PDA

View Full Version : Air vents on 400EX...

bpimpdaddy21
04-21-2002, 08:50 PM
I was wondering about the push in air vents that I have heard about on the forums. What are they? Who makes them and where can I get them? I ride in kinda muddy conditions, my quad gets real dirty when I ride, and I was wondering if these are ok for muddy conditions, or if you guys know of anything that I can help to increase my airflow, but not allow mud to get in. Any help is appreciated.

honda_400ex19
04-21-2002, 08:57 PM
When the boys are talking about Air Vents they meen drilling 1" holes in the air box in designated areas, usually towards the back of the box to make a whirlpool effect inside which is like "Ram Air"

goto your local hardware and put a piece of screen from a door over the holes and hot glue it around the edge on the 3 edges and check periodically.

Also get rid of your airbox lid and leave it at home and put a airbox filter screen over it which can be ordered from your local dealer......

RideRed04
04-21-2002, 10:29 PM
No, there are actual vents you can buy. Uni filter makes them. You can get them from dennis kirk or your local dealer. I wouldnt suggest them, you can get by with other mods first. Get a uni filter or K&n and rejet your carb and you will be just fine.

Atomic83
04-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Got mine from Rocky Mountain, they are usualy much cheaper than Dennis Kirk.

Braff1
04-22-2002, 03:42 AM
After I first drilled my air box I used the push in filters. After riding in dusty/muddy conditions the foam would stop up and be off no use. I eventually went to honda_400ex19 style of air box vent cover. They keep out the majority of the debris out of the air box withoug getting plugged up. The only prob. is beware of deep wate crossings.