PDA

View Full Version : timing help, race gas, pvl

deathmetal
12-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey guys. Just recently got myself a 250r, it has a pvl digital system in it. Are you familiar with this? Ok, well supposedly its supposed to be running race gas, however, i have no desire to do that, and would like to just run pump gas. Now, im "supposed" to retard the timing down to do that, but honestly, whats going to happen if i dont and just run regular gas? If i have to do it, how hard is it to do? Let me know! Thanks guys.

wilkin250r
12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't know about the PVL ignition, but if you don't adjust the settings, and just run pump gas anyways, you will damage your motor real quick due to detonation of the fuel. How quickly your motor destroys itself will depend on the severity of the detonation.

I refer you to the search button and numerous threads on octane and detonation in the Powertrain section if you are unfamiliar with the term.

beerock
12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
I am very familiar with it what would you like to do? would you like alot of top end or mid or bottom end(lol)

reason i laugh is the pvl is pretty much for mid to top power, the small aluminum flywheel has no bottom end, I went from a pvl to a stock R ignition with a ricky stator 200wattstator and lightened flywheel and oh man did i gain bottom end, of course i lost some top.

the pvl is great though, all the bigger motors i use to run down with my pvl because i was revving higher longer etc..

deathmetal
12-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah i just want to run it without putting race gas in it, thats about it!

beerock
12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
ok i read your post, your gonna have to get a dial bore gauge to set the timing.

I have advanced and retarded my timing without switching gas, it depends on how MUCH it is advanced/retarded you may be able to get away with it. YOU WILL HEAR DETONATION on a 2 stroke it will sound like a hammer hitting your cylinder.

deathman53
12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
I use a cr 250r ignition in my atc-r and little low end, but mid and top rips. You should be able to put in a atc head gasket or trx head gasket, yours probably has a cr gasket. That will reduce the compression dramatically. If it has a cool head, put in a different dome. the pvl igntion shouldn't have anything to do with requiring race gas, its the compresion that does.

beerock
12-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I use a cr 250r ignition in my atc-r and little low end, but mid and top rips. You should be able to put in a atc head gasket or trx head gasket, yours probably has a cr gasket. That will reduce the compression dramatically. If it has a cool head, put in a different dome. the pvl igntion shouldn't have anything to do with requiring race gas, its the compresion that does.

no, playing with the timing will and CAN require race gas, when you advance or retard a ignition you can do it mroe with a higher octane of gas because the motor runs cooler there for you can turn the timing more for the extra edge

but i think this guy doesnt care about that..

deathman53
12-14-2004, 09:06 PM
I use race gas, but the last time I rode it I didn't have race gas and used 94 pump, it ran different, it just seamed slower, I'm told the cr ignition is quite advanced. I'm not running a cr gasket or a cool head(now, but will be) I never thought about how gas can effect the power, You learn something new everyday. I thought it was the br9es plug that was why it ran different.

beerock
12-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I use race gas, but the last time I rode it I didn't have race gas and used 94 pump, it ran different, it just seamed slower, I'm told the cr ignition is quite advanced. I'm not running a cr gasket or a cool head(now, but will be) I never thought about how gas can effect the power, You learn something new everyday. I thought it was the br9es plug that was why it ran different.

no, it was the plug that made the bike run diff, actually the closer you run to detonation the MORE power you make. so with that said, obviously the timing makes a difference, so does the plug and SO DOES THE GAS. running the 9 actually made the bike burn less gas because the plug is colder then a 8.

now there is a misconception about "race gas" I laugh all the time about it. remember how i said the clsoer you are to detonation the mroe power you make? well, when you put race gas in and all the other factors are the same you are further away from detoantion which entails LESS power. its a common misconception that "race gas" gives you more power.

deathman53
12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
I was coming from a esr 330 kit, that had 220 psi, and before that I was using a cool head with a atc gasket and 18cc dome, which also warrants race gas. I am gonna put in a cr gasket and the coolhead, the compression should be up there. I know race gas doesn't make more power, I laugh at guys with 400ex's at the track, stock pipe, and such with jugs of vp. my crf450 quad, only had race gas run in it, so I don't know, its what the guy I bought it from used, also he had a aftermaket cdi box, oddly enough he uses race gas in his tx450r.

beerock
12-15-2004, 07:25 PM
well some people use race gas even if they dont have to because the lead in the gas has lubricity properties which make the engine last longer on top of running cooler, of course it needs to be jetted properly for race gas. thing is when you jet for race gas you will be way to lean for pump gas so you have to be careful.

deathmetal
12-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. The guy told me its advanced 7 degrees. He said that if i just put a regular trx head gasket on there, it will be fine to run pump gas. He said when he ran it, it only pinged a little bit when running 94 on hot days in the summer. Anyhow, let me know what you think but hopefully its ok to just drop the gasket down to stock and use pump gas. Getting race gas around here is a pain to find and i dont feel like spending 4-5 bucks a gallon on it. Im not racing, just riding!

beerock
12-24-2004, 02:42 AM
the digital pvl has its own advancing built into it, it is suppose to be set around .8mm to .10 BTDC I believe dont quote me though

heres a link to pvl site, learn more about the ignition

http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_pvl_ignitions.htm

and heres the specs (copy and paste link)

http://www.pro-flo.com/images/PVL%20Instructions%20(Back).JPG