PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tamers

Punk'd
12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Would a set of turf tamers be any good for riding trails,gravel,dirt ect? Ive always wondered about those tires. What company makes these?

Thanks

stocktires
12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't think so. When I had them, they never wanted to self clean very well. Gravel, Not sure. On hard packed dirt, they are the best. On loose stuff, they work decent

I'd say go with some razr's or holeshots

YFZ450Ridr
12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
would they be any good in snow?

Punk'd
12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
What about them I razors? I want to roost like crazy but also hook up good.

Or whats a good tire?

roostin_dale
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Tamers are good for nothin i think! some people like them for MX but i think they suck for eveyrthing. They are good for snow or ice if you have studs...

stocktires
12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Tamers are good for nothin i think! some people like them for MX but i think they suck for eveyrthing. They are good for snow or ice if you have studs...

Have you ever tried trimmed tamers on hard pack?

gratzracing24
12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Actually i dont think they make them anymore but i might be wrong...carlise made them and if they r grooved they r preety good on hard packed never tired them on gravel or snow

YFZ450Ridr
12-15-2004, 08:50 PM
i just looked in my new rocky mountain and thier in there, they look like that have a good bite on em but i gues from what u guys are sayin im wrong:confused:

SixthFloorFreak
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
i really like a good set of grooved Turf Tamers, but i think their usefulness is growing pretty slim. they are a real fragile tire IMO, and the Holeshot/Razr lines work better in most situations

they are pretty cheap though

roostin_dale
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
Have you ever tried trimmed tamers on hard pack?

yea you got me there...i did like them on hard packed MX tracks....

throwinitup
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
get razrs 2's and forget about it :rolleyes:

TC426EX
12-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, you definitely dont want to be running Tamers for trail riding. They only have one good use and thats at the MX track! A good set of grooved turf tamers are awesome for hardpack and intermediate track conditions as well. The only problem is that they wear out 10 times faster than even the holeshot mx which I know is hard to believe.... For trails you wanna go with the Razrs, Razr 2's, or ITP if you really want to. Im a maxxis man so I have a pretty biased opinion. Any of the good trail tires by maxxis, itp or kenda would be fine for you man....

R3Concepts
12-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Itp makes Tamers. Carlisle is owned by ITP. Tamers are good for hard pack becuase the tread pattern is close, the softer the track or trail the wider the pattern needs to be. i would run Kenda klaws as the wider pattern and tamers or grooved ones on hardpack stuff. Ive had the same tamers since august on my 450R and I practice 2 times a week and race every 1-2 weeks and they are still good.

heavyd119
12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
my brother had a set on his blaster, they are light and great on hardpack, but thats about it. He blew a tire on a small jump.

smith_400ex_213
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
i have ran both holeshot and tamers and in my opinion my tamers last alot longer than the holeshots...for the tracks i ride the tamers work awsome on hard pack when hardpacked and workded great for me when i had them grooved..IMO

hoser 400ex
12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
i ran turf tamers for 1 race season and alot of others i race with have too. i used the for general riding too. they seemed to wear fast but i liked them. have to groove them out in a good pattern tho!!!

Cody_300ex
12-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
What about them I razors? I want to roost like crazy but also hook up good.

Or whats a good tire?

I got exactly what your looking for. Kenda Knarlys! They roost like a SOB when i got about 12 PSI in them but i will drop them to about 6 or 7 and then they hooked up good but will slide if i really try. They do awesome in the mud also. I have only gotten stuck once, thats cause i had a big concrete brink in front of one of tires. :mad:

buddy what not
12-20-2004, 11:47 AM
i had turf on my 300ex and hole shots on the blaster i liked them both i thought the turfs wear faster though but thye squeal really good on pavement though

Out_Sider
12-21-2004, 08:10 PM
well, my tamers arent grooved, and they have unpredictable traction. i never know if they are gonna bite coming out of a turn, or if they are gonna spin me out. sometimes they will spin out of the holeshot, other times they will shoot me up in a wheelie. idk what to think about these tires except that i dotn really like them, lol. but now for new tires im in a loss between goin razr mx or itp mxr4's???

12blaster34
12-22-2004, 10:49 AM
i jave tammers on my blaster right now and they are really good for hard packed surfaces. they do wear away pretty quikly though.

Mxjunkie
12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
i had grooved tamers and i LOVED them, they were awesome, lasted alot longer then any holeshot we ran, our 250x had grooved turfs and hooked very well