PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate my Raptor.....

bxroads
12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
I’m new to sports quads, but recently purchased the below specked Raptor. I have no riding buddies with sport quads, all utilities. There is a track less than 10 miles from my house that allows ATV’s and is open during daylight hours for a $10 a day charge, with a honor system drop box in place for payment. It is maintained very well and gets a lot of activity from the dirt bikes. I’ve only stopped by and checked it out during weekdays, when no one was riding, but in passing, I’ve never seen ATV’s running so I currently have no source for local information and advice. This track is the main reason I bought the quad (settled on the Raptor because I got a good deal on it). Several thoughts that I would appreciate the veterans addressing:

How well will this machine fare on the track, with “casual” competition, mostly very modestly modified stockers, such as the EX, Z, and the new 450’s.

I’ve read up on the jetting, thought it could be improved upon, started screwing with it, and ended up back where I began. The spot I just can’t get right is at about 2/3 throttle, which gives me a brief “dead” spot. I’ve adjusted the c-clip on the needle valves but the original setting seems to be the best. I believe I’m fine, but how do I know? I have little experience, don’t know what to expect, and have nothing to compare to or drag race. I wish I could ride/race a stock Raptor so that I would have a gauge of some sort. Is there any rules of thumb I might could use to evaluate my set up to know if its performing up to its potential. When I first rode the bike, I recorded a top speed of 77.9 MPH on flat ground with the lowest of the runs at 77.1 MPH, all recorded with a GPS. When I finished screwing with the carb and set it back to where it was when it ran the 77.9 MPH, I’m only getting 74 MPH. I have very little experience with GPS units as well so I don’t know if the variance is in the bike or GPS. Thoughts……

MY450R
12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
if i were you i wouldnt mess with the jetting at all untill you knew what you were doing
it seems ok if your getting 74-75 mph thats quite fast
do you have stock gearing or what?
raptors are nice .what year is it?
treat it right and it should treat you right
oh and at the track dont expect to spank to many ppl with it until you get experience then maybe you'll beat a 400ex but dont set your sights on the new 450s .i dont see that happening