PDA

View Full Version : cam and gasket??

EXDUNER127
12-14-2004, 01:47 PM
What is the big difference between the hotcam stg1 and 2 on a 400ex, alot of people on here say stg1 for bottom to mid, and stg2 for mid to top, but hotcams say the stg1 is for mid to top, and stg2 is desert or motocross (which means) ?

And what does putting a xr400 head gasket on when installing cam do, i noticed people doing this?

cals400ex
12-14-2004, 01:53 PM
the xr head gasket, or cosmetic thin head gasket is thinner. this will raise your compression a bit and you should get a better flame travel across the top of the piston by doing this.

with the stage 1, you will gain more mid and top end power over the stock cam. many say the stage 1 is for bottom end because they are comparing it to more aggressive cam. however, hotcam is comparing it to the stock cam. compared to the stock cam, the stage 1 will have more mim-top. compared to cams with larger duration, it will have better low end power. i wouldn't put the stage 2 in if your not going higher compression. with that cam i find it to be much more beneficial by running a good full exhaust. i have not had good luck in any bike yet by running a slip on exhaust. well, let me rephrase that. i have had better luck running the stage 1 in everybike that had a piston and a slip on exhaust. by the way, the welds were cut down in the headers in both bikes that i have experienced with.

quadkrazy400ex
12-14-2004, 01:55 PM
i used the xr400 gasket with mine, i also went with the stage 2 hotcam, which im pretty sure that you loose a little bottom end power with where the stage 1 keeps the stock bottom end power. i went with the stage 2 because im at wot a lot and do a lot of high speed riding, where the stage 1 is more for trail riding where bottom end and mid range power is mostly used.

correct me if im wrong here.