PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle vs twist throttle?

dwidget
12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Which one is better to use? The thumb throttle or the twist throttle? And which one do any of you recommend? I just got a twist throttle for my b-day, and I don't know if it would be better or not. I'm trying to get everybody's opinion on it before I change the throttles and end up not liking it

FasstMidnightZ
12-12-2004, 01:10 AM
i would say thumb but thats just me

sam the brave
12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
i have a thumb on my 400ex and i like it
but my friend has a race z440 with a twist throtal i liked it but it took some getting used to

khen
12-12-2004, 07:27 AM
A lot depends on the type of riding you do. In the open fields, dunes and larger supercross style tracks I liked my twist, but in the smaller tighter Arenacross track I like the thumb. When you land a jump slightly out of control you tend to give it throttle with the twist where as you tend to let off the throttle with the thumb. It's only a split second before you gain control again, but on a tight technical track it may be to late and you'll be over a berm or into the next jump/whoops not fully in control.

After 1 1/2 years with the twist I went back to the thumb recently because of this. I feel safer with the thumb but the twist still feels more natural to me.

TC426EX
12-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Thumb is alot safer and better than twist, at least to me... The ONLY time I would even consider using a twist would be in the dunes...

250xridamatt
12-12-2004, 11:22 AM
You have it with you already. Just put it on and try it out. If you don't like it take it off and put the old one back on. Experiment

nosliw
12-12-2004, 11:28 AM
i tried twist throttle on my friends banshee and i dont like it. i was going over these whoops in an indoor track and everytime i would want to lean back i would hit the gas.

YFZ450Ridr
12-12-2004, 03:11 PM
i got a motion pro twist on my 250 and i love it. i feel more in control of my quad cookin along a rocky trail because my hole hand is grabbing the bar where as on a thumb, part of your hand is off the bar. i hate people that say twists are dangerous and stupid and its impossible to ride with one, look on dirtbikes, they come stock with twists. if you cant ride a quad you shouldnt be on one period. i guess its personal prefernce and the type of riding you ,do but i prefer my twist.

drthrottle
12-12-2004, 05:27 PM
What have you been riding until now? If you're used to the thumb already, stick w/it. If you're just learning, the fellow w/the riding style suggestion is right on. With a twisty you must have good body position ALL the time because you're only holding on w/one hand(you learn to squeeze w/legs and body position). The thumb throttle is safer in most cases. I grew up on dirtbikes and streetbikes so I rock the twist throttle and forget about the cramps in the right hand.

dwidget
12-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Most of the time right now I just go out to dunes and desert in the San Diego/Imperial counties 'cause I don't know of any tracks here that allow quads. But I'm considering getting into the racing within the next season or two. Any other suggestions and/or comments?

hondarider2006
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I have a thumb on my 426, but raced a couple of mx races on a yfz that had a twist. If your not used to it, your gonna get hardcore arm pump. it wasn't un-natural for me, just caused way more arm pump. Thumb is meant for a quad, not twist IMO.

wilkin250r
12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
I learned on a thumb throttle, but my 250r had a twist throttle when I bought it. It scared me, I never really felt in control, so I switched my 250r to a thumb throttle, and was much more comfortable.

Meanwhile, a very good friend of mine grew up on dirtbikes, and vehemently refuses to own anything with a thumb throttle. He does not feel comfortable with them, and believe them to be much less safe than twist throttles.

I really think it just boils down to personal preference.

frozenh2o
12-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Twists are great, but I'm from a dirt bike background so I'm used to it. I took my new Z400 out a couple of weeks ago and really had trouble with the thumb throttle. Couldn't get comfortable. I've never had trouble controlling the twist, and like someone else mentioned, look at the mx bikes, no thumbs out there!

If you go to a twist, like Motion Pro, they have several different ratios available. The fastest, the Vortex, might be too fast for some riders, not enough control. I ordered the Turbo which requires more twist to get the same throttle opening. That's what I have on my 300ex. The 300 could actually use the faster Vortex because the power comes on slow and smooth, but I think the Z400 will be better with the Turbo.

267ex
12-15-2004, 04:13 PM
i have a twist on my quad and I love it, it does take a while to get use to and get comfortable again, i just started jumping again and Ive had my twist for about 3-4 months. ui mostly ride dunes , small tracks, and trails, whoopps are kinda scary the first couple of times but you soon put it in the back of your head that your riding a twist. A twist throttle is going to be the very firts mod on my next quad. I have a motion pro too, the cr pro, its a 1/4 turn throttle.

Also, less ppl ask to ride your bike after they see the twist :)
:macho

JMO: put it on and give it a chance but take it slow.

theTman
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
i rode a warrior with a twits a few weeks ago...it was a pain at 1st but i got used to it

i also grew up on a bike so im used to it but i like thumb better

JR3
12-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
i got a motion pro twist on my 250 and i love it. i feel more in control of my quad cookin along a rocky trail because my hole hand is grabbing the bar where as on a thumb, part of your hand is off the bar. i hate people that say twists are dangerous and stupid and its impossible to ride with one, look on dirtbikes, they come stock with twists. if you cant ride a quad you shouldnt be on one period. i guess its personal prefernce and the type of riding you ,do but i prefer my twist.

dirtbikes come stock with twists caus itd be kind of goofy railin a berm and usin ur thumb and a twist is whats best for a dirtbike i havent seen 1 thumb throttle conversion i rode a twis throttle on a banshee also hated it stay with the thumb

400exr
12-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I have a twist and love it, but it does take some getting used to. I learned on a dirt bike, so twist comes naturally to me. Like the other guy said, it's all rider prefrence, either you like it and can ride with it, or you don't like it and don't want to ride with one. I'd say try it out and find out for yourself :D

drthrottle
12-15-2004, 09:44 PM
267ex nailed it w/people being scared to ride your bike w/twist throttle on it. That has saved me a couple times.

Jake250ex
12-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Any of you guys ever rode a banshee for a long time in the woods :eek2: ? I think thats why they make twist throttles. 1/2 hour in the woods and I have thumb cramps so bad I'm ready to go home. Ask Jeff Stoess. He'll know ;)

440ex2001
12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
its simple. just stick to what your used to.

397ccEX
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Just my opionion i prefer thumb
Problly cause my wrist dont cooperate with twist thottles since i broke it

mudslingingurl9
12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
i luv my twist...its awesome, makes it funner...jmo :) :blah:

397ccEX
12-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Funner?
how old are u mudslingergirl

TheFontMaster
12-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I had a twist on my 300ex, and one is going on my project 250r. I will never go back to a thumb throtle. put the twist on your quad to see if you like it. If you don't like it keep it on for a week or so. It tool me a while to et used to the twist, and I would ocasionaly give it too much throttle, but I am used to it now, and I never have any problems with it.

mudslingingurl9
12-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 397ccEX
Funner?
how old are u mudslingergirl
im 16, but come on now it is...

mudslingingurl9
12-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
I think he asked how old you were because you said funner,not more fun. Funner is'nt really a word :)
ooo:eek: , funner is too a word! for instance.....ridin quads is FUNNER than ridin bikes

440ex2001
12-19-2004, 06:04 PM
your right ,I'm really tired:D

mudslingingurl9
12-19-2004, 06:16 PM
:D u must of worn urself out ridin hard today huh?....i know i did:blah:

440ex2001
12-19-2004, 06:19 PM
yes i did. I can hardly walk. Lots of fun though!

397ccEX
12-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I was just wonderin how old you were not because you said Funner!
Im only 15

killed300ex
12-19-2004, 07:24 PM
u definitly think it is a personal preferance because i had a 300 with a thumb throttle but recently bought a lt250r with a twist and i really like the twist find it much easier to handel than the thumb throttle
evan

flash
12-20-2004, 06:48 PM
I've been running a twist for 2 years now and I love it. I feel that you have better trottle control with a twist, but that just my opinion. It's what ever you like the best, just try it out and see what you think. Heck, I know a guy with a dirtbike that has a thumb throttle on it and won't ride it any toher way, now how crazy is that?:D

267ex
12-20-2004, 08:53 PM
so have you decided yet??

dwidget
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm most likely going to put the twist on, but after this weekend 'cause i'll be at the river