PDA

View Full Version : need more speed for the winter

fmf400ex03
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
i ride on the lake a good 5-10 hours in a week plus i take trips on the week end up into canada to ride and lakes and canada are ill fast pase. right now all i have is k&n with mj152 and p42. i am getting an exhaust so no need to worry there what else can i do with out boring it out. cams gears ect. are all ecceptable. because last year i got clocked in canada on a trail and i was doing between 55-65mph in the snow with shredder rear tires with about 1/2-3/4 tread this was over a 4.5 mile span thats pretty much where it stay'd. i would like to make that a better i have good tires not sure what i would like for a top speed i just want faster than that. so what can i do with out boring it out and a piston and with the recomeneded mods you give what is an estimate on my speed

YFZ450Ridr
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
if u got a k&n filter you could probablle drill some holes in your air box lid for more air flow thus more power/speed. and you could bump up your front sproket maby 1 tooth and thatll give u more topend but not as much bottom end. u said your gettin an exhaust, make sure its a full system, some slip ons dont do much. you could maby put like a high compression piston or cams if u wanted to break into the engine. cant think of too much more. maby a big oil cooler to help keep the temps down but youll be ridin in snow so it prollly wont be an issue. hope this helps

fmf400ex03
12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
i already have 3 1" holes in my lid i was thinkin a sparks key and cam and 1 tooth front gear with a full exhaust im not really into putting a piston in is there any other way to bump up the compression a bit? and what do you think i should get for some speed?

YFZ450Ridr
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
shave some weight off of it if you can. a kick start kit is a good way to start if u can find one. the lighter the quad is the better the power-to-weight ratio is. u might wona try a pair of paddles on the back end. i know maxxis makes the 4sno tire, like it says, its a pddle tire for the snow, youd hook up better. thats all i can think of:confused:

hondarider2006
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
shave some weight off of it if you can. a kick start kit is a good way to start if u can find one.

And good luck finding one. Its gonna cost you more than your bikes even worth, and it won't do anything for you. If you want a little more grunt, I would say go with the full exhaust, Hotcam stage 1, remove your airbox lid, and try the 16 tooth front sprocket. I know it won't fit with the stock case save, so you will have to grid it down, or just got 2 teeth down in the rear sprocket. Also make sure your jetting is good. I don't know much about the sparks key, but if you have the money go for it;) Other than that, I would say your looking into digging into your motor if you really want some more speed. Its amazing what a 416, hotcam stage 2 and a rev box will do;)

fmf400ex03
12-10-2004, 08:06 PM
well i was leaning towards a stage 2 cam over the stage 1 with the stock bore maybe in the future i will bore it but this is my second 1 and i wanna keep stock bore until its paid off. so with a full exhaust 1 tooth bigger in the front and maybe 1 tooth smaller in the back also prolly not tho and a stage 2 what do you think ill be looking at for top speed

fmf400ex03
12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
with hotcam stage 2, full fmf pipe with power bomb header ,stock bore, timing advance, and 1 tooth bigger in the front sprocket. what do you think the out come will be racing strait line compared to machines that are piped like 400ex, ltz/kfx and what do you think my top speed will would be around?

Spikers400
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
i would go with a higher compression piston along with the cam. I have that right now, and my quads faster then a z400 even when i put the stock pipe back on it.

fmf400ex03
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
isnt there a way to get more compression with out a new piston like a gasket or something

frosti108
12-13-2004, 05:52 PM
ya you could take out the base gasket and just use some kind of sealant like idk RTV or something. that raises compression... but i wouldnt do that with the head gasket lol...

but if your going to do that, your already taking off the cylinder so you might as well change out the piston for a higher compression stock size piston... that'l make the most difference...

if your getting a cam as well, you might as well get the head ported and polished. thats very cheap and very good power adder...

good luck :D