PDA

View Full Version : Motor Work Questions.

flyingbyfast400
12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Alright Guys.. I'm having a litttle problem getting my Head Cover off.. In the Honda Service Manual Its says to loosen the twevel 6 mm bolts, 8 mm bolt. Which I have done I do belive. Then when I go to pull the cover off. It wont move at all. But there is still one bolt left in the cover. It's the one right under the top motor mount. I belive its a 12 mm or sumthing like that. Does this need to be removed to get the head off. Or is there sumthing eles holding me up from getting this thing off. I have played with that 12 mm bolt a lil bit but I havnt had any luck at breaking it lose and I dont wanna try to hard and break sumthing if this is not the probelm. Besides that question. Whats the easyest way for me to find top dead center on my piston? Just look in the spark plug hole and see once it hits top dead center or what? Then along with my swinger bolt that everyone has problems with, hows everyone been getting theres out. All I've done on my buddies bikes when I have to pull the motor for them is I get a Big Hammer and beat them out, along with a lil luck. But I've been doing this one mine and had no luck. Ive tryed all the lube and onther such things also but still no luck. If anyone can help me out it would be great.
This is my 1st motor build that I'm doing so plzs bare with me. If I have any more questions as I build I'll be posting in this thread. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks Guys
Victor

flyingbyfast400
12-12-2004, 09:00 AM
just a up date guys. Ive got the head cover off and going to town now... :macho It was the 12mm bolt the was keep everything in tach. But still any tips on the TDC. I belive thats where I have it now. Seems has if all the marks are lined up but not for shure. Any ways of me knowing for shure. I belive all my cam lobes are facing up, so they are not touching anything at all right now. If that helps anyone out. That means its TDC right? Thanks guys I'll keep everyone posted, and I'm shure Ill have more questions.
Vic

mojoe2878
12-12-2004, 09:05 AM
you need to remove every bolt that you see that is attached to the head cover, including the top motor mount bolt. once all the bolts are out the cover should come off easy.
on getting it to TDC you need to remove the plugs from the flywheel side cover of the engine, one plug on the side and one on top, take a 18mm socket and put it in the side hole on the flywheel bolt and turn motor over counter clockwise while you look through the top hole until you see the T mark on the flywheel and line it up with the little mark thats on the cover, you will see what im talking about when you remove the plugs.
as far as the swing arm bolt, i always take a hammer and a piece of pipe that is just a little smaller than the bolt and beat it out untill its far enough out to remove the motor. you may need to remove all the other motor mounts first and jiggle the enginge some and the try to knock it out again and see if its any easier.

mojoe2878
12-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by flyingbyfast400
just a up date guys. Ive got the head cover off and going to town now... :macho It was the 12mm bolt the was keep everything in tach. But still any tips on the TDC. I belive thats where I have it now. Seems has if all the marks are lined up but not for shure. Any ways of me knowing for shure. I belive all my cam lobes are facing up, so they are not touching anything at all right now. If that helps anyone out. That means its TDC right? Thanks guys I'll keep everyone posted, and I'm shure Ill have more questions.
Vic
if the lobes are facing up then its on TDC on the exhaust stroke.
you want to turn the motor over one complete turn and line the marks back up and the lobes should be facing down, this is TDC on compression stroke, which is where it needs to be when intalling the cam and setting the timing.

flyingbyfast400
12-12-2004, 10:14 AM
mojoe2878 Thanks for the pointers.. As of right now I'm just about to pull the head off it, and it seems to be going along pretty good right now. :D Just a question for everyone out there about cams. I have a HRC right now and like it.. But how does everyone like there TC MX Cams. It's going to be a 440, then once I get a crank Its going to be stroked to a 465. This will be a mx set up. I would just like to see what seems to work for everyone on the track, and also onther qucik question about Over sized Vavles. What do you gain from it, and is it wroth it? Why do sum people I belive just go with over sized on say exhaust side and not intake side. or just the onther way around? Thanks
Vic

NacsMXer
12-12-2004, 12:22 PM
If you already have the HRC, then just leave it at that for MX. I absolutely love mine compared to my old Webcam; the power spread is much more even and useable. As far as oversized valves go, I have them as well and I feel that every little bit counts. Remember, most people do the intake valves only, so +1mm intake valves means more air can enter your motor each stroke. They also compliment the full race port job nicely. Most of the time you don't really need the oversized exhaust valves because a good racing exhaust usually handles the exhaust chores well enough. It looks like you're on the right track to power. :cool:

flyingbyfast400
12-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks Nacs MXer. I think Ill just stick with the HRC cam. I also think Im going to end up going with the over side vavles on the intake side, and leave stock sized on the exhaust side. I got it all apart today. With out to many problems but for the head bolt, and also the jug being stuck to the bottom end. I had to beat it off with a rubber hammer pretty good. But once the old gasket broke lose it pulled right off. I cant say I've seen a gasket do that befor. But I mostly work on snowmobiles, and also semi trucks. so who knows. I know this question has been beat to death by many people. But just to double check. Its the CRF 450 Dirt bike timing chain that fits on the 400exs, and not the trx 450 R timing chain correct? As long as its tore down what all does everyone think Should be replace? I have looked about everything over for the most part and it dont look all to bad. But just to be safe I'm tossing in the 450f timing chain, and whatever eles you guys think should be replaced. What do alot of you guys run for MX gearing on the built 440's? What is the number for FDO? I'm needing a heavy duty head stud kit. I'm told they sell them right? and also the number for FST so I can get one of his super duper Oil Coolers..? :macho
Thanks
Vic