PDA

View Full Version : Chain and sproket wear

stocktires
12-11-2004, 03:10 PM
How am I supposed to tell if my chain and sprokets are worn? They seem to be in awesome shape to me. I have no clue how old they are because they came on the quad when I bought it. They're Sidewinder sprokets and a Krause chain. The sprokets dont have any groves.

ZRider400
12-11-2004, 04:42 PM
look if the teeth on the sprockets are real pointy/bent.

if they arent...and look good then its fine.

JDiablo
12-11-2004, 04:46 PM
if there sidewinder sprockets,then all i would do is pick up a sidewinder chain and you will be set for a very long time

beerock
12-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Usually when the sprockets have a 40% wear margin you need to replace them. usually the sprockets will look like a nice take off jump, thats when you know there worn, or you have a broken sprocket tooth.(i use to break them al the time) Even on a 2 ride alum sprocket

the type of sprockets you use does not matter much believe it or not. if there aluminum THEY WILL WEAR FAST period. Chains is a different story. I swear by regina orn chains

I got tired with them and i now run steel sprockets front and rear just like the streetbikes do. There are plenty of other places to lose weight on a bike. using an aluminum sprocket on the rear isnt the wisest decision, unless you race and change them frequently. HEck you dont even have to race just change them frequently but problem is the aluminum sprockets cost around 30 a pop and a steel one cost about 12-20 bux and will outlast 5-6 aluminum sprockets . On top of that, the rate that the aluminum wears AND/or BREAKS TOOTHS only make you more vulnerable to popping a chain and even worse risk of cracking your cases, case saver or not.

muff
12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
if there sidewinder sprockets,then all i would do is pick up a sidewinder chain and you will be set for a very long time

Krause makes the chains for sidewinder :cool:

i dont think you'll have to worry much about the chain/sprockets if i were you. in the owners manual it tells you if your chain is stretched (you have to measure a few links). and as long as the sprocket teeth arent bent or curled over you'll be good

keep lube on the chain and keep an eye on the o-rings on the chain (not falling off or many cracks), and keep the chain adjusted and you'll be all set