PDA

View Full Version : 400EX front alignment question

chevy71
12-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Was riding the EX (stock) yesterday taking some small jumps when I came down funny once. I then noticed that I had to turn the handle bars slightly to the right to track straight. When I got home, I noticed the front right tire was leaning in when looking from top to bottom in front of the tire and toed in a little more more than the left.

My question is could this be a busted ball joint, bent tie rod, or bent a-arm? I don't think I came down hard to screw up the
a-arm; it's only a small 2.5 foot jump. I don't know what to replace first.

Thanks for any advise,

James

yoshz400rider
12-14-2004, 04:02 PM
was this the first time you noticed this
First measure the distance between the front two tires then the distance between the back two try to get them close to the same by adjusting your tie rods then go out and ride it if it still feels funny i would say ur a arm is bent becuz u should be able to tell if its a ball join becuz ur a arm will fall off or wont work properly.

balls2da-wall
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Look at the a-arms where they connect to the ball joints...I did the same thing off a small jump and bent my upper a-arm near the ball joint...not cheap to replace either...80$ per arm

chevy71
12-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. This was the first time I really looked at it because right after I did the jump, I noticed that it did not track straight on a smooth road and pulled to one side when I let go of the handle bars.

I cant tell if the a-arm is bent or not. If it is I just cant tell. It seems like the small angles all belong there. I almost think the darn ball joint bolt bent.

I'll probably just replace the a arms. Need to check with local dealer for prices of stockers. Rocky Mountain has Armadillo
a-arms for $439. Yikes!!

Hopefully stockers will be closer to $80 like balls said..

Again thanks for the info... I'm assuming the ball joints are not replaceable on stock a-arms.

James

balls2da-wall
12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
thats correct...you need to get some lonestar a-arms then if you bend a ball joint you can replace it for 30$...i bend a few during the race season.