PDA

View Full Version : 88 TRX250R Carb question

ddbyrd
12-14-2004, 01:07 PM
My carb is leaking fuel out of the overflow tube. I pulled it apart, replaced the needle and set the float level. The seat does not appear to be replaceable.

(16mm from the carb base to the bottom of the float, carb held on its side, not upside down so the float tab just touches the needle )

I reinstalled the carb fired it up, ran it for a few minutes, and when I shut it off it began leaking out the overfloe tube again,,,

any ideas, am I over looking anything??

any help/ideas would be appreciated..

pharit
12-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Frustraight huh???

I had the same problem with my 86, i come dirt in that kelpt my float sticking, What i did was Take out the petcock of the gas tank and drain all the fuel and rinse it out some some fuel. and you should be ok. Like i said my 86 would do the same thing Tear apart the carb clean it out couldn;t find **** BLAH BLAH BLAH but i;d rinse out your tank man.

250rpilot
12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ddbyrd
replaced the needle and set the float level. The seat does not appear to be replaceable.

am I over looking anything??

any help/ideas would be appreciated..

did you replace the float? sometimes they can become soaked with gas and dont actually "float" anymore. they can just sink and let the gas flow.

ddbyrd
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
NAH.. the tank is clean, its definatly in the carb..

I held the float in my hand, is wasnt soaked, cracked, or full of fuel causing it to sink...

I was told on another web site that the 86-89 trx's DID NOT have replacable seats, that only the needle is replaceable. If in fact after changing the needle and setting the float level if fuel continued to come out of the overflow then the carb had to be replaced..

I am trying to see if there is any truth to that story..

In the mean time I will just have to shut off my petcock when I am not riding it..

Rich250RRacer
12-14-2004, 09:55 PM
The seat on these carbs cannot be replaced, if it is bad the carb must be replaced. Take your carb back off, remove the bowl and dry any gas that might be in it. Take a clean piece of fuel line hose, put it on the fuel inlet and with light pressure on the float, blow through the hose. If the seat is good, it should hold pressure (till you turn blue in the face), if it is leaking, even slightly, you should hear the air pass through.

ddbyrd
12-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Thats a great idea, I will try it in the morning.

But the fact that it is still leaking is evident that that is the problem,

I'll update after I pull the carb back off.

bone705
12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
mine dont just come gushing out but if you leave the gas on over a short period of time she will start dripping out.

gsxr68
12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
A trick that worked on mine was a 1\4 -60 degree three flute countersink. It fits in the hole perfect. I used that to clean the seat up and mine stopped leaking. You will probably need to get that a tool supply house.

beerock
12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
the stock carb sucks IMHO just buy a new keihn and call it a day. i run a 39pwk and i leave my gas on all the time and has never leaked in 4 years, and ive never cleaned this carb EVER.