way. lately i've been interrested in 4x4's and offroading. i think the main reason im feeling this way is because its been since sept. since ive rode. but thats about to change since ive bout got the 400 up and running again. i hate to even think about quiting riding.

Mxjunkie
12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Ive thought about it, but i dont know what id do for fun, its mainy because i dont like dirtbikes too much, so id much rather have a quad and it just gets boring riding something you dont want, but i guess i'll wait and see what happens..

Tommy 17
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
u aren't the only one...

with college, girls, partying, and everything else... quads are the last thing on my mind:(

i even thought about selling my 400ex last night for some truck parts...

Nausty
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
yea, i'm kinda the same way I'm getting kinda burt out on riding and talking quads all the time so lately over the past couple years i've kinda been drifting off and focusing on having fun instead of racing, compition and stuff like that. I still have fun every now and then but over all i've been riding since i was 7 and I just need a break for a lil bit.

12-16-2004, 10:10 AM
I can relate. I used to be into jet ski's like you guys were into ATV's. I would eat sleep and crap skis, I loved it. I worked at a local shop for 2 yrs and rode for like 8 yrs. I raced all over Fl., as well as helped my friends when they raced. But damn, if guys think ATV's are expensive you dont know nuthin!!:eek2: Tripple Pipes for the GP1200 and the Ultra run about $2800-$3000 thats just exhaust. Then ofcourse you need carbs and the mpem (or comp.) for timing settings. THe whole deal would cost you about $6K!!! And thats without labor, thank the lord me and my bro were pretty good at setting them up. Anyway eventually it got too expensive and I just completely lost interest.

Then my attention turned to this! And I love it!!
You guys probably need something else to focus your attention on. But I'll tell you what I sure do miss riding my ski. You guys will miss it to.

Dale512
12-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Seems like alot of people around where I live are losing interest in quads....including me. I keep thinking about selling the YFZ, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it, I don't ride it much, but it's nice to know that it's there if I do want to ride.

yfz4life50
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I think its cold and all of you arent riding cuz sometimes i get like i wanna quit or something then you get on your machine and take off and it just brings me rite back. . .

NacsMXer
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
I think a lot of it depends on riding too much or not at all. For me, when i'm stuck here at school for the majority of the year, all I want to do is go home and ride my quad since I hardly ride it at all. I only go to the MX track about five or six times in the summer, and if I go too often, I sort of lose interest for a while and just feel like chilling with friends at home. So riding sort of holds me over for a while and then when I don't ride at all, all I can think about is how much I want to ride my quad. It's all psychological, a lot of the other college guys know that you appreciate your quad and riding a lot more when you hardly ever see your quad.
I agree that too much of anything can make you sick of something, so just take a break for a while and then see how you feel after a few months of not riding or dealing with quads at all. I know the day I quit riding will never come because it would be one of the biggest mistakes I could ever make. But priorities are first and foremost, so I would take a while and think it over before you make a decision you might regret later.

killed300ex
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
trust me if you give it up you will come crawling back within a year or to because you miss it. I thought i wanted to get out of wheeling sold everything and now a year and a half later i am dying to get back into it and am working on geting a good wheeler put together. So if you really want to take some time off but just be prepared that you will want to get back into it after a little while once you are into it you will never get completly out of it.
Evan

team_450_88
12-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Yah...I have alot of friends that use to ride and quit now, but I love it to much,its on my mind 80% of the day, its where all my $$ goes and its all I ever wanna do, I love motocross and wanna go somewhere with it so I cant just give it up!!!

Ryan

SRH
12-16-2004, 05:48 PM
i cant get out of it, all thats on my mind is ****in and ridin there is nothing else

JR3
12-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i cant get out of it, all thats on my mind is ****in and ridin there is nothing else

word

Guy400
12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SRH
all thats on my mind is ****in and ridin there is nothing else But when you do either one by yourself it's just not the same :devil:

I can't remember exactly but I think I sold my quad in July of 2003 and I can't say that I miss it. When I had a bunch of friends with quads it was pretty cool but they all sold their's and I was the last man standing. Riding by yourself isn't very fun. If I ever get one again it'll probably be a ute so I can do work with it around the property.

SRH
12-16-2004, 05:56 PM
eh i dunno i like to ride by myself its relaxing , same as ****in by yourself:eek2:

Tommy 17
12-16-2004, 05:57 PM
guy speakin of ur friends that left...

hows jermey (four stroke fan) doin... i miss talkin to him...

stocktires
12-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
After the production bikes came out it took the fun out of it. I however feel that the sport is headed in the right direction with the factory bikes

word

SRH
12-16-2004, 06:20 PM
production made it more fun for me i could finally afford it lol

yoshz400rider
12-16-2004, 06:32 PM
comon guys dont post something like this we are supoose to be bringin lights on quads as the AMAs website of the year think about it maybe this is why we dont get so much as quad riders. Just think if Racerx ever did an article entiltedd We are gettin bored of racing dirtbikes. Serioulsy I think abotu quad 80 percent of the day and gettin some tail the other 20 percent haha I gave up riding when i was 13 for 2 years to hang out and have fun and go to parites then I was sick of not riding got A lakota a year later had the Z out then started racing then I was hooked its been over since that I dont see my friends on weekends becuz of Racing I race by myself but still love it u make so many good friends at the track

MotoX3
12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
my brother thought the exact same thing...sold his 400.....wanted a street bike....thought different and now he wants a bike:D .....

TCracin440ex
12-16-2004, 07:00 PM
i can also relate too....ever since ive got my license i really aint cared to ride much...i knew the bike was there when i wanted to ride it arround the yard and put it back in the shed until when ever i got bored and wanted to pull it out...but then the bearings went bad in the axle carrier and i had to replace the entire carrier the ex sat on blocks for 6 months until i could get some money to have her fixed...shes fixed now and back on 4 wheels i just got it fixed monday...but even now i really aint felt the interest to ride like i did before i got my license im going ridding this weekend and the ex will proally sit for another month or 2 before i ever pull it out again...cold weather kinda breaks my spirit too because when its bitter cold outside like it was this week...i dont even want to bother...i might ride in the snow some this winter...but hell ive got a z71 now i can play in the snow, and be warm too!!

having a license and a g/f changed everything for me...i used to come home and ride every day couldnt ever get tired of it at all...but after that piece of plastic got handed to me that said drivers license...

MXRACER86
12-16-2004, 07:12 PM
I hate when it is cold outside! I don't even want to think about riding!

SRH
12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
i gotta ride or i get edgy and i havent ridden in a month if this keeps up i will be banned by next week:(

Dale512
12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
The Cold Doesnt matter much to me. I rode almost every single day for the past 7 or 8 years. But this past summer I barely touched any of my quads. Went maybe 10 times this summer. It's just getting old, doesnt help any that everybody else around me is getting out of it and we've lost pretty much all of our good riding spots to gas wells or logging. I used to have nothing but riding on my mind, but since I'm getting older priorities are starting to change and all that good hoopla, think it's time to take a break for a few years, Then hopefully get back into alittle later on down the road. Most of the older people around here have done that. Now I see why.

Metzroth
12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Well if you lived 100 miles away from where your quad was:mad: you guys wouldn't ever want out.I cannot think of anything but riding/ making my quad better. I spent about 300 bucks on it today and another 2-3 hundred is going out after christmas, and I have no regrets what so ever. Riding is the most fun I've ever had. Well, besides a few things that beat it by a little. :D

Butters
12-16-2004, 09:23 PM
this topic is kinda funny cause me and some friends were talking about this at school. we all have had our licenses for a couple of 3 years now, and ever since that we have started going to putting our money into our vehicles. its as if we have to want or desire to put money into our quads anymore. i think if it wasn't for my dad and my 1 other friend that ride i wouldn't either. but i'm sure one day my mind will change again.

416exmx
12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Oh I mean I still like quads and racing/riding, but it seems like all my buddies have gotten out of the sport also. Back 7-8 years ago I would ride everyday and usually the whole day Sunday with several guys. The last few years were just building and racing. Yes it was fun, but after spending 15K on a quad and another 5K on a trailer to go to a few races a year just wasn’t worth it. Then you spent the next several nights working on the quad and getting it ready to go again. It kind of turned into a second job.

SHR- yes the production bikes was a good move. But what are you really saving?? I mean you don’t have to spend $2500 on a frame but after you pay to get the stocker worked over you have quite a bit in it. Then the motor work on the new bikes doesn’t have to be as elaborate, but still you can sink $1500 in it easy. Other than that you still have to buy everything else that is on a custom bike. I feel that guys are spending just as much on the new bikes as what they were on custom hybrid bikes.

RIDER11X
12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I must say, I have a long list of riding buddys that aren't into riding anymore......A long list! I met most of then when I was racing.
I hope to be one of those Super Senior Class quad riders one of these days, so I do my best to stay with it, But it is difficult to find riders that are dedicated to ride with. :( Now, my riding group is mostly all dirtbike guys, and I'm the only quad rider. I still got a few friends that ride quads, but they don't go every weekend, so I go with the bike crew mostly.
I may start racing Harescrambles again, not so much to be competitive, but to just rip through the woods with some quads again..........:ermm:

Tantal
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
yeah, quads are gay, im selling off my yfz to fund a rather large crack smoking binge :D

all kidding aside, two years ago i sold off both of my quads, it was the stupidest thing that ive ever done (well, one of the stupidest things, not the most).

exrider360
12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
stay here and keep us updated on the turcks you build aand with pics:D :D

rneal
12-23-2004, 02:16 PM
This thread makes me laugh... Graduate from college, work your career for say 8-10 years, get married, pop out a couple of kids and see how you feel then. I felt the same as you guys did in my not so distant past and have come full circle. Maybe I'm going through an early mid life crisis.

RIDER11X
12-23-2004, 10:45 PM
You are right.............It is something that I can't leave either. My high comes from ripping through the woods on the gas hard!:cool: I just can't get enough of it.:D

400exdad
12-24-2004, 07:29 AM
When we first started getting serious about riding, we would ride year round 'cause our group would ride too. Now, most of them have watersports too. So in the summer, they shut down. Besides, it gets too dusty here anyway and if I'm lucky Goochy or another friend invites me to the lake. A lot of my friends have switched or are switching to dirtbikes. It sucks to see them switch, but in a way I understand. The ride is so plush. We are also beginning to take my 7 year old with us which seperates us from the group too, but thats okay as he's getting quicker all the time. I have my ups and downs too in coming hear and talking about quads. I seem to ride less than most, but then again when family, work and house need attention, quad riding comes second. Sorrily to say. But thats just me: Work before play. Sometimes it sucks! :devil:

So its normal to feel like your drifting away from quads or any hobby. For those of you who are in school and dating and maybe trying to save for a house, its okay. One day, you'll be set and able to get back into quads... if you can find a place to ride. Sometimes, I think that I should sell out and begin to work on my old car and find Madmatt300ex a nice car to fix up, but I love going riding with my kids.. We've seen so many things, gone so many places and experienced father and son times that we wouldn't have had without the quads and definitely wouldn't have experienced if he (they) were into an organized sport.

ckasper18
12-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I got my first atc/us90 many years ago back in 1969.I have worked at my parents honda dealership for over 25 years.I have raced local events ice raced raced the national level and did real good for many years.Started some atv clubs and now i am the vice president of the great lakes quad racing association.Iwork with atvs 5 days a week and ride the other 2.had several girlfriends who told me its them or atvs and i think you know the trail i took.Me and my Daughter Danielle who is 14 spend every weekend together all she wants to do is race quads.How many 14 year old daughters want to spend every weekend with there daddys i know who my kid is hanging out with yours truly me her daddy.

Eveyone gets burnt out now and then i went threw riding buddies like water and when i see them again the first thing they say to me is your still racing/riding if i knew then what i know now i would or should of never gave it up that was the life.I still own my first three wheler and several others and yes every now and then i get a little tired of it but atvs are my passion and when its in your blood its there for life.I would be riding right now but it -20 below zero and with the wind chill its -35 degrees so i sit here reading posts and cant wait till my next ride.This is long and lengthy but i just thought i would tell you my life story would not change a thing..........................Chris

SRH
12-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
Oh I mean I still like quads and racing/riding, but it seems like all my buddies have gotten out of the sport also. Back 7-8 years ago I would ride everyday and usually the whole day Sunday with several guys. The last few years were just building and racing. Yes it was fun, but after spending 15K on a quad and another 5K on a trailer to go to a few races a year just wasn’t worth it. Then you spent the next several nights working on the quad and getting it ready to go again. It kind of turned into a second job.

SHR- yes the production bikes was a good move. But what are you really saving?? I mean you don’t have to spend $2500 on a frame but after you pay to get the stocker worked over you have quite a bit in it. Then the motor work on the new bikes doesn’t have to be as elaborate, but still you can sink $1500 in it easy. Other than that you still have to buy everything else that is on a custom bike. I feel that guys are spending just as much on the new bikes as what they were on custom hybrid bikes.

i know how the first part is, i use to ride everyday for hours,now i have a quad built up like id always wanted it gets ridden maybe a hr a week , 1 race and the rest of the time its cleaned, and maintence is done....i just wish i could go out and ride like i use to, i think im going to try to buy a stock 400ex used and ride it spring, fall and winter, and days when conditions are too nasty for my yfz, and just try to have fun like i use to....not that racing and everything isnt fun, coming off the track after riding good is rewarding and makes it worth it, i just wanna be able to pull my quad out and go riding without worrying how ill make the next race if i break it, i try to keep my yfz near brand new condition all the time so i dont really enjoy riding it in the mud or snow etc, usually in the sumemr i can ride it whenever but the rest of the year in ny is wet..

i agree with the 2nd part somewhat, i mean the main advantage of production is you can buy the quad and have it and just make it better as you in the end the cost wont be much different but for me to build a yzf or crf id have to lay down a ton of a cash just to get it going and how many people can reach in there pocket and lay down 15000 anyone who couldnt were stuck on raptors, 400ex, 250rs and z 400s....which really cant compare to a custom built crf, but now we can buy a yfz, has decent shocks and enough power, an awesome rear shock setup etc...before we were forced to ride underdeveloped inadequate quads and since production i dont think there is any need to build a hybrid

nacs400ex
12-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SRH

i agree with the 2nd part somewhat, i mean the main advantage of production is you can buy the quad and have it and just make it better as you in the end the cost wont be much different but for me to build a yzf or crf id have to lay down a ton of a cash just to get it going and how many people can reach in there pocket and lay down 15000 anyone who couldnt were stuck on raptors, 400ex, 250rs and z 400s....which really cant compare to a custom built crf, but now we can buy a yfz, has decent shocks and enough power, an awesome rear shock setup etc...before we were forced to ride underdeveloped inadequate quads and since production i dont think there is any need to build a hybrid

I couldn't agree more, even though I choose to ride a 250r. To me yes, hybrids are nice. But when it boils down to it, I just dont feel the need to spend that much just to race competitively.

RIDER11X
12-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Racing can take the wind out your sails pretty quick also, I know when your wrenching all week to make a race every weekend, and trying to coordinate parts orders, work schedules, and money to pay for it all....................Gets old quick. One full season did me in. I still race one or two races a year, but am not super concerned about the outcome.:cool:

400exdad
12-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Racing can take the wind out your sails pretty quick also, I know when your wrenching all week to make a race every weekend, and trying to coordinate parts orders, work schedules, and money to pay for it all....................Gets old quick. One full season did me in. I still race one or two races a year, but am not super concerned about the outcome.:cool:

I know what you mean. I raced a year of local hare scrambles here. It pretty much took all the fun rides away and caused a lot of wear and tear on the 300 when that was all I had. It also took away from my household duties that I had to eventually play catch up on.

Every year I say that I'm going to do the GNCC at Lorettas and every year I change my mind... thinking of injuries, equipment damage and costs... but this year I'm going to try to stick to my plan and do it. I'm 40 now and when I'm 50 or older, I don't want to look back and say that I shoulda coulda woulda.

450Racer
12-24-2004, 04:53 PM
man does it suck seeing all you guys let down like that. last year after i won the C class champ at a local track, i was thrilled till it snowed. i felt like giving up, then i got my 450R and started riding much better. throughout the year i kept progressing and moved up to B class and was on top towards the end. it's been about 2 months since i've been on the track and i HATE it. it hasn't even snowed but it's usually in the single digits everyday. my quad is in a million pieces, and watching Huevos 7 showed me i still have a ways to go before i'm up there.

it's all how you think. don't let riding/racing get old! you can always learn something new and get better, always. the other day i was thinking to myself what it would be like if i quit, and i couldn't take the thought. i just think of it this way....watch quad movies all winter, build the bike up for spring, lift your little heart out, and first race of the season of the line, give em' hell! racing last year got a little boring in C till i started doing the 80' finish and moved up to B, many things changed then. maybe you just need to step it up.

SRH
12-24-2004, 10:06 PM
i still havent lost intrest and ive been racing for the last 3 years, but i mean there are guys here who blow thousands of dollars a year doing every district race, which is dumb imo, they get 4th everyweek win the championship.. i have no idea how thats rewarding....i mean knowing your the fastest guy on the track and winning to me is all that matters, not i raced 30 some races got 4th every week and won the championship i could see racing all the gnc rounds because there important but not dist stuff etc

Martin Blair
12-24-2004, 10:16 PM
same here, I will stick with it, but Im stop spending money on my quad and getting back into paintball and R/C

RIDER11X
12-24-2004, 10:29 PM
That sounds so much like me, it is unreal!:p I want to make a GNCC one day, and one day it will happen.:cool:

stocktires
12-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
same here, I will stick with it, but Im stop spending money on my quad and getting back into paintball and R/C

EXACTLY what I do. I'm planning on racing the whole coming season becuase I've never really gotten the chance to race. I just bought a new paintball gun and I plan on doing that to keep myself from getting burnt-out on MX. I wish I had the money to get back into RC's too.

SRH
12-24-2004, 10:38 PM
please help me i cant stop wanting and buying parts...i need help i cant stop

longie
12-25-2004, 02:21 AM
buy a pistol...save your worries.

Rebelrider4OOex
12-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I keep thinking about selling the 400ex, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it, I havent rode it much lately, but it's nice to know that it's there if I do want to ride.

i dont know what it is but i dont seem to want to ever work on my quad even wit the little things that needs to be done like lower my back shock witch will take 5 minutes...........i hope i snap out of this faze im going threw riding has always been so fun and the only thing on my mind lately i been wanted to gett an s-10 or ranger to customize and havent even thought of my quad

hopefully all this new riding geari got for xmas will put me back into the spirit:(

nacs400ex
12-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex
I keep thinking about selling the 400ex, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it, I havent rode it much lately, but it's nice to know that it's there if I do want to ride.

i dont know what it is but i dont seem to want to ever work on my quad even wit the little things that needs to be done like lower my back shock witch will take 5 minutes...........i hope i snap out of this faze im going threw riding has always been so fun and the only thing on my mind lately i been wanted to gett an s-10 or ranger to customize and havent even thought of my quad

hopefully all this new riding geari got for xmas will put me back into the spirit:(

I have both an s10 and a quad, and take it from me keep the quad!!!! Sure its fun to work on trucks, but NOTHING compares to riding.

250EXking
12-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Ever since I sold my 250ex and got my 400ex. I have lost lots of interest in the sport. I dont know what it was. I always wanted a bigger, better bike. So i got the 400ex. The first few weeks, I was on it non stop. I had all these plans of moding it and getting it ready to race. And for some reason. I just havent. Money wasnt an issue I just never got enough motivation to get into it.

This summer I went to my first ATV race. We went to Pink Lakes TT here in Ohio. Had tons of fun and made me want to get into racing that much more. Got talking to Tim Farr, was really excited about that.

The weather has been bad for the last few months too. That could be hindering too. We had a monsoon in the fall and a crappy winter here.

Maybe in the Spring time here. Get some good weather and get back out and I hope I get back into riding like I use too. Now that I typed all of this, it kinda makes me want to ride again.

Just telling my story after the first post. Ride on and keep the sport alive.

Kyle.

TheFontMaster
12-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I know how ya feel. But I'm oing through that with snowboarding. All summer i want to snowboard, but now i could almost care less. I just want to get my project 250r done and go riding.

RIDER11X
12-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Did anyone ever consider getting into dirt bikes for a new and different challenge?

Stevie-D
12-25-2004, 08:39 PM
i owned a 400ex for about 2 years. sold it last year. still own an 02 trailboss which is decent for beating on. plus, it can push a plow to make easy work of the driveway.
i too, got kind of bored with riding. so the 400 was sold to buy a truck.
i have since transfered schools, and am now in a school with an excellent votech program. my metal shop class has really given me some ideas about making some things.
so now my latest project is a go-kart. i've got an old chitty frame, which is going under the cutting wheel very soon. it will be stretched, strengthened, and able to accept a motor likely from a 300ex.
large rear tires will be added, as will a rollcage and seatbelt. once it is built, i am going to fabricate a body out of sheet metal, then paint it.

at this point, i have more fun building things than riding them.

Stevie-D
12-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Did anyone ever consider getting into dirt bikes for a new and different challenge?

i thought about it last summer, but changed my mind after wrecking my friends cr250. he had bought it off of a friend of his, who raced the bike. so exhaust, suspension, reeds, etc were aftermarked. it also had a front sprocket which produced amazing amounts of low end torque. secong gear on shale dust would bust a wheelie.

so i'm putting along in first, shift to second, giver er a bit of gas, then the next thing i know, i'm on the ground. bikes off to the side. my hip got speared by he handle bars, shoulder, area behind my left armpit got ripped apart. (wearing a sleeveless shirt. it was the 4th of july and we were about to go to a fireworks show) my head was fine, thanks to my helmet.
i've still got some wicked scars from that thing:eek2:

but ya, that kind of took care of my wanting a dirt bike:p