PDA

View Full Version : MotoX Jumping

CRE Performance
12-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Im having a bit of trouble getting up the nerve to jump big. I went to the track last weekend and went from jumping nothing to taking 20 ft tabletops, taking 1 set of doubles, and almost taking the 45 ft tabletop. Im getting better with each time I go to the track.

Any of you guys got any tips or tricks as far as jumping and landing goes or any tips for a beginner on jumping?

Also, Im planning on getting a set of front shocks, are these gonna help out some on the landings cause Im bottoming out the stock fronts pretty bad on occasion now?

hardkoratvmxr
12-10-2004, 07:56 PM
well i know that when i started i used to preload which gives you more air and longer air time this would be good if all you need to clear a jump is half a quad if you do it right you could also hit it with more speed you want to be either level or with the nose of the quad up a little unless it is a down hill jump then you will want your front end down a lil but you will want your rear tires to hit a lil before your fronts

UbeenSmoked
12-10-2004, 08:13 PM
the best advise to give u would be go out and practice over and over again. the thing is when ur in the air for a while learn how u use ur rear brake to bring ur front end down if its to high and use the gas if ur front in is i low. just remember that when u hit the rear brake pull in ur clutch other than that just keep practicing at.

Matt

CRE Performance
12-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys, keep em coming.

As far as pre-loading the suspension, ive heard this term many times and I still dont exactly comprehend how to "pre-load the suspension". Would one of you guys please fill me in here?:confused: I mean do you do it with body english, throttle, or what?

UbeenSmoked
12-10-2004, 11:11 PM
pre load has nothing to do with u, it pretty much all suspension. say for when ur just about to hit a jump ur shcoks will compress in and then when u leave the face of the lip of the jump it jumps up and shoots u farther in the air, hope u understood it

Matt

12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I guess it came natural to me because the 4th day i had my YFZ, i was hitting a 70ft table at a track, and thats after coming off of a Yamaha Beartracker.:eek2:

CRE Performance
12-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Oh OK. I know what your talking about now. Unfortunatly, most of the jumps at the track I went to were so freakin steep, sharp and high, if you hit them with any speed at all it pre-loaded pretty hard.

wolf91
12-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I couldn't get the sack to do the up hill double, double at Red Bud after not hitting it hard enough the first time. So a buddy of mine who was doing it, pulled me with him to do it. Basically I told him to jump it and I was going to follow him so I knew how fast to hit it. So follow a faster rider and it makes it much easier.

As for that hitting your brake in the air. Start small!! It takes a lot of practice to not stall the engine in the air.

throwinitup
12-11-2004, 01:45 PM
well i didnt have my ex 2 weeks with no experince jumping (this was my first bike) and my friends took me to outlaw extreme, which is a mile long practice track...they said "dont ride above your head and go around the big jumps" well so much for that, i hit every jump there on the first lap...the only way to learn and not be scared is to just do it...your not gonna get hurt that bad if you case somethin, worst case scenario you flip off the bike or somethin...no big deal get back up, brush your shoulders off and do it again.... but the next time i gauruntee youll hit that jump clickin the next gear so you dont have deja-vu dont be scared or afriad man, you just got to face your fears and do it....its a blast man! happy trails my friend!

Dust_1503
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Stay centered on the pegs and keep the throttle at a steady pace all the way through the face this keeps your front end from wanting to drop or rise. Best thing to do is follow a faster person but if you don't have that just find a big table top and practice on that since you can just try going faster and faster each time till ya get and you wont kill you self in the process compared to jumpin large doubles.

12-13-2004, 07:35 PM
a little trick i use is to never try to hit the rear breaks in the air ( afraid to stall the big 4strk) instead i hit the front breaks if the nose goes..... it works mint;) as for pre load it does work good if done right. think of it as jumpin a pedl bike :eek: use your legs and body to actualy lift the quad right before the tip of the jump. this works awesume if there is a dip in the top of the jump. if your ridin a motx "bike" track with steeep jumps like you said , slow down your rebound front and back this way you won't go as far up and have to go faster to clear the jump...DO LOTS OF PRACTICING :devil: :devil: good luck:macho

CRE Performance
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys, keep em coming! I have recently built a track close to home so I can practice more often, maybe that will be good. Or at least its always nice to be able to go home and change out of muddy gear before the ambulance gets there:D

450 Racer R
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
grabbing your front brakes would bring your front end down?

Duncanracer
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
I dont think grabbing front brakes does anything...

bobbo97f150
12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Duncanracer
I dont think grabbing front brakes does anything...

Get on your quad and give it a try. It works. Not as good as the rears but it definately brings it down. Your front tires are spinning just as fast as the rears when you leave a jump unless you're still on the gas. When you stop them with the brakes, your front end drops.