PDA

View Full Version : wb cam

hondamxerd
12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
i have a 99 400 ex, wb cam and a bunch of other stuff, just recently, today, put a 88 mm wiseco piston in it, now trying to adjust the valve, the question is, ..... is there a different valve adjustment spec for
an aftermarket cam? maybe a stupid question but, i always thought that you were supposed to put it in time at top dead center with the cam lobes turned down with the three marks on the cam sprocket one up and the other two to the sides, when i do this the cam lobes are never down always to the side or almost up, switched it around and the same thing, should i not worry about the 3 cam sprocket marks and just put the lobes down, any help appreciated, she's tore down right now

MIKE400EX
12-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Just adjust them with the cam lobes pointing down.

A fail safe way is to adjust the intakes when the exhaust side just starts to open, and adjust the exhausts when the intakes are closing.

hondamxerd
12-10-2004, 08:22 PM
thanks, i will try that tomarrow, burnt out on it 2nite, on my valves, both the intake and exhaust almost adjust all the way down on the set screw, about one thread showing, now when the intake is there, the exhaust is about 5 or 6 threads, i cant figure it out, but i will try what you said, thanks

cals400ex
12-10-2004, 11:47 PM
most aftermarket cams will have different valve settings than stock. i can't tell you what they are for that cam. i would guess somewhere around .005 intake and .006 exhaust but that is a total guess. check with the manufacturer.

i would just make sure the cam sprocket aligns with the head while your on the T mark of the flywheel.

hondamxerd
12-11-2004, 03:44 PM
ok, cam lobes down, got that, did nt run,
tried to adjust when they are closing and opening, what next, i had to disregard the
3 timing marks on the cam sprocket, the lobes on the cam were not turned down, what is that little white mark on the timing
chain?

hondamxerd
12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
ok here we are again, i am checking the valve clearance again, heres how i am doing it, please anyone let me know if i am doing anything wrong, i take the valve caps and the two side caps off, i was wandering if the cam lobes were down( i thought they were but i wanted to make sure) so i look through both sides of the valve caps and the cam lobes were down on the http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon5.gif
Questioncompression stroke when aligned to the t mark on the flywheel, ( i stuck a peice plastic through the spark plug hole to make sure it was at tdc) they were down, so i adjust the front and rear to spec, check the t mark again to confirm it has not moved, it hasnt, i put it back together and try to start, it hits a little and smokes a little after a few minutes of cranking but still nothing, so i hooked it up to my rincon, pulled it when i let off on they, clutch click, click, click, click, click, hmmmmmmm, :mad: help!!

MIKE400EX
12-11-2004, 08:41 PM
The cam rotates at 1/2 crank speed. The piston can be at TDC with the cam lobes facing either up or down.
Watch the valves open, turn the crank (CCW when facing the left side of the motor) and watch for the exhaust valves to open and close, then the intakes will open and close. Turn the crank bolt just a little more until the TDC mark aligns the next time. Now adjust the valves. Make sure to remove the spark plug - that'll make life easier.