PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 86R. Pipe ??'s

cuzron
12-15-2004, 11:02 AM
What do you all suggest as far as aftermarket pipes. Right now I am leaning towards an ESR chrome standard mount with a ESR stinger silencer. Any good/bad things to say about this pipe? Any other suggestions about exhausts? How do I post a pic? I am so glad I am back on a 2 stroke. Thanks for your answers in advance.

ddbyrd
12-15-2004, 12:06 PM
The biggest factor to determine is your riding style. Make sure the pipe you buy fits your riding style (low to mid range, top end, etc)

ESR make a killer pipe for the R's, I run a bills pipe on my 88 R, set up for low to mid range RPM, I have had it for a while and I like it, FMF makes a good pipe as well.

ZRider400
12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
all i have to say is 1 word: SPARKS.

zedicus00
12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
if its for a stock ported jug get a esr trx-5 if yur jug is ported get whatever matches the porting. i do prefer esr.

mikes450r
12-15-2004, 03:27 PM
i also have the all around pipe on my 250r...Its and esr..its a very nice pipe...but make sure you get the right pipe for you...you really dont get the whole cookie when it comes to 2 strokes...its either top end or bottom end..for pipes any ways..

beak7707
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
ESR TRX 5 only way to go. Great all around pipe I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

beerock
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
all i have to say is 1 word: SPARKS.

hmm somebody knows something round here ;)

sparks baby all the way

if you dont have a radically ported jug id say a sparks mx otherwise the TT is the pipe to go with, thats what i use ;)

MyKe2g3
12-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Like they have said earlier just depends on your style of riding. I run Paul Turner pipe and an Fmf pipe both run good on my bikes. I suggest just doing some research to make sure it matches your porting and riding because there are alot of diff pipes out there for this bike.

pharit
12-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MyKe2g3
Like they have said earlier just depends on your style of riding. I run Paul Turner pipe and an Fmf pipe both run good on my bikes. I suggest just doing some research to make sure it matches your porting and riding because there are alot of diff pipes out there for this bike.

I'm with him cept the FMF i hate them pipes. But i went with a Paul Turner Race pipe and i got tons and tons of mid range love it. you can;t beat it for 220

wilkin250r
12-20-2004, 09:59 AM
FMF is a decent all-around pipe. Many people don't like them because they are a mass produced "cookie-cutter" pipe. But the truth is a LOT of research goes into those pipes for maximum overall gain over the broadest power range.

Think about it. FMF is basically dedicated to pipes. They don't do big-bore kits or engine services. They do pipes. With a business dedicated almost exclusively to pipes, they do a bit more research on pipes than than a company dedicated mainly to building engines.

The main advantage a pipe like the Sparks will have is that it is more dedicated to a specific power range. It will have more power in one specific area, and less in all other areas. This is often good for people, IF you are interested in that power range. If it has a strong hit right off the bottom, it is going to fall flat on it's face at high RPMs. The FMF pipe will have a decent hit off the bottom, a smooth transition, and will rev out fairly well. Notice it doesn't have "great" in there anywhere. The FMF pipe works fairly well in all areas, rather than "great" in one area, but terrible in another.

What you do NOT want to do is listen to somebody else's cookie-cutter advice. Just because it's an "MX" pipe (generally low-end pipe), doesn't mean it's best for YOU for motocross. Likewise with a "TT" pipe (generally top-end). I know guys that like to short-shift their motors, even in TT, so a low-end "MX" pipe actually works better for them, and they have much faster lap times on a flattrack with the low-end pipe than they do with a top-end "TT" pipe. It's more suited to their specific riding style.

12blaster34
12-20-2004, 10:43 AM
get the ct exhaust

racerx573
12-20-2004, 08:19 PM
I have a full CT system for sale. Chrome plated. $125 shipped. pipe/sil.

Jersey450R
12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Paul Turner Mid Pipe