PDA

View Full Version : raptor vs. predator

raptorrider686
12-12-2004, 05:22 PM
They say that in the shoot between the raptor and predator,that the predator was better. Only becuase the raptor was more expensive,and that the predator had more top end then the raptor. Im a big raptor fan and all's I want are some peoples opinion on this.

steveatv3
12-12-2004, 05:26 PM
predator eats the raptor:devil: , in every aspect, handling, and durability, you can beat the hell out of it and wont have any problems.

dopeyferree
12-12-2004, 05:53 PM
read a little further, they said the predator in stock form is better but if you invest $500 ( which we all do, no one keeps a stock machine) the raptor is a better machine. Basically ditch the stock exhaust and tires that all that holds the raptor back.

YFZ450Ridr
12-12-2004, 05:57 PM
in the dirtwheels shoot out that was the troy lee edition pred. it had fox shocks and a few other things i think. if the raptor lost a few pounds and was lower i dont think you could beat it.

bman9
12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
read a little further, they said the predator in stock form is better but if you invest $500 ( which we all do, no one keeps a stock machine) the raptor is a better machine. Basically ditch the stock exhaust and tires that all that holds the raptor back.

wana race...thats about how much more i got in mine? craptor is tippy too..but i can give any raptor one good thing...its faster than me......IN REVERSE

12-12-2004, 09:32 PM
stay away from a raptor...theres not one thing special about it...its a turd

Flynbryan19
12-13-2004, 05:51 AM
I sold my Raptor to get a Pred....... No contest, the Pred is a better machine in all catagorys other than bottom-end torque. Anyone who says a Raptor handles better than a Pred has obviously never ridden one....:rolleyes:

Jersey450R
12-13-2004, 06:23 AM
well, not to burst anyones bubble, but yesterday i went riding with my 450R, 2 buddies on 450R's, and a raptor. the dude on the raptor races gncc's and the only motor mod he has is a yoshi system, filter and jetted. he beat my 450R and almost beat on of my buddies with a 450R with the HRC cam, a rekluse auto, and freshly jetted. neck and neck all day in the drags. dont doubt the raptor, they might be a little out dated already but they do move. they are great XC bikes if you ask me. As for the predator, i dont see how anyone can be comfortable on that quad. its only my opinion, but when i sit on it, it just doesent seem right.

bman9
12-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
well, not to burst anyones bubble, but yesterday i went riding with my 450R, 2 buddies on 450R's, and a raptor. the dude on the raptor races gncc's and the only motor mod he has is a yoshi system, filter and jetted. he beat my 450R and almost beat on of my buddies with a 450R with the HRC cam, a rekluse auto, and freshly jetted. neck and neck all day in the drags. dont doubt the raptor, they might be a little out dated already but they do move. they are great XC bikes if you ask me. As for the predator, i dont see how anyone can be comfortable on that quad. its only my opinion, but when i sit on it, it just doesent seem right.

i feel the same way when i sit on a yfz, but wat do u know? it feels fine

Flynbryan19
12-13-2004, 07:13 AM
The problems with a Raptor is its too tall and tipsy in corners, and the ground clearance in at the rear axle carrier is TERRIBLE. If you want a chance at not getting hung up in the same things that other quads blast right through you have to run 22" rears. :( If you widened out a raptor to 45"-47" like all the other xc machines it may not be as bad in handling, but your always gonna have a top-heavy, low ground clearance machine.

Granted the Predator has its down falls(obviously, or there would be more pros on them), it heavier than most, and the front brakes are known to drag slightly. But they seem to have no where near the mechanical difficulties the raptor does, and ground clearance is GREAT on the predator. :) I know my pred is not the greatest quad ever created, but I do know from my own personal experience(and not something some idiotic/yamaha biased magazine told me), that it is a MAJOR improvment over the raptor that I had prior.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, just like when people ask which 450 is better.:blah:

Jake250ex
12-13-2004, 10:41 AM
The problems with a Raptor is its too tall and tipsy in corners

:D you said "tipsy"

dopeyferree
12-13-2004, 10:47 AM
A good set of shocks that lower the raptor a little and a set of 3+2 offset front wheels which widen the raptor to 45.5 solves the raptor issues with tipsy. I race my raptor in XC races and love it. With a little work I think the raptor is a great machine.

Flynbryan19
12-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
:D you said "tipsy"

LOL.....yes I did didn't I:confused:

Flynbryan19
12-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
A good set of shocks that lower the raptor a little and a set of 3+2 offset front wheels which widen the raptor to 45.5 solves the raptor issues with tipsy. I race my raptor in XC races and love it. With a little work I think the raptor is a great machine.

true, but you still have a taller center of gravity than the Pred, and you still haven't solved the low ground clearance..... Like I said, its a never ending tennis match. You can go back and forth on this, but the solution to it all is this; Does it feel good/right to you? Yes? Then you picked the right quad for *you*. ;)