PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

platinum350
12-11-2004, 06:56 PM
I am new to the 4 strok scene and am curious as to what you guys are running w/ your plugs? Right now my quad is mainly stock but by or after x-mas i will have a hmf slip on, open airbox and rejetted my carb. Will the OEM plug work just as good or is there a cooler/warmer plug I should be using?
Any help is appreciated!

04-KFX400
12-11-2004, 10:16 PM
You don't need to start running cooler plugs until you start raising the cylinder compression.

knelson
12-11-2004, 11:33 PM
different spark plugs are determined by their heat dissipating qualities. Your stock dpr8z plug is plug is fine,the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.
Air/Fuel Mixtures seriously affect engine performance and spark plug operating temperatures.Rich air/fuel mixtures cause tip temperature to drop, causing fouling and poor driveability Lean air/fuel mixtures cause plug tip and cylinder temperature to increase, resulting in pre-ignition and/or detonation

Steve-o 400EX
12-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by knelson
different spark plugs are determined by their heat dissipating qualities. Your stock dpr8z plug is plug is fine,the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.
Air/Fuel Mixtures seriously affect engine performance and spark plug operating temperatures.Rich air/fuel mixtures cause tip temperature to drop, causing fouling and poor driveability Lean air/fuel mixtures cause plug tip and cylinder temperature to increase, resulting in pre-ignition and/or detonation

This is true, i run a dpr9z in my 416 because of the upped compression.

platinum350- Do you like the 450r front shocks?? Do they bolt right up or was it a custom job?

platinum350
12-12-2004, 05:05 PM
hey Steve-o 400EX, I just recently installed them and it was not hard. However I did have to use my dremel and shave a little off the top of the eyelet of the 450r's shocks. Other than that it was a direct bolt on. I was also told to bring the spanner nuts all the way o the top of the shock to allow for some more sag because the 450r shocks are slightly longer than stock. I have only ridden w/ them 2 tmes so far and I can tell you that it is much better than the stock shocks. Especially when jumping, way smoother. Istill have not dialed them in all the way to where I want them, but they are awesome, especially for the price (around 250).

Steve-o 400EX
12-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by platinum350
hey Steve-o 400EX, I just recently installed them and it was not hard. However I did have to use my dremel and shave a little off the top of the eyelet of the 450r's shocks. Other than that it was a direct bolt on. I was also told to bring the spanner nuts all the way o the top of the shock to allow for some more sag because the 450r shocks are slightly longer than stock. I have only ridden w/ them 2 tmes so far and I can tell you that it is much better than the stock shocks. Especially when jumping, way smoother. Istill have not dialed them in all the way to where I want them, but they are awesome, especially for the price (around 250).

Thank you very much, post some pics if you have any.

platinum350
12-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Sorry don't have any, check back w/ me in a little and I should have a digital camera.