View Full Version : LoneStar front A-Arms

aviator4
12-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey folks,

I just installed a set of Chrome +2 lonestar A-Arms on my 400ex and got to looking at the setup when I went to align the bike. Turn out the the top A-Arm's ball-joint jam-nut is on the outside of the A-Arm (between the A-Arm andthe spinde) and the bottom one is on the inside (where the joint's threads stick out of the A-Arm between the joint and the bikes frame).

This just doesn't seem right. Did one of the guys at the LoneStar plant get lazy and just put one in the wrong place? Both side of the quad are like this.

Thanks!

4TraxRider
12-15-2004, 07:05 PM
That's the way mine were when i bought a set two years ago. Put everything together and sold it like that to with no problems. Whether its right or not it seemed to work, good luck.

Rich250RRacer
12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
My arms have the lower nut on the outside, but I guess you could run them on the inside if you want to keep the ball joints adjusted in farther. When you need to replace the ball joints, don't buy the Lonestar replacements, way too expensive. Go to an auto parts store and ask for Moog part number ES3045RL or whatever crosses over to that in their brand. These are tie rod ends off of a 89-98 Geo Tracker. They will work fine, for about half the price. I work in an auto parts store and have researched this to find what fits best.

dantwo
12-17-2004, 06:38 AM
Trust me on this one. The way the moog ball joint is manufactured will not hold up. We used to use those ball joints and they just did not last. I tried dealing direct with moog on manufacturing something that works and got no where. Also with our new ball joints we have changed shaft length to remove bump steer and to improve the handling. They are sealed better and plated unlike the moog.

aviator4
12-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Turns out LoneStar says that the nuts are in the right position. Hopefully, these ball joints will last for some time since I don't race. When it comes time to replace them I can revisit everyones recommendations.

Rich250RRacer
12-17-2004, 03:20 PM
If you don't want to go with Moog, try TRW or Spicer, or as I have done, Federated chassis. I've been getting at least two years out of these, and usually only have to replace them because they sometimes bend, which is the case with the Lonestar items as well. As a matter of fact, Lonestar buys Moog parts, threads them a little farther down, which isn't required, then doubles their money. The casting number on a Lonestar ball joint and a Moog match identically. Don't waste money on what people tell you is a superior part, when you can get the same quality for half the price.

dantwo
12-20-2004, 06:13 AM
They are no longer a moog part at all…. They have not been moog for many years. We NEVER threaded any of the ball joints we sold farther down. Just want to get you all of the facts…. The ball joints we are making now have a longer shaft to raise the upper a-arm. That is used on all the Honda a-arms. This helps out on the bump steer. Then the Yamaha ball joints you no longer have to ream your spindles. You can go with some of those other companies, they just will not have our changes. So good luck when it comes time.