View Full Version : what wheel and tire combo for mx?

bbrad mulvey
12-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Im just looking to find out what wheels size and tire size is best for mx? ANd wheels that are better than others? right now I have hoosier/itp pro for tt/ft and its great but summer is soon to come and I need to get ready for that season.
thanks
brad

Thump_It
12-13-2004, 12:02 AM
18 inch tires for the rear are best. ITP MXR4's, Kenda Knarly MX and Klaws are all good rear tires. For fronts you could go either 19's or 20in tires. 20 inchers will soak up bumps a littler better though. As for wheels, beadlocks for the rear, beadlocks are not needed for the front though, but that is preference. There are tons of good beadlocks out there, Hipers are prolly the best but are spendy. I'm goin with 8in Burgard beadlocks for the rear and 10in Douglas red labels for the front. Hope this helps a little.

kicker696
12-13-2004, 07:43 AM
hyper beadlocks suck in my personal opinion, a couple buddies of mine have all had them and have cracked the carbon fiber, with metal beadlocks they will just dent if anyting, but with an inside ring, you are not going to dent them to easily.

400exrider707
12-13-2004, 07:56 AM
I've never seen a hyper crack. The outer ring will eventually chip a little bit after riding for a while, but you can purchase new rings pretty cheaply. Hypers are the best you can buy hands down.........

cdalejef
12-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by kicker696
hyper beadlocks suck in my personal opinion, a couple buddies of mine have all had them and have cracked the carbon fiber, with metal beadlocks they will just dent if anyting, but with an inside ring, you are not going to dent them to easily. I find this very hard to believe, how about some pics!

brandonpeake
12-13-2004, 08:38 AM
i have saw alot of bent alum beadlocks with inner rings never seen any bent up or cracked hipers

kicker696
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
talk to janssen racing thats who i was told by, for cross country i could see that the carbon fibers would be fine, but for big jumps is where the carbons are bad, atleast thats what i was told

cdalejef
12-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Don't believe anything you don't see with your own eyes. XC is much harder on wheels than MX, we hit alot more solid objects like rocks and trees than the MX guys. If they where going to break, I would have already broke one.

Pappy
12-13-2004, 09:39 AM
id have to say for the most in durability the hipers are un matched. ive never seen one broken...but like anything im sure they can be trashed given the right set of circumstances.

for the average rider aluminum beadlocks are way more then strong enough

JH Racing
12-13-2004, 10:12 AM
I have been using hipers for MX for quiet a while and I have not had any problems. The only thing I have done is I broke a 9 inch inner ring because I had a tire go flat and I finished the moto. I installed a new ring and no problems since.

400exrider707
12-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I'd really like to see a pic of a broken hiper....... I recall when they first came out and they had a pro-rider testing them(dont recall who it was) and he bent axles, snapped his high dollar racing shocks and everything else in between but could NOT bust a hiper

bbrad mulvey
12-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Not to barge into my thread but Ive seen that the new ITP mxr4 are available in a 19, I was thinking that, and go with a 9 inch wheel. is that a good choice? now what is the best front tire to go with. Itp has a lot of choices to choose from with there fronts. Main thing I dont want to for the tires to be TOO soft

TC426EX
12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Bottom line no matter if you go with carbon fiber rims or aluminum, you definitely want to run the following:

tires:
20x6x10 fronts
18x10/11/9.5x8

Rims:
10x5 front rims
8x8 rear rims

StuntMentD4
12-14-2004, 02:00 PM
im gettin rdy to spend almost 1000 dallors on hipers n i want to do it right for mx and freestyle...so 10 or 11 inches wide?

cdalejef
12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by StuntMentD4
im gettin rdy to spend almost 1000 dallors on hipers n i want to do it right for mx and freestyle...so 10 or 11 inches wide? $1000 :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: You better call around for some better pricing!!! You will want either the 8x8 or 9x9.

StuntMentD4
12-14-2004, 04:05 PM
well its 912 exact from net pricing but my parts dealer will proly give them to me for around 800....wats ur pice on 8x8 integrated hub x2 mounted with 18/11/8 kenda klaws and the 9 inche hipers n front mounted with 20" klaws?

cdalejef
12-14-2004, 04:35 PM
You can only get fronts in 10"

StuntMentD4
12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
thanx.. see i didnt no that n now i do:)

well im gunna give the tread back sry for steelen it

bbrad mulvey
12-14-2004, 10:43 PM
no worries we arew all here to help and your topic is close enough to mine where its not like your hurting anything:D
so no matter what 8x8 huh. why dont they run 10 inch diameter wheels in moto? Are beadlocks THAT important or the ITP bajas going to be ok for stregth? Its just hard to justify spending that much on just wheels I think...

alberndt
12-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by kicker696
talk to janssen racing thats who i was told by, for cross country i could see that the carbon fibers would be fine, but for big jumps is where the carbons are bad, atleast thats what i was told

DONT GET ME STARTED WITH JANSSEN RACING.:macho

cdalejef
12-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey
no worries we arew all here to help and your topic is close enough to mine where its not like your hurting anything:D
so no matter what 8x8 huh. why dont they run 10 inch diameter wheels in moto? Are beadlocks THAT important or the ITP bajas going to be ok for stregth? Its just hard to justify spending that much on just wheels I think... 10" wheels don't have enough side wall flex to run in anything but flat track. The baja wheels will still bend fairly easy and the pack full of mud and rocks.

TC426EX
12-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey
so no matter what 8x8 huh. why dont they run 10 inch diameter wheels in moto? Are beadlocks THAT important or the ITP bajas going to be ok for stregth? Its just hard to justify spending that much on just wheels I think...

10 inch rear rims are not that common in moto because they are not that durable and they offer a much harsher ride. WHen you are constantly taking big impacts from MX, there is not much sidewall to help absorb bumps and impacts, meaning you will not only have a harsher ride, but will be more likely to bend your new rims you just spent money on in a hurry. Now the one advantage that the 10 inch rims have over 8's is that they are slightly better in the corners due to less sidewall flex, but its not a noticeable difference whatsoever. I really reccomend the 8x8 and I think youll find that it was the right decision if you get them. I also reccomend beadlocks in the rear because will all the high speed sliding and turning at the mx track it keeps rocks and things from getting inside your tire when they are peeled around turns, and keeps the tire securely in place. There would be nothing wrong with getting the ITP baja rims for strength, but I think a beadlock would benefit you more for MX. Lastly, as far as justifying spending the money, think about it.... Rims are one thing that are interchangeable for almost any bike you get in the future. The other honda's, suzuki's, cannondales, etc. all use the same bolt pattern (except the yamaha). For this reason, it turns out oftentimes that this is an investment you wont have to make twice if you get a new bike...

bbrad mulvey
12-16-2004, 12:09 AM
well I guess you guys are right about interchangability. I would have loved to get those hypers and kendas from you Jeff But somebody by name of pappy is a site whore and hopped on that deal like an ethiopian with a free lunch ticket!:cuss:

oh well

pa_countryboy
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
what front mx tires are good for muddy race right now I have holeshot mx fronts and the rock when its dry but if it gets muddy the suck anyone know of a better tire for a muddy mx race