PDA

View Full Version : Wake up Honda!!

sgerbyshak
12-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Why cant Honda build an aluminum framed fuel injected 450R?
How much extra would this cost the consumer? Im sure that it would sell for around $9,000 or less. Who wouldn't buy a lighter faster machine. Honda let yamaha get a huge share of the market with the yfz. Honda should have a motocross specific 450r that is kick only. and a crosscountry specific 450r with e-start and reverse.Honda should also release the 250 r with a powervalve.
If they released a 250r everyone would buy one. yahama still has the banshee..2strokes are fun to ride...

sgerbyshak
12-11-2004, 08:50 PM
I still love my 450R!!

Syrus
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
sgerbyshak you need to realise how a huge company like that works. They wont release something that amazing just yet, they release them step by step. That way the industry makes as much money as they can. It confusing to explain but ill try my best.

You see, when the 400ex came out, it was the best machine, and everyone bought one, they made huge profit from it, then the 450r came out, and made the 400ex extinct. And now they are making huge profit from the 450r, they dont need to release anything better untill the compitition releases something better, and once fuel injected quads come out, honda will be one of the company to release them, to keep up with everyone else. But till they do, they dont need anything better out then the 450r. Its whats bringing them all there money.

Sounds weird to some ppl, but its true.

quadrcr161
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
i think alum frames are over rated, the way the frame would have to be built to handle the MX portion wouldnt make it light enough to make a difference. look at the steel frame, people are having to add gussets to it, do you think alum would hold up? a bike is a whole differnt design it dosent take the abuse the quads would take.
why add the electronics of fuel injection? you would need a batterey and other electronics to controll it.

all 2 strokes will be banned on 06, even the banshee.

Syrus
12-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i think alum frames are over rated, the way the frame would have to be built to handle the MX portion wouldnt make it light enough to make a difference. look at the steel frame, people are having to add gussets to it, do you think alum would hold up? a bike is a whole differnt design it dosent take the abuse the quads would take.
why add the electronics of fuel injection? you would need a batterey and other electronics to controll it.

Is it 06 or 08 ? i cant remember, i seem to recall 08, but your prolly right.

ZRider400
12-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Is it 06 or 08 ? i cant remember, i seem to recall 08, but your prolly right.

its 06, i remember reading about it in atv action.

blaster and banshee wont be made any longer after that.

rollie
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
wake up honda....make a light weight frame with a 1000cc street bike engine in it and make it weigh 200 pounds!!! and make sure it come with ELKAS!!!:rolleyes:

i mean im not trying to flame or anything but i think honda already came out with a great product and for some people nothing ever good enough.....JMO:)

DRT
12-12-2004, 12:17 AM
look at the steel frame, people are having to add gussets to it, do you think alum would hold up? a bike is a whole differnt design it dosent take the abuse the quads would take.

Cannondale frames hold up just fine and so does the aftermarket aluminum frame for the 250r.

People have to add gussets because the frame is made out of mild steel.If they made it out of 4130 chromo like all the aftermartket frames it would be alot stronger.

chad502ex
12-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sgerbyshak
Why cant Honda build an aluminum framed fuel injected 450R?
How much extra would this cost the consumer? Im sure that it would sell for around $9,000 or less. Who wouldn't buy a lighter faster machine. Honda let yamaha get a huge share of the market with the yfz. Honda should have a motocross specific 450r that is kick only. and a crosscountry specific 450r with e-start and reverse.Honda should also release the 250 r with a powervalve.
If they released a 250r everyone would buy one. yahama still has the banshee..2strokes are fun to ride...

a "closed loop" fuel injected aluminum spar framed 450r would be off the hook!

Apparently, there is a BIG difference between the open loop fuel injection system and closed loop fuel injection system. I believe cars have closed loop and street bikes (like the Hyabusa) still have the inferior open loop fuel system. I could be wrong though, but I've ben told that the closed loop system would be incredible on a technically advanced 450r motor. As a matter of fact, everyone will be seeing a fuel injected turbo kit released for the 450r. I've already started filling out a list for Santa- just kidding a turbo kit is not for me since i don't drag

chad502ex

Martin Blair
12-12-2004, 08:51 PM
why? personaly i would rather have a carb then efi.

sgerbyshak
12-13-2004, 08:27 PM
if you have efi than you don't have to re jet when you upgrade your intake or exhaust system. Also you can hook up to your lap top and change your power curv for specific applications

rap169
12-13-2004, 08:40 PM
no you just have to re-map your efi, and that means dealer! Yuck

12-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rap169
no you just have to re-map your efi, and that means dealer! Yuck not if they have a public kit like cannondale had

DRT
12-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
not if they have a public kit like cannondale had

Yup very true

Brown450R
12-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Gas Gas has fuel injection, and so does ATK. I think the gas gas has a chrome moly frame too. I rode one and hated it. The fuel injection was weird, I guess you would get used to it if you had to. I am used to instant throttle response, and it was not instant. I like the idea of fuel injection, but I want to ride one that performs better than the one I rode. I'll try them again this year and see if it is any better.
I think Honda did a nice job on the 450r. I would like electric start, and a cup holder too, but hey, we can't have everything.

quadrcr161
12-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DRT
Cannondale frames hold up just fine and so does the aftermarket aluminum frame for the 250r.

People have to add gussets because the frame is made out of mild steel.If they made it out of 4130 chromo like all the aftermartket frames it would be alot stronger.

how many cannondales and alum 250r's do you see on mx tracks?
if the fuel injected atk/cannondale is such a great quad, why isnt it winning in GNC, mx and tt events. i only read about Jeff at the quadshop placing in the gncc but he is the only one i can think of.
untill it takes over a sport, ill be happy with what works.

12-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DRT

ummm, dude.............4130 chromoly is not aluminum.

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
first of all once you start making quads efi you are gonna be paying several thousands more... plus if you buy a first year efi 450r, you might have to deal with the "first year probs" that come about, and other than being very expensive to fix, it can also take away from your riding time...

carbed machines have become very advanced, and i think that honda did a great job on the 450r...

And also, even if you make the frame aluminum, the quad will still probably be heavier due to all the electronics and battery that you will have to add to make it an efi model..

DRT
12-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by force
ummm, dude.............4130 chromoly is not aluminum.

No kidding I was just saying why you have to add gussets to non aluminum stock chasis quads.
Read what I qouted and you will understand my response.

DRT
12-14-2004, 03:06 PM
how many cannondales and alum 250r's do you see on mx tracks?
if the fuel injected atk/cannondale is such a great quad, why isnt it winning in GNC, mx and tt events. i only read about Jeff at the quadshop placing in the gncc but he is the only one i can think of.
untill it takes over a sport, ill be happy with what works.

I never said any quad was better than another.I was just saying the aluminun frames hold up.I own a 2 Dales and my friend has an aftermarket aluminum framed R.I never bashed any make of quad or said Dales were the best.Ride what you like to ride.

iceracer65
12-14-2004, 04:01 PM
i took a 450r off the showroom floor, put the hrc kit in it, put a pipe, swaybar, lowering kit, wheels on it and ended up top ten at the gnctt's.

honda did good...still gotta ride 'em!!!:devil:

tido450
12-15-2004, 10:59 AM

snowmobiles are fuel injected and have no batery

440ex kid
12-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a friend who races gncc pro am and has been running a cannondale for about 3 years now. The frame has not cracked or anything.

I would like to see the technology of aftermarket frame be incorporated into a 450r chassis. 4130 chromoly constrution, narrow frame front end, cr 500 linkage (or no link), and antifade locknut.

As far as fuel injection, as long as you dont have to increase weight with a battery and stuff then I think it would be a good idea. It would be sweet to plug in the lap top and tune the motor at the track.

There are alot of other technologies that honda could use. Pneumatic valve springs like on the formula 1 cars. Imagine if your 450r could rev to 18,000 rpms in a blink of an eye like a formula car?

12-15-2004, 08:43 PM
just my input!!!! i know people who owned candls and the alum frame is very harsh and demanding on the rider. as far as crome molly to expensive for honda as a dealer quad!!!!!!!!! but would be nice:D now fuel inj.is a thing of the passed on quads! who in there right mind would want to trust a comp. on an off road beeten to death race machiene, unless you are a millionare:confused: the carb is still a proven tuneable component that is relitively cheep to (dial in) lol

Sandgod4
12-15-2004, 09:14 PM
My Dale is 2.5 yrs old and no problems w/ the computer or EFI in any way. We have the best frames, rear shocks and suspension. ATK has the bugs worked out and can out run any 450 bolt on quad and handle like a 250r..

markeg192
12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Cannondale frames do hold up very well, but thier quads still weighed more than the R or the YFZ I think. Mild steel is also much easier and cheaper to repair or gussett.

mx8
12-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Quad's cost to much now :eek2: Don't add 2000.00 more onto a 6500.00 quad. :huh

sgerbyshak
12-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I have not had a chance to ride a gasgas. What current atv do you think it most closley resembles?

Thump_It
12-16-2004, 11:40 PM
450R=fuel injection in 2-3 years.
CRF450=fuel injection in 1-2 years, period.

creechfan
12-17-2004, 07:00 AM
snowmobiles are fuel injected and have no batery

I was on my way to saying that until I got onto the second page. Hehehe.

Two strokes are not going to be out right banded in 2006. Rather, the EPA is lowering the acceptable number of pollutants that any 2 stroke motor can put out in relation to engine size. < That in turn is going to make it extremely hard to for the manufactures to get their “old school” two strokes “up to date”. Look at the snowmobile industry, every time I’m reading up on some sleds I always come across an article about how the manufactures are designing new motors with direct injection and EFI to get them under the EPA’s new emissions standards.

I don’t want to see this happen, and what makes me sooo angry is the EPA thinks it is all the small engines that are causing a significant problem because of there 2 stroke nature.
All most on a daily bases weather I am in town or on some country road I see a car with all of it’s rings gone and seals shot, just blowing blue and black smoke all over hell lol and I just don’t get how the EPA can let that happen every day when they think my weedwacker is more of a problem!!