PDA

View Full Version : Megamax on a 330?

hondardr4life
12-14-2004, 08:12 AM
I am getting the FST 330 kit in my 300ex. I already have an FMF megamax pipe, and I was wondering if I will be ok keeping it, or if I should get like a sparks or something. I know someone on here has a 330 with a megamax, how does it run??? I dont have the $$$$$ for a port and polish, so am I still going to notice a big power gain with the 330 and cam, ect..:confused:

400ex men
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
ok will be ok but you need to get a sparks later on some time:)

frosti108
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
c'mon man you really need the port and polish. i thought you were going all out???
im telling you the port/polish will give you some of the best bang for the buck... its so cheap and helps so much...
if you need to, wait to rebuild the top end so you can get some money somehow and get that head done... itll be worth the wait

Aceman
12-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I know someone on here has a 330 with a megamax, how does it run???

That would probably be me;) To tell you the truth, it had the megamax when I bought the quad stock. It seems to run fine to me, pulls hard even without a cam yet, but I've never had another pipe to compare it too. If I was starting out like you are, I would probably buy a WB E-series headpipe with an HMF slip on or a Curtis Sparks X-4 or X-6, I think one of those setups would be the ticket for a 330. I also think you would truly benefit from a port and polish at this time, the more I read about it the more I feel it's a necessary mod for a big bore kit. There is post from Mickey Dunlap in the Ask Mickey column about it. http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/askmickey1.html. If you don't have the money now you might want to wait a little bit until you can afford the port and polish so you can get it all at the same time. You should see if they will discount the porting since your buying a whole kit at the same time. I know I would.

400ex men
12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
if you keep the megamax do like i did and cut it off about to in's and get a lil more low end out of it:)

Mike[socal]
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
You might want to repack it as well. My 400 came with a MegaMax II as well and I just repacked it for the hell of it. The stock packing was severly lacking(it wasn't burnt just not a lot there). There was a good inch or two of space between the perforated tube and the packing. It looks like FMF put as little packing in as possible. To me it makes sense to have the packing as close to the flow tube as possible. That way the air doesn't seep into the perforations as much which would enhance flow.?

hondardr4life
12-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. But I think I have a new question, will an HMF slip-on work with the 330? I think I have found one and I would have to sell my FMF to get it. But after about a month I am going to buy a WB header. will it work good with the stock header with the slip on?

hondardr4life
12-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Anyone know if just the slip-on will work until I get the header?