PDA

View Full Version : cam stamps

EPDP99
12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
i am supposed to have a 450/451 cam for my bike, where on it is this stamped so i can confirm that this is true? is it possible to pull the valve cover off with the motor in or just easier to do it while its out.

Rico
12-14-2004, 06:31 AM
I can't say if it does have a stamp or not, but if you pulled the valve cover off you can see the cam, turn the flywheel as if you were adjusting the valves and the cam will rotate so you can see the entire cam for the stamp... If it has one..:confused:

You don't need the motor out to do this..

EPDP99
12-14-2004, 07:12 AM
if it has no stamps how would i find out whether it is the right cam? im having performance problems with mine and i need to find out to give the information to my builder to check if it is the correct one.

MIKE400EX
12-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Web vibro-etches most of the 400EX cams with the grind # (450/451) on the shank/barrel of the cam near one of the bearings. You should be able to read it if you take the valve cover off. They're not raised no's., they're scribed in.
PS...That's something your engine builder should be telling you.
Guess he didn't degree the cam either if he can't tell you for sure what's in it.:ermm:

EPDP99
12-14-2004, 11:20 AM
well it was built like 7 months ago and parts list says its the right cam, but he said with performance problems i describe they might have accidentally put the wrong cam in it. he said they are on the same shelf right next to each other and part numbers are like 1 number different. people make mistakes, so for now they are getting the benifit of the doubt.