PDA

View Full Version : post-rebuild blues

mike02ex
12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
alright need some help, i just got my bike back togather two days ago, heres some info on the bike:
bored .20 over w/wiesco piston
rebuilt head{new valve seals, 3 angle valve grind
cleaned ports}
open air box w/uni filter
stock exauhst{spelling} w/spark arrest removed-i, know ghetto,
hmf in the mail.
rebuilt the carb, when we put the motor togather.
when i first got the bike togather 2 days ago and started it, purred like a kitten,rode yesterday and ran fine, about 40 deg. f.
outside.
came home today and it was about 30 deg. f.
started the bike w/ the choke on and idled for about 5 min. turned the choke off and it killed it . then i put the choke back on and rode for about 15 mins. with it on and turned it off, killed it.
the motor gets warm/hot so i know its warmed up should i be movin the needle in these temps?, anyone else had this problem?
plese help.:confused:

mojoe2878
12-14-2004, 04:41 PM
what jetting is in there.
what is the air/fuel screw set at.
you may need to go up on the pilot jet size to make it easier to start and idle.
the main jet needle position has nothing to do with it idling.

mike02ex
12-14-2004, 04:44 PM
it still has stock jetting, theair fuel screw is questionable, dad put it back in, im sure thats probly some of the problem,the head is stickin out enough to see the whole slot in the head,

mojoe2878
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
screw the air/fuel screw in all the way until it is lightly seated and then back it out about 2 1/2 turns and try it. you can back it out a little more, but if it needs more than 3 turns out to idle right then you need to go up to a #40 or 42 pilot jet.

mike02ex
12-14-2004, 04:48 PM
thank you ill try that tomm. afternoon and let you know what happens. what about the outside temp could that cause a problem?

mojoe2878
12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by mike02ex
thank you ill try that tomm. afternoon and let you know what happens. what about the outside temp could that cause a problem?
yes, when it gets colder you sometimes have to go a little richer on the jetting.