PDA

View Full Version : GNCC XC Racing Project Honda TRX450R

Admin
12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Once again, ATVriders.com set out to build a race ready Honda ATV that would be competitive at the Pro Level in the GNCC Race Series.

To help us accomplish our goal, we sought the assistance of several well respected ATV aftermarket shops with extensive Honda 450R experience and the help of GNCC Pro Rider Andy Lagzdins to share his race proven experience on what it takes to build the ultimate woods machine

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Engine Modifications

For our Engine Modifications, we looked to none other than Mark Baldwin of Baldwin Motorsports for his extensive experience working with Tim Farr’s Factory Honda 450R. We asked Mark to build us a powerful yet reliable engine that could withstand the abuse of cross country racing.

Baldwin’s first step was to remove the casting marks and increase the fuel/air velocity through the cylinder head by porting & polishing the intake and exhaust ports.

Intake Ports

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Exhaust Ports

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:26 PM
For the piston, Baldwin went with a 11.5/1 Weisco piston instead of a more aggressive 13.5/1 piston, so the engine would produce less heat and still run on pump fuel. A Baldwin XC Cam was installed to provide more lift and duration and produce a smooth and rideable power without a hard hit that would wear out a rider after a two hour race. The Stock Carburetor needle was replaced with Baldwin’s Needle and the Main jet was increased from 118 to 185, and a Pro Design Air Filter was added to increase the air flow.

Pro Design Air Filter & Intake Adapter

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:28 PM
The stock ignition was then replaced with the Vortex Ignition, which will allow the 450R to rev to 11,000 RPM for added top end speed in every gear. Finally, Baldwin Motorsports exhaust system was added to complete engine performance enhancing modifications, but we still weren’t finished modifying and replacing engine components.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:29 PM
The stock clutch was then replaced with the Rekluse Automatic Clutch System to eliminate the need to use the clutch when shifting gears and greatly improved the ability to kick start the 450R in gear, and it still enabled the use of the clutch when needed to rev up the engine or feather it through a turn.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
To allows us to remove the factory instrument cluster, we removed the factory Hot Start Cable and replaced it with Baldwin’s Hot Start cable which allows it to be attached to a Work Connection Clutch Lever.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Work Connection 450R Clutch Lever with the Hot Start Lever was installed to attach to the Baldwin Cable.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Finally, the engine was filled with Golden Spectro and Liquid Performance coolant was added for maximum cooling performance.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Chassis

Andy Lagzdins experience from racing this season in the GNCC Series was vital in determining how to gusset our frame to withstand a race season. Izzy Burgard from Burgard Cycle agreed to produce & install the gusset kit.

One such area is cast upper rear section of the frame that is connected to the top frame rails behind the upper engine mounts. This area of the frame was reinforced with outer tubing welded over the week spot to distribute the forces more evenly and prevent cracking.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Also, plate gussets were added above the upper front shock mounts and along tubing connections in the front of the frame.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Finally, the frame was professionally powder coated translucent red by BK Performance to set it apart from factory.

Admin
12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
The completed frame was then equipped in the front with Burgard Cycle Premium stock width A-arms that have replaceable integrated balls joints similar to factory design, but are also camber and caster adjustable. The width of the A-arms was unchanged, but from the suggestions of GNCC Pro Rider #15,Andy Lagzdins, the A-arms were moved forward 1.25” for increased high speed stability of the machine with minimal maneuverability sacrifice.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
The factory steering stem was also replaced with a +1” Walsh Race Craft steering stem equipped with adjustable steering stops to allow for an adjustable turning radius.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
The added height of the stem aloud clearance for an IMS Oversized fuel tank, which added a little over a half gallon of fuel for extended riding time.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Also, Flexx handlebars where added to help absorb the vibration of riding, which contributes to rider fatigue and arm pump. New SLT ATV Spider Grips were then added for improved grip and hand comfort.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Finally, a W.E.R Steering Dampener with its revolutionary variable dampening body that decreases the dampening as the wheels are turned away from the center, which helps prevent front wheel deflections without affecting the rider’s ability to maneuver.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:10 PM
For the rear end of the 450R, a ¾” longer Burgard Cycle swingarm was added to extend the short wheel base of the 450R to the 250R length of 51” with the forward A-arms to take away the light feeling of the front end and help it stick when turning. The swingarm was equipped with Pivot Works bearing & seal kit as top quality inexpensive alternative to factory parts.

Also, Burgard Cycle dual row bearing carrier was installed along with an RPM Dominator XC Axle with -2” to +1” adjustability which is the only aftermarket axle available that offers a narrower length for racing in the tight woods.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:11 PM
To protect the 450R frame and swingarm from the abuse of XC racing, PRM Products chassis and swingarm skid plates were added for their complete underbelly protection.

This Photo also demonstrates the increased wheel base of the Project 450R over the Stock Machine.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
IMS/Roll foot pegs were installed because of their extra width and three rung design for increased holding power. Also, complimenting AC Racing nerf bars specifically designed to work the IMS/Roll pegs were added for additional rider protection from other riders and track obstacles.

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Suspension

The stock suspension on 450R far exceeded what was available in the past on stock machines, but it still can’t compete with the custom built shocks by Elka suspension for XC racing. The shocks were built to my weight specifications, riding style, and adjusted for the Swingarm and A-arm measurement changes. The front triple rate piggy back reservoir shocks are compression only adjustable which is more than adequate adjustability for the majority of riders, but are also available with dual compression adjustment and rebound adjustability

Admin
12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
An Elka dual rate fully adjustable rear shock with front mounting reservoir for added cooling was also added along with an Elka Rear Linkage which provides a low ride height for handling and increases the wheel travel for a smoother ride.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Traction

The hard pounding XC racing can quickly bend and destroy factory wheels, so ITP T-9 Pro Series Baja Wheels were added front and rear with their inner and outer reinforcing rings for increased strength. For added traction and controllability, ITP’s new Holeshot HD tires were added in the front and rear which provide incredible traction even in the muddiest conditions.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
For flat tire prevention, each wheel was mounted with Tireballs, which are a revolutionary new product for the ATV market that eliminates the worry of receiving a flat tire during a race. The specifically formed Tireballs are layered in each tire to eliminate the need to add air to the tires because each ball is already filled with the necessary amount of air to inflate the tire to its proper riding pressure.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Also, Baldwin Billet Aluminum front hubs were added for increased durability and available extended race studs for quick wheels changes if required.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
For increased stopping power, DP Brake’s high grade stainless steel brake rotors and race proven sintered brake pads were installed front and rear along with Streamline Performance steel braided brakes lines. Golden Spectro Dot 4 High Performance Braking Fluid was added to withstand the tremendous heat generated during a racing event. Finally, a DID X-ring ATV chain was installed to handle the increased engine horsepower.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Appearance

To further set our Project 450R apart from a stock 450R we had the majority of the factory parts either powdercoated or polished by Pappy’s Performance Coatings. White Laker Custom fenders with its heavy duty simulated carbon fiber front hood were installed to enhance the appearance of the machine

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
For the finishing touch, Burgard Cycle machined a mirror polished aluminum clutch cover engraved with “EXRIDERS 450R.”

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Test Ride

When assembly was complete, it was finally time to see how the Project 450R stacked up against stock 450R. Again, with the help of GNCC Pro Racer, Andy Lagzdins(Duncan Racing/Dirt First) and GNCC Stock Class Racer, Harlen Foley, we put the machines to a head to head timed test.

Andy was the 1st rider to mount the 450R and bring it to life with one kick. It was amazing the difference in the ability to start the Project machine over the Stock 450R, which took several kicks to start most of the time.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Andy wasted no time in opening it up, and the HD tires quickly uprooted the grass in the yard:eek:.

We quickly decided that the yard may not be the best place to get use to riding the Project 450R

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:52 PM
We out back to the wide open fields to see how much power the Project Produced.

Andy had no problems raising the front end as he held it wide open coming out of the woods.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
After several threats of bodily harm, I was able to persuade him to let me get a chance to ride the beast:devil:

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Once we both felt comfortable riding the Project 450R, we decided to break out the Stock 450R and compare the differences.

Admin
12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Andy wasted no time pushing the Stock 450R to its limits and doing it with style.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
After switching back and forth several times on each machine, we decided to put these two machines to a head to head test for top speed.

The Project 450R was geared lower than stock because we replaced the stock 14 tooth front sprocket with a 13 tooth sprocket for more lowend for woods competition, so we were curious to see if the extra power was enough to overcome the lower gearing.

The result was that the 450R was able to pull the Stock Machine in every gear, but the stock machine wasn't left in the dust by any means.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Once they both were in 5th Gear, the Project 450R was able to out rev and the Stock Machine and gradually pull away even with the lower gearing.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Once we where finished comparing the top speed of both machines, we decided it was time to head into the woods and see if all the modification made a difference where it counted.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:14 PM
We created a small loop through the woods to get a feel of how are times would be affected between riding the two machines.

The loop contained several high speed sections with some 90 Degree turns at the ends to test the braking power and body roll. Also, we added some zig zag sections to determine the how well the machines responded to changing direction.

Also, a XC course wouldn't be complete without a hill climb and some tight down hill sections. The only thing that the loop was missing was some rough whooped out sections to really test the suspension performance.

We both took practice laps on the Stock & Project machine to get comfortable with the loop.

Andy Headed out first to set the time to beat.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Then it was my time to head out, and Andy did everything possible to ensure that my time wasn't faster:eek2:

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:20 PM
I felt very comfortable riding the Stock 450R, but my times were 2 to 3 seconds slower than Pro Rider Andy Lagzdins after we each took several turns on the Stock Machine.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Once Andy was able to head out on the Project 450R, his times decreased by as much as 7 seconds a lap.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:25 PM
I also experienced decreased laps times, and I could definetly tell the difference between the way both machines handled. With each lap, I felt more and more comfortable on the Project 450R, and my confidence level increased, which allowed me to push myself to stay on the gas longer and brake later heading into a turn.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:39 PM
After we were finished put in some laps on the Project 450R, it was time to see exactly the difference power wise between the stock 450R and Project 450R.

To accomplish this, I called Precision Motorsports to bring out their Mobile Dyno to compare the two machines.

www.precision-ms.com

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
We removed the HD Tires and replaced them with TT Tires to get an accurate reading on the Performance of the two machines.

Matt & Ryan strapped down the 450R to prepare it for its first Dyno Run.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Matt setup the fan to keep the machine cool during the test, and we were ready to record our first run on the Dyno.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
The Project 450R had a dramatic increase in its horsepower after the Baldwin modifications.

The Top Speed of Project dropped off quicker than the Stock machine because of the gearing difference, and we will be conducting a test in the near future to get an exact comparsion with the same gearing.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:57 PM
The Project 450R also had an increased amount of Torque.

Admin
12-15-2004, 07:58 PM
The Top Speed Chart clearly showed that the lower gearing affected the top end speed of the Project 450R with a Stock CDI unit compared to the Stock 450R.

Admin
12-15-2004, 08:05 PM
After running several Dyno Test with the Stock CDI on both Units, we installed the Duncan Racing Vortex CDI to look for an improvement in performance.

The Vortex CDI didn't increase HP or Torque compared to the Stock CDI, but it did allow the 450R to rev out to 11,500 RPM.

The HP Curve was virtually identical even with the different maps available on the CDI Unit.

Admin
12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
The Vortex CDI did give the Project 450R an almost 10 Mph Speed gain in 4th Gear.

Admin
12-15-2004, 08:08 PM
The 5th Gear Speed increased by almost 11 Mph with the Vortex CDI over the Stock Unit, which was a very impressive gain, so if you need some extra speed, the ignition will be a great addition to any 450R.

Admin
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
The great thing was the the Ignition had the same affect on the Stock 450R. The Stock 450R top speed increased from 72 Mph to almost 83 Mph, which was again almost an 11 Mph Increase:eek:

Admin
12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
The Project 450R was a great experience to build, and I plan on putting it head to head with the Project 400EX next year to see how they compare to each other and their Stock counter part on a dyno and at the track.

Also, check back soon for a more indepth reviews of many of the products installed on the Project 450R. I also, will be adding many step by step instructions on installing the aftermarket components.

I hope everyone the Project 450R article, and if you have any comments or questions, I look forward to hearing from you.

Ralph
12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
That thing is sweet! So when can i put it to some real testing?

Mobile Dyno
12-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Awesome Review. Great job. :) That bike is sweet:D

JDiablo
12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
wow sweet setup....11 mph gain though!? that is sick

tamehart
12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Awesome build Harlen...looking forward to checking the thing out in person

beak7707
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Great job, loved the review.

SRH
12-15-2004, 09:52 PM
reminds me of a white yfz:eek: i like it, the baldwin exhaust sets it off not a big fan of the white tank or stickers but looks good

dn1911
12-15-2004, 11:21 PM
since you are running the clutch why not just run the stock gearing and let the clutch handle the slow speed stuff?

LazeR
12-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Awesome review, and that is one hell of a good looking 450r!:macho

Admin
12-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by dn1911
since you are running the clutch why not just run the stock gearing and let the clutch handle the slow speed stuff?

The Rekluse clutch would prevent the 450R from stalling easily, but it wouldn't make up for the lack of low end power lost from the stock gearing. Also, in Cross Country racing you barely ever need to go over 80mph, so the lower gearing would be more usable on a hill climb or quick acceleration to make a pass.

dn1911
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
true if you want some good low end push but would still like to keep your top end then you might do some reasearch on Trail Tech weighted flywheel. i am running one now and i was able to take my gearing from 13/39 (great down low sucked up top) and return it to 14/39. i'm not puting the stock rear on cause i paid to much for the one i got.

that new flywheel helps alot in the woods though and still would work well with the clutch, wich i have one coming (cain't wait).
i think the $120 for the flywheel is well worth the low end traction and push plus getting you top end back. jsut food for thought.

Admin
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by dn1911
true if you want some good low end push but would still like to keep your top end then you might do some reasearch on Trail Tech weighted flywheel. i am running one now and i was able to take my gearing from 13/39 (great down low sucked up top) and return it to 14/39. i'm not puting the stock rear on cause i paid to much for the one i got.

that new flywheel helps alot in the woods though and still would work well with the clutch, wich i have one coming (cain't wait).
i think the $120 for the flywheel is well worth the low end traction and push plus getting you top end back. jsut food for thought.

Thanks for the Info, I may just have to try it.

Raptorchick
12-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Looks awesome Harlen! Great review.:cool:

dunnonuttin
12-16-2004, 01:59 PM
so does this mean i can have the 400ex for xmas:confused:

muddy400EX
12-16-2004, 06:56 PM
:eek2: that R is awesome. what was the top speed of the baldwin with the vortex CDI. do they make one for the 400ex and if so do they make that big of a difference. if they do then i gotta get me one of those:eek2:

cady#1
12-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Nice bike, to bad you can't race it, but for good reason! :p

Punk'd
12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
GOD!! i love that thing!!!! i want it so bad im looking into white plastics! GREAT JOB

vote out of 10...

100!!!;)

FasstMidnightZ
12-17-2004, 12:04 PM
awsome pics !!!:)

chad502ex
12-17-2004, 02:07 PM
yea, I heard that since ATVRIDERS has no room to store this beauty, that Harlen was going to donate this thumper to me so I could disect it! LOL.

in my dreams maybe

Thump_It
12-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Damn NICE!!!!!!!!:eek:

spincr4hire
12-17-2004, 05:28 PM
very nice:macho

jeepnrocks
12-17-2004, 06:20 PM
just noticed this. whats going on with the rear tire in this picture ?
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1369914

Pappy
12-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
just noticed this. whats going on with the rear tire in this picture ?
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1369914

thanks too tire balls, the tire will flex like crazy. looks weird but works:p

jeepnrocks
12-17-2004, 06:41 PM
i figured it had something to do with the tire balls and yes it looks lwild..
pappy did you do the gusseting on that bike ?

Pappy
12-17-2004, 06:43 PM
no, i leave all the gusseting to my good friend Izzy at Burgard Cycle. he has done a few hundred frames for me and ive been satisfied with them. I can do them, but i just dont have the free time.

jeepnrocks
12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
pappy u have a pm :)

12-18-2004, 07:28 AM
holy **** that r kicks ***

theTman
12-18-2004, 07:40 AM
good job like always harlum

Jersey450R
12-18-2004, 07:47 AM
harlum? I thought is was Harlen :eek:

Ralph
12-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
harlum? I thought is was Harlen :eek:

nope its harlum:macho :blah:

ckasper18
12-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Great in depth article Harlen and all the others who pitched in there time and efforts.Great Job...........Chris

ATVdyno
12-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Harlen,

Sweet threads on the 450r. This is Ryan from Precision Motorsports. How's the camera lens after the intense photo shoot? :D

Later

chad502ex
12-18-2004, 05:39 PM
What's really incredible to me is that the Project 450R had only pipe, air filter, jetting and port/flow work and gained 11hp over stock. Now, that's the most reliable HP money can buy- period!

33 to 44rwhp without piston without valve work without stroking

Gotta love those HONDA's!!

Very good job on this everyone!

:macho

SANTA_CLAUS
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Christmas colors! Good work Harlum!

Pappy
12-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by PMclutch
Harlen,
How's the camera lens after the intense photo shoot? :D

:chinese: i think he forgot about that:D

holeshot19
12-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
What's really incredible to me is that the Project 450R had only pipe, air filter, jetting and port/flow work and gained 11hp over stock. Now, that's the most reliable HP money can buy- period!

33 to 44rwhp without piston without valve work without stroking

Gotta love those HONDA's!!

Very good job on this everyone!

:macho they put a piston in it 11to1

chad502ex
12-18-2004, 10:43 PM
oh, ok that somewhat helps. I didn't notice the piston.

Assuming same piston bore:
from 10:1 to 11:1 there is an ~3% gain from previous hp,
from 11:1 to 12:1 another 3% from previous,
and so on.
stock 10.5 so 1.5% gain to 11:1. 33hp x 1.5% = 0.5hp

11:1 would acount for ~0.5hp over stock

10.5hp for port/flow, pipe, filter/jetting and 0.5hp for piston

the point was that 10 hp for port-flow/pipe/filter is awseome choice of mods for the most potential gain in hp/$. It also happens to be the most reliable hp you can buy (no moving parts). reliability drops with piston installation. I'm just trying to point out that for less than a grand you can get a 30% gain in power from stock and still maintain reliability even without piston

I'd love to ride this machine (jealous).

Out_Sider
12-18-2004, 11:39 PM
chad502ex.. i've been reading alot of your posts lately regarding motor work, and i must say you are well educated about motors. do you think there would be a bigger performance increase if they had used a fcr 41mm carb?

chad502ex
12-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
chad502ex.. i've been reading alot of your posts lately regarding motor work, and i must say you are well educated about motors. do you think there would be a bigger performance increase if they had used a fcr 41mm carb?

I've seen dynos with the 41mm carb vs. stock carb and the performance increase with fcr is minimal. Maybe the bottom end grunt would provide a better seat of the pants feel, but not much performance gain on the dyno. Not worth the money. Yes, the stock carb is really a decent carb!

hope this helps.

chad502ex

Admin
12-19-2004, 08:42 AM
I've seen dynos with the 41mm carb vs. stock carb and the performance increase with fcr is minimal. Maybe the bottom end grunt would provide a better seat of the pants feel, but not much performnacnce gain on the dyno. Not worth the money. Yes, the stock carb is really a desent carb!

hope this helps.

chad502ex

Chad, You will get a chance to ride it for sure:D

chad502ex
12-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Admin
Chad, You will get a chance to ride it for sure:D

thanks, I can't wait!

I love that clutch cover too! Pappy is look'n into one for me for the 550. That would be sweet!

;)

chad502ex

Dave400ex
12-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Very sweet quad. I checked it out at the Ironman and it is very impressive. Good products used all around!

rooster300ex
12-19-2004, 10:25 AM
that was interesting

TC426EX
12-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Great lookin bike, Im sure it rips!

TORO1968
12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Very sweet quad. I checked it out at the Ironman and it is very impressive. Good products used all around!

I also had a chance to check this thing out at the Ironman...Very nice build, Harlen. :)

So when are you guys gonna do a YFZ build-up? :D

-Jordan

born-2-race
12-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Great review! That red frame with white plastic looks sweet :D

Admin
12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by TORO1968
I also had a chance to check this thing out at the Ironman...Very nice build, Harlen. :)

So when are you guys gonna do a YFZ build-up? :D

-Jordan

A new project will be in the works shortly

Ralph
12-20-2004, 08:10 PM
A new project will be in the works shortly

i have a feeling i know exactly what it will be:eek2:

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
i have a feeling i know exactly what it will be:eek2:

ok take a guess. I have no idea,..

:confused:

Jersey450R
12-21-2004, 05:26 AM
A big bore?!

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
A big bore?!

love to hear that!

Ralph
12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Im under a confidentiality agreement:eek:

I can tell you this, its gonna be sweet.:)

Anyways, i saw the article in atv sport today about the project and i noticed how they still put it as ExRiders.com.

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Im under a confidentiality agreement:eek:

I can tell you this, its gonna be sweet.:)

Anyways, i saw the article in atv sport today about the project and i noticed how they still put it as ExRiders.com.

ok. Then, when can we expect to see the next project?

Admin
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
The next Project is already in the works, and it should be finished by the June or sooner.

I plan on producing two projects a year with more indepth reviews throughout the year.

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
The next Project is already in the works, and it should be finished by the June or sooner.

I plan on producing two projects a year with more indepth reviews throughout the year.

Great! Good luck to each builds. I'm sure they'll both be incredible

Ralph
12-21-2004, 02:00 PM
ok. Then, when can we expect to see the next project?

i have no idea, i dont have any real insider info on harlens project. I just have a really really good idea of what its gonna be.

Pappy
12-21-2004, 05:31 PM

i reckon i dont get no vacation this year:cool:

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i reckon i dont get no vacation this year:cool:

i reckon that's why you get payed the big bucks!

Pappy
12-21-2004, 06:52 PM
i reckon that's why you get payed the big bucks!

im lucky if harely buys me lunch!

chad502ex
12-21-2004, 07:14 PM
im lucky if harely buys me lunch!

heh, I forgot to mention that I was just kidding and that it is really none of my business if you did get the bucks.

just fun'n, but I think he should give you huge Christmas bonus!

;)

Andy Lagzdins
12-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Harlen- Congrats on the article, and thanks for letting me thrash the project quad around the farm for a little while! Great job on getting the quad together in a very short amount of time, and making all the different brands of parts work together right out of the box.
The Baldwin motor felt strong without being an arm-jerker. The motor fired up first kick, and combined with the auto clutch the quad was great for dead-engine starts. The stock carb has great throttle action (light) and makes good XC power.
The extended swingarm and a-arms really showed their potential in the field sections we were riding on, but it was hard to tell if there was any benefit in the tight stuff. We had the test loop setup very technical and tight. The stock 450r we used felt very nimble through the trees, but had no power coming out of the corners.
I can't wait to get the project quad and my Duncan big-valve 450r on the dyno and check out the numbers. Maybe we could do lap times with the two 450r's, swapping riders on a longer loop than before.
Keep me in mind for future projects!

Admin
12-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Andy, and it was a pleasure to have you involved with the project, and I can't wait to put the Ducan 470R up against the Baldwin 450R in the Woods and on the Dyno. Also, I plan on pulling out the Project 400EX for some head to head testing in the near future.

Thanks Again,

300expower
12-23-2004, 07:50 PM
great bike but poor HP's....

Mr.Obvious
12-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Great job Harlum excellent work.

How about getting the 400ex project quad out the garage and doing the same on it compared to a stock 400ex.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/avatar.php?userid=10046&dateline=1059859537

reconmaster
12-24-2004, 08:15 AM
it looks awesome just wondering when ur racin xc what type of power do u want more(bottem end, mid range, top end) and is a 450r stock better 4 the xc or the mx track?

250RXCrider
12-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Harlen,

Hats off to building a sweet XC racing quad. I was just wondering if you had ever thought of doing "profiles" on different pro XC racers quads. I would love to see what performance mods top racers like Andy Lagzdins and Chris Borich do to their 450R's.

Thanks again for a great site.

-JP

JDiablo
12-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by reconmaster
it looks awesome just wondering when ur racin xc what type of power do u want more(bottem end, mid range, top end) and is a 450r stock better 4 the xc or the mx track?

more bottom to mid
and the 450r is better stock for XC

cady#1
12-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 250RXCrider
Harlen,

Hats off to building a sweet XC racing quad. I was just wondering if you had ever thought of doing "profiles" on different pro XC racers quads. I would love to see what performance mods top racers like Andy Lagzdins and Chris Borich do to their 450R's.

Thanks again for a great site.

-JP

Yeah, Definely!
Add a question to each asking what they think is the weakest point on the bike and how they have seem to make it work!:cool:
This site Rocks!:)

kazpr
12-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Sweet build. Nice job harlen and all that helped.

pismoracer
12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Man that is a good lookin honda!

good job on the build, im thouroglhy (sp?)
impressed!

Metzroth
01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Well i think instead of building up my 400ex im gunna wait till i can afford an R. Nice review, awesome pics! Good Job....:D

dn1911
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
last i had heard you were looking into the heavier flywheel, did anything become of that? i finally spent some good time in the woods with mine. we used 14/39 gearing and a stage2 hot cam. the bike worked great down low and still pulled awsome up top.

jdwxv3
01-08-2005, 04:37 PM
WOW:eek2: I am jelous:D

motoracer102
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
what was the grand total on the r when it was done?

No Limit Grizzl
01-14-2005, 03:47 AM
I'm a little bit surprised by the CDI results. I've tested myself with Dyna FS CDI on YFZ and had same results : more top speed but no power gain, maybe a little lost.

So my conclusion is : buy cheapest CDI wit curve that is close to stock curve and higher rev limit.

Seems like CDI manufacturers can't create beter curves than OEM.

Punk'd
01-25-2005, 08:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/z400punk13/101andyquickstartroost.jpg

So much power the left rear wheel is tearing off. Either that or them tires hook up to good:blah:

Dave400ex
01-25-2005, 08:32 PM
The tire is like that because of the Tire Balls.

Pappy
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
i wish i would have taken a picture of harlen and andy re-seeding harlens mom's yard:devil:

Ralph
01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
i wish i would have taken a picture of harlen and andy re-seeding harlens mom's yard:devil:

bwahahaha, thats funny, reminds me of upstate ny at my friends house. we tear up the field so bad and then the whole summer is spent getting the grass back just to be torn up again...

TheFontMaster
01-25-2005, 08:52 PM
WOW it took me long enough to see this thread. I saw the project 450 in a magazine last month. Machine looks awsome You really did a great job on it. I would like to see what kind of power the 450 would put out with more extensive mods, if it got that much power out of only a pipe, porting and a piston.

Punk'd
01-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
The tire is like that because of the Tire Balls.

Thats not bad for the tire is it?

Dave400ex
01-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't really know, but I don't think so. The Tire Balls are suppose to let it do that...

Plante400
01-26-2005, 10:00 PM
i think its going to me a Legendary R
a 250 that is..
why would he buiild a yamaha for a Honda site?

unless he is... that would be kool too i guess hahha

dunno

later

catch22blaster
02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek:
nice project

Joe400ex
04-19-2005, 11:53 AM
now i know that it is a stupid ? i have a 400ex. my buddy just bought a banshee piped and man is that thing qiuk. i was wondering i like honda and i like 4 stroke but i havent ridden a 4 strock thats that qiuk is this banshee lighter than a 450. and i herd the banshees are high mantinence thanks guys:)

Johnny & Monica
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Plante400
i think its going to me a Legendary R
a 250 that is..
why would he buiild a yamaha for a Honda site?

unless he is... that would be kool too i guess hahha

dunno

later

Not a Honda site no more We`re ATVRIDERS.COM opened minded to all Quads Harlen races a suzuki z400 , But that is a sweat 450r Harlen . Hoping you help me get my 450R set-up alittle soon:D Awesome Report on the 450r an great perks to pappy Baldwin motorsports an Burgard

byf450
04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
what size front tire were you guys using

SwainRacing
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
We are running Razor2 23" on the front and 22"s on ther rear of our TRX for GNCC racing.

Ralph
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
the next one should be even better, but i dont think its gonna be blue.... or red....:eek:

rYan01400EX
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Thats one wicked sick 450R Harlen.. Keep up the good work.

Snow
06-11-2005, 10:30 PM
hey man.. thats a really nice 450. I just wanted to clear something up though, if i bought a vortex cdi ignition switch and installed it onto my completely stock 450r i would gain around 11 mph? Also, please pm me with details on were to get one, Thanks.

chad502ex
06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
ya know, I would love to build a stroker for this quad!! :D

PowerMadd789XC
06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
thats is one awsome quad harlen , keep it up . :D

450RRyder
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
What would it coust me to get my R to that level power wise

450R Wanna Be
07-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I was wondering if the stock 450R front shocks will work well on my stocker 400EX. I'm a woods rider and looking for a decent, less expensive shock upgrade. I'm planning on getting a 450R when I get home, but I want to keep the 400 also.

Has anyone noticed the CRF450X comes with an electric starter? I would like to know if anyone has tried to mount one on their "R". You use an aftermarket 400EX aluminum airbox to mount the battery and still have a kicker back up...downside is added weight.

xraptorriderx
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
dude i sawl that thing yester day and it is bad ***

Mojo250
09-14-2005, 05:23 PM
amazing quad, and i love the dyno charts! well done!

450Redrider5
10-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Awesome quad how much that thing cost to build???

mike nash
10-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I would like to know how the rekluse has worked after nearly a year.

Mean250r
01-22-2006, 03:35 PM
i like the smell of lightbulbs

lzyga05
02-13-2006, 07:13 PM
i must say not bad ... nice quad you guys should try out the vortex pipe i hear good stuff about it :) or maybe try out one of those tubro , give us a nice review. Very nice review i liked it , its geting better and better

04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
are u gunnaa sell that bike or what??

jimmy123_272
05-15-2006, 09:11 AM
that would be a waste of money if he was to sell it

mike nash
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Nearly 2 years ago. NEED a New project quad. How about that 450 Korean quad that would be different then do a shootout.

Almost a year since I asked the question above.

IMSROLL450R
11-14-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree new project quad for 07 would be nice I want to know what to do to my 06 to give it go fast.......

Pappy
11-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by mike nash
Nearly 2 years ago. NEED a New project quad. How about that 450 Korean quad that would be different then do a shootout.

Almost a year since I asked the question above.

I would have to apologize for Harlen, he spends little time on the actual forums. He has about 2 more weeks of travel and then he will be figuring out what to do next for a project(some are done, just havent been posted:devil: )

I do know that there are some builds coming up that should keep everyone happy, so stay tuned.

TheFontMaster
11-18-2006, 05:47 AM
I think an old school 250r build should be an idea. That is one project I would deffinatly build for the site:macho

Pappy
11-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I think an old school 250r build should be an idea. That is one project I would deffinatly build for the site:macho

While I still love the 250R, getting companies on board to help with the project will be tough. They are all concentrating on the newest models:ermm:

chad502ex
11-18-2006, 07:54 AM
I would have to apologize for Harlen, he spends little time on the actual forums. He has about 2 more weeks of travel and then he will be figuring out what to do next for a project(some are done, just havent been posted:devil: )

I do know that there are some builds coming up that should keep everyone happy, so stay tuned.

care to share a bit of inside information for us peeps, PappY?

MSUSurferDude
12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm all the time reading about engine performance mods comparing say a Baldwin modification setup to a stock setup. Has anyone ever done a comparison of maybe a Baldwin or other setup against a stock motor but with the dealer installed HRC kit on the 450R?

mike nash
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
New project please. I suggest a Z400 only because the 400 crowd may be feeling left out and the EX has been done. Build it to hang with the 450's.:macho

Ralph
03-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Theres idea0s floating around for the next project. It should deffinately be awesome!

chad502ex
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Theres idea0s floating around for the next project. It should deffinately be awesome!

what color base,... is it gonna be green i wonder... hmm

Ralph
03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
what color base,... is it gonna be green i wonder... hmm

:uhoh:

gamberc
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Very nice, that is one nice looking trx, when do i get to drive it

lzyga05
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
i think its time for a f/I quad now ... raptor or the 450 :)

lzyga05
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
i think its time for a f/I quad now ... raptor or the 450 :)

mike nash
10-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Is there any interest in future Project quads?

Pappy
10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by mike nash
Is there any interest in future Project quads?

there is actually several that are all ready built, they just havent been released yet:p

mike nash
10-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Cool,can't wait.:D Who owns the white R I was hoping that after that quad was competed someone would have done a write up on the Rekluse clutch.

Pappy
10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
The site owns the white R. I am not sure if there is an actual write up regarding the rekluse on this quad, but there are several on the unit itself. Colby at C&D is the go to man regarding any info on that set up, he seems to know it well.

mike nash
10-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Jake250ex
10-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I know this is all old news, but everytime I see that bike I just think it would have been better looking and wayyy cheaper for a set of oem plastics and some graphics.

Maybe just me! Either way it looks good, a little out of my price range though.

Pappy
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
I know this is all old news, but everytime I see that bike I just think it would have been better looking and wayyy cheaper for a set of oem plastics and some graphics.

Maybe just me! Either way it looks good, a little out of my price range though.

At the time it was built, only oem fenders in red were available. Aftermarket was the only option for getting white.

BrianD
02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
This may be a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer. But moving the arms forward did you just cut and re weld the mounts back onto the frame or were the arms adjustable in that way?

IOWAracer
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
a arms are built that way basicly jsut moves the lower shock mount back and the arm forward so that the shock is still strait with the upper mounts....

BB

10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Andy wasted no time in opening it up, and the HD tires quickly uprooted the grass in the yard:eek:.

We quickly decided that the yard may not be the best place to get use to riding the Project 450R

i swear it looks like the back right tire dismounted

Jersey450R
10-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
i swear it looks like the back right tire dismounted

tire balls