PDA

View Full Version : salvage autos!

Giz400ex
12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Has anyone bought a salvage vehicle before? If so, whats your opinion? Thanks

Splatter Matter
12-14-2004, 04:18 PM
check with you insurance company first some wont cover them.

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
i have never purchased one myself, but a good buddy of mine bought one, and has had a ton of probs with it... one prob he had was that the frame needed to be straitened , and when they mounted up the body panels and painted them, the paint cracked about a month later cuz the panels started to settle and caused them to stretch and crack... motor probs are common also..!!

often times if there is a prob with the motor, these places will add chemicals to deaden a motor knock or what not, and the owner will not notice it til they change the oil.. (happened to a buddy of mine) BTW lucas makes a product that does this!!! just my 2 cents

Giz400ex
12-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Splatter Matter
check with you insurance company first some wont cover them. Thanks, I never thought about that!

Giz400ex
12-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
i have never purchased one myself, but a good buddy of mine bought one, and has had a ton of probs with it... one prob he had was that the frame needed to be straitened , and when they mounted up the body panels and painted them, the paint cracked about a month later cuz the panels started to settle and caused them to stretch and crack... motor probs are common also..!!

often times if there is a prob with the motor, these places will add chemicals to deaden a motor knock or what not, and the owner will not notice it til they change the oil.. (happened to a buddy of mine) BTW lucas makes a product that does this!!! just my 2 cents How old was the vehicle at the time?

quadman440ex
12-14-2004, 05:11 PM
I have 2 vehicles with salvage titles, 1988 Thunderbird turbo coupe and 1995 Ford Lightning. They are both great vehicles but alot has to do with who fixes them and how bad they were wrecked. Niether one of mine were very bad, just light front damage. Better plan on driving it until the wheels fall off because most dealers wont take them in on a trade, and salvage tilte vehicles are hard to sell. Some banks wont even loan for them. But I am not planning on selling mine because when they are old enough (hopefully) they will start to regain some of their value.

Aceman
12-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I bought a 2000 Mustang GT off Ebay that was salvage. It had 23,000 miles when I bought it. I paid 9700 for it but with shipping and things I've needed to fix I have about 11,600 into it now a year and a half later. What it comes down to is how well was the repair job---that's the bottom line. After buying this car, I'm kinda split 50-50 on whether or not I would do it again. It's never stranded me and runs like a top but I've found a few things they half-assed when they put it back together. I'm also dreading the day I have to sell it and gotta tell the buyer it's rebuilt.:( That will be a BIG price drop. I paid cash for mine so I don't know much about banks giving loans for salvage vehicles. Never had a problem insuring it though.

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 05:39 PM
The car i was talkin about is a 2000 Saturn sc2

flat_track400ex
12-14-2004, 07:31 PM
i had a 88 s10 pickup that was wrecked when i got it and when we got it back the only problem i had was that it need aligned after that i didnt have any probs w/ it
a friend of mine has bought a couple salavage cars cuz his pap owns a junk yard and they go to the sale he hasnt ahad any problems w/ his. You jsut got ot see how bad it is hit

rodknee
12-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I have had 4 rigs myself & my brother has had 5 or 6. No problems with them at all, but we knew the guys who built them. That makes all the difference in the world. The bank stuff is true, but check around & se what you can find. Good luck

SGA
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Its kinda iffie buying one. Most of the time you have to put much time and cash into one to make it right. Worth it to some people, to most people its not.
Save a bit longer and get a car that has not been wrecked to the point of salvage. Better yet, not wrecked at all.

Rdhanded2
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Some states will not license them either. I looked into a salvage title bike a few years back, and IL would not allow it.

Kennethyfz450
12-15-2004, 09:07 AM
i almost bought a salvage mustang gt, but instead i bought a truck that had a clean tittle...

my gf bought a saturn and..... she has nothing but problems out of it... its becasue of the people who fixed it are sorry!