PDA

View Full Version : Locknut????

Thump_It
12-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Alright guys/girls, I'm now having troubles with the axle nut. I got the Nut loose that is between the Carrier and the other nut. But now I can't get the Locknut loose. I'm assuming it is turned the same direction (left) to get loose. But really I have no idea. If I'm sitting behind the bike with a wrench on the nut, do I go up or down to loosen?

knelson
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
you want to go down remove the clip then go up

dunebuggie66
12-15-2004, 08:28 AM
you need to turn the nut in toward the carrier to loosen it. then a ring will appear that you need to slide off the axle , then the whole locknut assembly will pull off. if you are sitting behind the quad you need to pull up on it to loosen it. it may help to have someone hold the rear brake on for you. sometimes with just the bike in gear you will just start to crank it over. so actually turning it to the left will tighten it, and to the right will loosen it. hope this helps.

450 Racer R
12-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66
you need to turn the nut in toward the carrier to loosen it. then a ring will appear that you need to slide off the axle , then the whole locknut assembly will pull off. if you are sitting behind the quad you need to pull up on it to loosen it. it may help to have someone hold the rear brake on for you. sometimes with just the bike in gear you will just start to crank it over. so actually turning it to the left will tighten it, and to the right will loosen it. hope this helps.

It's reverse threaded, from the back you wanna push down on the wrench

450 Racer R
12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
when I did mine, I left it in first, had the tires on the ground, and put a block behind the tire to keep it from turning. It's a ***** but just stand on the wrench and it should go. Also, if you're not replacing it, be sure to use some loc tite. Mine came lose once, threw some of that red stuff on there, and I haven't had a problem since.

Thump_It
12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Alright, thanks for the info, I'll have to try that method after work.