PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to reject a sponsors offer

QuadRacer041
12-11-2004, 05:10 AM
need some opinions from some guys who have been dealing with sponsors for a while.
I sent out resume's a month or two back for sponsorship for the 05 season.I sent them out through the mail and also through sponsorhouse.com.when i sent them out i sent to compaines within the same feild, example's would be Fox gear and Oneal, Itp tires and Maxxis tires and a few other's as well.I recieved offers back and a problem that i have encoutered was i accepted a deal from one company and then a like a month later recieved a better offer from one of its competitors. also on sponsorhouse.com i had a comapany approuch me with an offer that is pretty good but ive never really heard of them and they dont have much product avalable in the way of quad's or motorsports, its an optics comapany.also got an offer from a lubricant's company that i think kinda sux, i have to buy stuff by the case which on the average is like $40-50 and the savings is only like $.15 cheaper then buying from say rockymountain atv.

So my question is, is it bad or disrespectful to reject a companies offer were in all but one case i contacted them about rider support?

400grl
12-11-2004, 06:08 AM
NO, it's not bad - you should never feel obligated to accept a sponsorship offer- that is why it's called an offer! :) So many offers are simply discounts - which is actually a selling tool for the company offering the sponsorship.........take the offers you feel will help you the most, and politely decline the others - you can let them know you have picked a few sponsors already this year and thank them for their offer.

Pappy
12-11-2004, 07:14 AM
400grl is right Lou....

the main thing is to respond to the company and inform them politely that you have another sponsor but appreciate thier generous off. you never know when the squid sponsor could turn into something worth having and besides, its good business:p

QuadRacer041
12-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
400grl is right Lou....

the main thing is to respond to the company and inform them politely that you have another sponsor but appreciate thier generous off. you never know when the squid sponsor could turn into something worth having and besides, its good business:p

right thats why i wanted to know what would be the best response and if that was even done.

thanks guys

QuadRacer041
12-11-2004, 07:42 AM
o yea, how should i resond, type them a letter and mail it?

popo
12-11-2004, 07:51 AM
At least your being honest with rejecting there offer. This allows the next person in line an chance for sponsorship, in some cases a first time.

I remember the first acceptance letter I recieved, pretty exicting and your giving that chance to someone else.

wolf91
12-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Email or call the company you signed with, but want to drop due to a better competitor offer. Chances are, if they want you bad enough, they will match or better the other offer. Don't send your resume to company's you don't want to represent, such as a lubricant company that sux.
Read your contracts carefully too. Some will have you locked in for the following year as well, due to having the first right of refusal. Basically they have the option to match another offer, and if they do, you have to stay with them or not be spopnsored at all in that catagory. EX.Clothing. Moose is this way, and their contract is pretty damn strict. Awesome company to be supported by though. They don't allow you to put other company's stickers on their products.
Basically, sit on your offers until you absolutely have to respond. This way you can pick through the on'e you want.

QuadRacer041
12-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by wolf91
Email or call the company you signed with, but want to drop due to a better competitor offer. Chances are, if they want you bad enough, they will match or better the other offer. Don't send your resume to company's you don't want to represent, such as a lubricant company that sux.
Read your contracts carefully too. Some will have you locked in for the following year as well, due to having the first right of refusal. Basically they have the option to match another offer, and if they do, you have to stay with them or not be spopnsored at all in that catagory. EX.Clothing. Moose is this way, and their contract is pretty damn strict. Awesome company to be supported by though. They don't allow you to put other company's stickers on their products.
Basically, sit on your offers until you absolutely have to respond. This way you can pick through the on'e you want.

dont get me wrong the lubricant company itself doesnt sux, it was there offer no the product itself.

yea waiting till i have to respond if a quick lesson i learned over the last month.

thanks for the info

400grl
12-13-2004, 10:32 AM
I have e-mailed the company's that I have gotten offers on and said something like "I wanted to take the time to thank you for your consideration and offer of support for the coming year. At this time, I have accepted the number of sponsors I am looking for, so I am politely declining your generous offer. Thank you again and have a great season in 2005." Something along those lines......and if you have submitted your resume via snailmail, then I would send something by way of regular mail back to them.......and yes, this will give them an opportunity to find someone else to sponsor if you decline it......

QuadRacer041
12-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I have e-mailed the company's that I have gotten offers on and said something like "I wanted to take the time to thank you for your consideration and offer of support for the coming year. At this time, I have accepted the number of sponsors I am looking for, so I am politely declining your generous offer. Thank you again and have a great season in 2005." Something along those lines......and if you have submitted your resume via snailmail, then I would send something by way of regular mail back to them.......and yes, this will give them an opportunity to find someone else to sponsor if you decline it......

yea that sounds like the best thing to do at leaste im not leaving them hanging.

maggiesboy
12-15-2004, 08:41 AM
I would say if they are a real, you gonna get it for free sponsor, then yes you nuts. If it is just a tiny discount offer, then no shame in turning down an offer.

I can typically get local racers a better deal than 95% of all deals they get through sponsorhouse.com. I had a guy come into the shop that was all pumped about a "killer boot deal" with oxtar boots. He was pissed when the "killer boot deal" was still more money out of pocket than the discount I gave him on his new pair of Alpinestar tech 6's. Bill