PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cable Adjustment

kiss my crowbar
12-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey guys (and girls), I have a 2004 Honda 400EX with quite a few mods to it. I was drag racing this guy the other day and he asked if I was hitting the rev. limiter, which I didnt think I was and he said that was funny cause we were full throttle for about 5 seconds. I have a White Bros. rev box and I still dont believe I have ever hit the rev. limiter. So, when I got back to my house I checked the "play" in the cable and its way more than an 1/8". Its more like 3/4". How in the hell do I adjust the cable, I tried everything and I feel kind of stupid because out of all of the stuff I have done to my bike, I cant believe that this is giving me trouble...haha...If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Pappy
12-15-2004, 06:22 PM
loosen the lock adjuster on the throttle cable (located where the cable meets the throttle housing)

adjust the cable to the desired specs and lock the adjuster

also, check to make sure your throttle is actually opening the carb slide all the way. a few have been known to be opening only 3/4 or so.

kiss my crowbar
12-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks Pappy for your reply. There is only one problem though, I am having a hell of a time getting the locknut loose, someone told me if i just undo the throttle housing from my handle bars and twist the whole housing it will tighten the cable just the same as if I adjusted the way you said too. Is this true? And, if it isnt, do you know of any other way I can get that locknut loose? Thanks again for your help!

sickmojave
12-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by kiss my crowbar
Thanks Pappy for your reply. There is only one problem though, I am having a hell of a time getting the locknut loose, someone told me if i just undo the throttle housing from my handle bars and twist the whole housing it will tighten the cable just the same as if I adjusted the way you said too. Is this true? And, if it isnt, do you know of any other way I can get that locknut loose? Thanks again for your help!

moving the housing will not do it. get a pair of pliers and get the lock nut loose.;)

cals400ex
12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
yes, pop that rubber boot back, loosen the nut with pliers, and turn the metal piece that the nut goes into. you will probably have to turn it several revolutions to tighten it to 1/8 slack. this will make a big difference.