PDA

View Full Version : rattling noise?..

450R_lover
12-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I just had my hotcams stage II installed at the dealer... i got it and fixed the jetting and it was running really good. I did notice that the engine would tick a little louder than before.. but i just figured it was the bigger cam. I rode it for maybe 3 or 4 hours at the most and then i was going down the road, not running it hard, and the tick turned into a bad sounding rattle noise on the right side of the engine. i thought that maybe the dealer didnt put red locktite on one of the bolts and it came loose.. but i opened the valve cover and got it on the compression stroke and no bolts seem to be loose. Could it be that the valves need re-adjusted again, cause ive heard that after the cam has been broken in they need re-adjusted??? Would the valves cause this rattling noise? It also seemed like it wouldnt go if i gave it more than 1/4 throttle.... even though i never did after it started rattling. Please help. thanks alot

Xowner
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
how about heat sheild bolts or the kicker bolts

450R_lover
12-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I dont have a heat shield and its not the kick starter bolt cause whatever it is.. . is in the engine... thanks for the suggestions

Anyone else have any???

Jersey450R
12-13-2004, 06:14 AM
If the click gets progessivly faster and possibly louder with more rpm's, than its definitly the valves.

450R_lover
12-14-2004, 04:06 PM
i was thinking... could they have maybe forgot to put the new shims on the valves?? i dont know what this really does but could it cause this rattling noise?

And i took the valve cover off to see if anything was loose or if the exhaust vavles were off and everything seems fine.
thanks

WhiteZee
12-14-2004, 04:16 PM
you should have taken it back the the dealer the second you started having problems, you shouldnt have to fix what they messed up.

450R_lover
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Im going to take it to them this weekend probably... but now i wish i would have taken it somewhere else if they cant get it right the first time... thats an expensive engine!!
thanks

450R_lover
12-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Alright... i just checked my tanny oil... thinking it might be that and it was low. I have no idea how it could get low but when i took the screw out of the sight hole nothing came out. I had to add quite a bit to get it to come out of the hole. Could this be why its rattling? like could the clutch plates be rattling now because of this? Should i ride it around a little and go through all the gears and stuff to see if after it warms up ... it goes away? Please help!! Any suggestions appreciated.
I hope its not the tanny

roughrider01
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
My guess would be the valves may need to be adjusted?

Just curious, what octane fuel u running?

If i was you i would just call up your dealer, tell them what its doing.. then set up an appointment. Wont take them that long to adjust the valves if thats whats making the noise.

450R_lover
12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Well... now i am pretty sure its in the tranny... something with the crank or something... its rattling... my oil was low, i dont have any idea how it got low but it did. Does anyone know what this could have done running it with low tranny oil?? please help me out

joedirt
12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Did they drain the oil? Maybe a tech drained the tranny oil and forgot to fill it back up. Take it back to them and tell them whats up with it. Make sure you don't have to pay for it. At the dealer they might start it up for a min. or two. Call them