PDA

View Full Version : raptor question

tecate87
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
what type of flywheel puller is needed for a raptor flywheel ???

Duncan313
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
I just recently changed the one way starter clutch on a 2001 Raptor the LA Design that you can find at raptortranny.com is a great fix. The fly wheel puller I used is a Craftsman Steering Wheel puller you will need to purchase the meteric 8X110mm bolts seperately. It takes a lot of pressure to get that fly wheel off. Heating the area around the shaft will help and tap the end of the center shaft of the fly wheel puller to get a big bang. If you are taking it out to solve the one clutch problem be sure to replace the 52 tooth gear. Check the procedure on raptortranny.com it gives some good details and torque specs. By the way my Yamaha shop sold me a puller that didn't work and I made them take it back.

tecate87
12-20-2004, 01:39 PM
thanks, I have a steering wheel puller but its still not coming off. like you said must be a good force to get it off.
I am going to try later this week.

If you are taking it out to solve the one clutch problem be sure to replace the 52 tooth gear.

does this come with the clutch assembly ??

Duncan313
12-21-2004, 06:34 AM
The 52 tooth gear does not come with the OEM one way assembly. The LA Design kit includes everything you would need including new bolts for the one way clutch and the 52 tooth gear. Check out this guide http://www.raptortranny.com/one-wayguide1.php it gives detail pics and instructions. You can do this job no problem. Keep at it.

tecate87
12-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I just never had a flywheel so hard to come off, was it hard getting back on.??

Duncan313
12-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Nope! Just torque it back to the factory spec. You may need to hold the rear brake and use a strap wrench to get it to spec but that is all you need, it is not pressed on so don't worry about that. Also the bolts that hold the one way on the fly wheel are very tight. I found that heat was the trick on both. Not cutting torch heat but plumbers copper tubing kind of heat.