PDA

View Full Version : Work in Winter = Fast in spring

REAPER
12-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about doing a few things to "wake up my sleeping giant" I got some good ideas like, put a better cam in, valves, rockers, higher compression piston, amongst other things. I only want to spend like $1000 between all the parts and labor sooo, the question is WHICH OF THESE THINGS SHOULD I DO , IF NOT ALL, AND WHICH BRANDS AND TYPES DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST FOR ALL OUT PERFORMANCE ?

Thanks for your comments on how to make my quad better, Reaper

cletusEX
12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
What compression are you running now? My buddy had a 440 with a 13:1 JE pistion, 1mm bigger valves, web cam 479 grind, and full exhaust and that motor ripped. I'm sure a different cam and higher compression piston would help you out. That should be under $1000.

K_Fulk
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
I would look into getting a web 479 grind cam oversized valves. And replace your edelbrock carb with 41mm fcr. Maybe bump it up a 465cc big bore.

Rico
12-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Ditch the Cam and WB CDI.

Put a good all around cam in it and contact GT Thunder about a better CDI box.

REAPER
12-16-2004, 01:43 PM
What compression are you running now?

I beleive It's an 11:1 , 88.5mm J. E. piston. The one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not I will need to get the whole head redone again if I decide to go with a larger piston and compression, say a 12:5:1 or 13:1. Oh and by the way while I'am at it, What would be a good amount to stroke my crank or should i just get an aftermarket one and which kind. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to be finished building this money pit once and for all. :( Reaper

cletusEX
12-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by REAPER
I beleive It's an 11:1 , 88.5mm J. E. piston. The one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not I will need to get the whole head redone again if I decide to go with a larger piston and compression, say a 12:5:1 or 13:1. Oh and by the way while I'am at it, What would be a good amount to stroke my crank or should i just get an aftermarket one and which kind. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to be finished building this money pit once and for all. :( Reaper

You won't need to do anything to the head unless you put bigger valves in it. The cylinder will need to get resleeved and bored to the new piston. If your gonna stroke it I'm pretty sure you will need to get a special rod and piston. Also you might want to get rid of that barnett clutch. I would stick with stock plates and keep the barnett springs. That's what I did. Your only gonna be able to get so much out of the 400 engine without sacrificing reliability. I know what you mean by money pit.:p