PDA

View Full Version : Atk's????

MXRACER86
12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Has anybody here ridden one? How is the reliability on these quads? I am intrested in buying one but I don't want any reliabilty problems. I ride like four times a week. Any replies on this topic would be great!

SRH
12-13-2004, 05:40 PM
better than a cannondale but id still go for a yfz or 450r, just my advice, for the same price...

underpowered
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
senf a PM to jeff stoess, he races an ATK in GNCC series.

MXRACER86
12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
It's not the same price!!!!! For $9995 it comes ready to race! Go to www.atkusa.com and check out the specs on the 450MX

Tommy 17
12-13-2004, 05:58 PM
thats not really race ready... you still need to set up the suspension and change a few things to ur own likings...

SRH
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
It's not the same price!!!!! For $9995 it comes ready to race! Go to www.atkusa.com and check out the specs on the 450MX

you coul make a yfz into a nice xc quad with 3k

pipe, nerfs, skids, wheels, tires, bars etc

and for mx, you could get a nice lt front end, and a axle and some nerfs and maybe a slip on...

bradley300
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
the atk is more race ready than any stock trx or yfz could dream of. if you dont like the shocks, all they need is rebuilt, there way better than the yfz or trx shocks, and on the mx, they are long travel.other than that they are race ready. the come w/ good handlebars,nefs,a kill switch,rear beadlocks. and once the 450's are modded out, they will weigh more than a atk. the atk is also the fastest of the 450's, the yfz guys just dont like to admit it. as long as you keep up the maintenance, it will be reliable

MXRACER86
12-14-2004, 10:16 AM
What kind of maintnince does it need ? can you tell me im really intrested in buying one!

nosliw
12-14-2004, 10:56 AM
yea i was thinking about it too until i read in the options part that they had an automatic clutch...:ermm:

12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
yea i was thinking about it too until i read in the options part that they had an automatic clutch...:ermm:

I am lost why is that turning you away from it? because it has an option where you can add a $450.00 aftermarket part??????:confused:

nosliw
12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
"race ready" with an auto clutch? no dice

brings back days of my old yami moto4 :scary:

nosliw
12-14-2004, 11:01 AM
oh wait that's just an option you can have added on?

Rico
12-14-2004, 11:01 AM
www.quadshopatv.com

Email Jeff or call him, he'll have every answer you'll want..:cool:

Flynbryan19
12-14-2004, 11:02 AM
You dont have to get it with the auto clutch. Its just an option. They are awsome machines, but its just alot of coin to throw down for a still unproven machine..... Plus I've read on cannondale riders that they still require quite a bit more maintnance than other quads in its class. I think they're a great machine if your really on top of your mechanic game. I just don't want to have to put that much wrench time into my machine.

MXRACER86
12-14-2004, 11:13 AM
But what kind of maintnince do they need compared to say a YFZ450????

ranger400ex
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
racing=high maintenance...I don't give a $hit what you race. ATK's will hold their own over any other "race" quad.

oil changes, brakes, tires, shock rebuilds etc...will come with any quad that is raced. What is it worth to be on top?

BTW....I am kinda partial to the ATK's/ and former cannondales.

KFX21
12-14-2004, 11:24 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Amen
If you read and learn about them, they don't reqiire hardly any more maint. than any other quad. If you do the maint. when it's time they are a very reliable quad. They are not better than a C-Dale, they are the SAME quad, they have the reliability updates that C-Dale was trying to do before they went bankrupt. Stock they're faster than the Yammi's and Honda's. To many opinions
from people that go on 2nd hand info leads to bad reps for the Dales and ATK'S. I love my Dale, theres not a 450R or YFZ that i have rode that can compare to it!!!!!!! I've smoked almost e/thing
i've lined up against in WVa, and that includes Shane Hitt. So get
hands on info, so you can truly make up your mind!!!

represent618
12-14-2004, 11:31 AM
ATK MX450 = 2003 Cannondale Moto with all updates.
(basically)
They are expensive to own, ie; d&m kit alone is $305.00 and if you own a dale/atk you will need one, i dont have one yet and need to get one desperately, but things are tight around christmas while i`m trying to change jobs, so my dale is parked, i cant make it run enough to pull down the driveway, have no clue what is wrong? i wish i would have bought a jap bike. hands down when it runs, it is un-comparible, i swore i was cannondale for life until it broke the first time i took it out (3 weeks ago and it is still sitting driving me crazy).

my experience might be different than yours, but i will never own another cannondale or ATK, GUARANTEE THAT!!!!!

12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Plus I've read on cannondale riders that they still require quite a bit more maintnance than other quads in its class.

an ATK is still in a class by it's self. so you really can't compare it to ther quads.

MY450R
12-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
an ATK is still in a class by it's self. so you really can't compare it to ther quads.
except if your riding it nate then you could compare it to a 250ex thats standing still!

12-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
except if your riding it nate then you could compare it to a 250ex thats standing still!

all quads are in the same class when it comes to me. If I ride them they break!

MY450R
12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
did you crash into a fence recently bud?

Flynbryan19
12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer

Although that is a great response to up moral..... You still didn't answer that it did or did not require anymore maintnance. Even Haydug, and Wisetech some of the most known people on that site admit that it is not a quad for people that don't take EXCEPTIONAL care of they're machinery.

As far as info.... the other guys are right. I don't personally own one, but all I ever see on the cannondaleriders.com website is all the motor problems everone has. It seems to be never ending.

I'm not saying they're a "bad" machine. I just think there are alot of other machines out there that require less TLC. But, if you have the time, and right equipment I think they seem to be a GREAT machine. People can be brand loyal all they want, but it doesn't change the characteristics of the quad itself.

12-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't know how much maintanance one takes. I have never said anything about that. but i do know that a RACE quad of any kind requires a ton of work. HOURs a week. I am just saying there is nothing else right now you in the same class as a ATK

cdalejef
12-14-2004, 02:35 PM
The ATK's take no more maintenance than the CRF or the YFZ! You need to change oils and clean air filters after every race on any of the top 3 race quads. I just finished up my 3rd season on mine and I know people that have had 450R's and YFZ for less than a year that have had more problems than mine has.

A4StrokeGuy
12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
They are more maintence but its worth it!

cdalejef
12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
No BSing, all I do after every race is wash it, change the oil and filter, clean the air filter and check bearings, chain and sprockets. I rebuild the motor 1 once a year. I received my 04 race quad in October of 2003 and put its first piston kit in this october 2004. The piston and sleeve show little signs of wear and could have gone alot longer.
This is after a whole GNCC and Mid-south season not to mention all the local races, practice and trail riding.
Most of the GNCC pros go though 2-3 (and some even more) quads in 1 season. I've only needed 1.

SRH
12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
the thing i like about them is the aluminum frame, i was really hoping hondas quad would of had a twin spar aluminum frame and a dirtbike style rear linkage and a motor as powerful as my yfzs and cornering ability like it thats my dream quad, i like the ease of maintence and repairs on the japanese bikes than cananondales...

MXRACER86
12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Jeff at the Quad Shop says that they don't require any more maintnence then a TRX or YFZ!

Rastus
12-14-2004, 06:22 PM
My opinion is that some people try to give ATK/C-dales a bad rep. The maintenance is very similar to other quads.

It just comes down to opinion really.., and I know that if I had some money I'd probably look into getting a C-Dale.;)

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
How strong are the frames? Does anybody have any other opinions on this topic?

jesshamner
12-15-2004, 11:21 AM
The frames are super strong. I know of one that has broke.

KFX21
12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
The frames are super strong, they designed them for strength and rigitidy. Like Jeff said, anything you race requires alot of maintenence. I have'nt had any problems with my frame, motor, or tranny. I religously do my maintenence after every race, so far it's been as dependable as my old EX. Doug Flinner has been a tremendous help to all Dale/ATK owners. 95% of all the problems
with these, he and other Dale owners have come up with permanent fixes for their minor problems. My favorite thing about
mine is when i line up against 450r's and YFZ's at the line and then i make them feel like their tied to a post when i spank them to the 1st turn!:)

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
I haven't seen any frames break.

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
I really want one but I really don't want to have any major problems. I want to ride it not work on it.

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
You won't have any of the old problems if you get a new ATK.

TC426EX
12-15-2004, 12:57 PM
The major problem the old cannondales had was that the cranks were not balanced properly from the factory and that is what caused most of the major motor problems with them. The new ATK's have fixed this well known problem as well as the majority of the other problems so you should not have to worry about reliability one bit from the ATK. The ATK also comes with the motor map updates you had to get for the cannondales if Im not mistaken, maybe jeff could clear that up, but in any event the ATK should be one solid bike... Think of how good the old cannondales were, and take away the major problems and there you go....

jesshamner
12-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Motor map update?

KFX21
12-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I think he means motor mount update.

brandonpeake
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
whats the price on the Xc version?

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
I am goig to get one! But where can I buy one? Can I have it shipped to my house?

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I am goig to get one! But where can I buy one? Can I have it shipped to my house? Where do you live?

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
whats the price on the Xc version? The XC model runs $9495.
http://www.atkusa.com/newsite/Products.aspx

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 01:52 PM
I live in Florida.

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Can I get it shipped to florida??? Oh yea I am intrested in the 450MX version. How much extra does it cost to put zero-preload Elka's on it?

FourFiftyFour
12-15-2004, 02:08 PM
jeff@thequadshop does a really good job of reworking the shocks, in fact my cannondales shocks are at his shop right now getting the SSD conversion done to them.

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Can I get it shipped to florida??? Oh yea I am intrested in the 450MX version. How much extra does it cost to put zero-preload Elka's on it? Yes, we can ship it to FL. Which options would you want on the Elka's?

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 02:33 PM
How much more is it for the elka elite's? Front and Back? Can I get it with a stabilizer? Im looking to spend around $12,000 for everything. Do I get money off for the elkas because im not getting to standard Ohlins?

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
If you want the Elite LT with comp. and reb. adjust, it runs an additional $1795. The MX450's come with the Ohlins dampner.

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 02:55 PM
But can I get the stock Ohlins that come with it?

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
You can get the money off for the ohlins or keep them and pay full price for the Elka's.

MXRACER86
12-15-2004, 03:08 PM
COOL, One more question... How much does it cost to get it shipped to Florida? Oh by the way Jeff thanks for answering all my questions. Your confidence on these ATK'S is making me buy one!

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Generally around $400 by Foreward Air but I always try to find the cheapest shipper.

USAMoto00
12-15-2004, 04:03 PM
I would say to definetely go for it! I bought a Cannondale Moto in '02 and have done all the updates myself. I have run on the same motor for over 2 years now and it has NO failures. They are very reliable if you just do your homework on them and know what to watch for. I really like the fact too that I pull up to the line and everyone starts betting on how many laps I'll make. lol I always make sure to wait for them at the finish line to tell them of all the problems I had through the course of the race. And then just for fun start it up and say "man, it really sounds like marbles are in there. Doesn't it?" lol

KFX21
12-16-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by USAMoto00
I would say to definetely go for it! I bought a Cannondale Moto in '02 and have done all the updates myself. I have run on the same motor for over 2 years now and it has NO failures. They are very reliable if you just do your homework on them and know what to watch for. I really like the fact too that I pull up to the line and everyone starts betting on how many laps I'll make. lol I always make sure to wait for them at the finish line to tell them of all the problems I had through the course of the race. And then just for fun start it up and say "man, it really sounds like marbles are in there. Doesn't it?" lol

Hell yea!!!!!!!!!!

derekhonda
12-16-2004, 04:18 AM
I had a cannondale, was by far one of the funnest fourwheelers to ride, but mine wasnt mapped right and was a ****** to change plugs. Ohwell, would have been an easy fix if i had kept it.

I say go for it

MXRACER86
12-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Jeff are the 450MX a-arm's cromoly? And are they Long Travel?
Can I get the QUADRUPLE rate springs?

cdalejef
12-16-2004, 09:15 AM
They are long travel but I'm not sure what they are made of. You can get quadrate if you choose the Elka option.

MXRACER86
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
How are the stock tie-rods? Are they heavy duty?

cdalejef
12-16-2004, 09:33 AM
They are the strongest I've seen on any quad OEM or aftermarket. I've never bent one!

MXRACER86
12-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey Jeff do you know there is a small article about you and ATK in the new "ATV SPORT MAGIZINE"!

cdalejef
12-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Ya, I saw that thanks for noticing.

YamaWarr0121
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I've got two race ready YFZ's now and i still miss my dale, that machine was pure adrenaline, just needed teh sponsorship with chassis companies so had to go with the yamaha..

go with the ATK you'll be very happy, i know i was when i had mine!

jcv400ex
12-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Like everyone said, the maintence isn't any different than the TRX or the YFZ. They're GREAT quads. Nothing runs like a Dale when she's running.

I would also recommend the Cal software. You need to adjust the settings after break-in, and sometimes the computer just decides to take a crap on ya. Great $300 to spend.

One thing to remember. THis is the reason for 90% of the bad rap on Cannondales. When they do break, it's expensive. Piston kits, crank, injectors, valves, cams, etc. Some of the parts are now "one of" parts that require alot of machining. So you'll pay more. And the turn around time in Florida is going to be longer for you. You're going to be doing alot of maintence yourself. If something goes wrong, tear the motor out, and ship it out. Added shipping cost, additional wait time. Just consider this.

And if you do decide on the ATK, you just gained a thousand great friends. Cannondaleriders.com guys will troubleshoot and recommend for you until wee hours of the morning. They're like the Marines, they don't leave anyone behind! No one rests until everyone's cannondale/atk is running good or the problem is figured out.

MXRACER86
12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I think im having doubts about buying one now because I already hearing people talking about when they got theres it doesn't start or the clutch blew three times and then there motor locked up! And now the have to buy a $400 dollar D&M kit.:( I really like them but I can't have that stuff happen to. I got $12,000 to spend, I have to make the right choice on what quad I want. It is either a YFZ with Gibson parts or TRX450 with Houser Parts or a ATK with elkas. Jeff are you sure I am not gonna have any of these problems??????????

cdalejef
12-17-2004, 12:58 PM
The problems your hearing are from people that had Cannondales not ATK's. ATK fixed all the issues with the ATK's. You don't have to have the D&M kit, its just nice to have to be able to keep track of your settings.

beak7707
12-17-2004, 01:35 PM
I would listen to everything Jeff has to say about these things. He's been with them a long time, and he also races them. I assume you are going to be MXing it if you get it. In my own opinion I would think a YFZ would be a better MX quad. Everything I have ever read about them, is they were built for MX. And for 12k you could build one hell of a mx yfz. Where with the ATK they come with suspension and everything but I myself wouldnt want ohilins shocks that werent setup for me. If you buy the YFZ you can buy whatever brand of shock you want and they will be set just for you. If you are serious about getting one I would ask Jeff any question you have. I think they are a good quads and they run great. From what I've heard and read all the problems where fixed. I think you would be money ahead however to just buy a YFZ.

MXRACER86
12-17-2004, 07:51 PM
What kind of tires come on the 450MX?

cdalejef
12-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Holeshots

USAMoto00
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Where are you located mxracer?

bradley300
12-19-2004, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by beak7707
I would listen to everything Jeff has to say about these things. He's been with them a long time, and he also races them. I assume you are going to be MXing it if you get it. In my own opinion I would think a YFZ would be a better MX quad. Everything I have ever read about them, is they were built for MX. And for 12k you could build one hell of a mx yfz. Where with the ATK they come with suspension and everything but I myself wouldnt want ohilins shocks that werent setup for me. If you buy the YFZ you can buy whatever brand of shock you want and they will be set just for you. If you are serious about getting one I would ask Jeff any question you have. I think they are a good quads and they run great. From what I've heard and read all the problems where fixed. I think you would be money ahead however to just buy a YFZ. [/QUOTE

i dissagree abot the shocks, i would rather deal with a stock set of ohlins for a while then buy 2500 woth of shocks and a-arms for a yfz. when the ohlins need rebuilt, you could send thm to derisi or pro action and they would work just as wel as any set of elka or axis shocks out there.

SRH
12-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by beak7707
I would listen to everything Jeff has to say about these things. He's been with them a long time, and he also races them. I assume you are going to be MXing it if you get it. In my own opinion I would think a YFZ would be a better MX quad. Everything I have ever read about them, is they were built for MX. And for 12k you could build one hell of a mx yfz. Where with the ATK they come with suspension and everything but I myself wouldnt want ohilins shocks that werent setup for me. If you buy the YFZ you can buy whatever brand of shock you want and they will be set just for you. If you are serious about getting one I would ask Jeff any question you have. I think they are a good quads and they run great. From what I've heard and read all the problems where fixed. I think you would be money ahead however to just buy a YFZ.

i kinda agree, i mean if atk wanted to sponsor me and i was running a yfz id leave my yfz in the garage and ride one of them but when your financing everything yourself i think the smarter way to go is the yfz, there are so many resources for parts , cheaper and faster and easier to find, easier to work on etc and you can put some good suspension on a yfz and still not be close to the atk price, and y eah you can get ohlins revalved but paying 10000 for a quad then still putting money into it? ad that 500 bucks on, thats 10500 ...