PDA

View Full Version : Having shifting probelms with my 450r

HondaGuy52
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
About 1 week ago i was out riding on my 450r. Just an average fun day. Towards the end of the day I went to go stop for a break with my buddies and as i went to down shift it went in but then i rolled a few more feet to where i as about to stop and went to shift into netrual and there was nothing. I pumped the clutch and rocked the quad ..still nothing. I went to shift into second.. still nothing. So basically my quad is stuck in first gear. Anybody have anything happen like this or have any ideas what the probelm may be? The shifter shifts all the way up and all the way down with out even clicking or anything. Its perfectly smooth and just does not go into gear. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

400exrider707
12-14-2004, 01:11 AM
I had a problem similar to that on my modded banshee. I could still change gears though, but the shifter would drop all the way down by itself. It ended up being the bolt that sticks out that the return spring catches on inside the bottome end. I dont think thats whats happening with yours though, cause you cant change gears at all. I haven't heard anything about this at all, this is a first.

Flynbryan19
12-14-2004, 05:30 AM
Do you power shift? (shift w/o using the clutch?) ?

HondaGuy52
12-14-2004, 10:07 AM
I only shift with out the clutch when i'm racing. Never in practice. And when i do shift with out the clutch it is always up. I never shift down with out using the clutch and, when i do shift up without the clutch i always let off the gas for a split second so it doesnt slam into gear. When it happened i was riding pretty normal too. I was rolling to a stop..

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
are you sure that the shift lever is tight, cuz i had this prob on my lil sis's blaster a couple years ago, and that was the prob... no big deal as long as the slines arn't stripped out....

HondaGuy52
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
yeah its tight. No play in it at all. Some local pros have told me it may be a shift fork or some part of the springs inside the gear box..I'm guna take it apart soon and see what i can find and if i have no idea at all then i'll probally take it back to the dealership and see what they can find.

450Racer
12-14-2004, 05:23 PM
mine shifts ok, but it's almost impossible to get it in neutral with the engine running. as soon as i shut it off it goes in a little easier. i have to push it back about a foot if the engine is running. it's a pain in the but. i also miss shifts from 1st to second out of hairpins a lot too, it sucks.