PDA

View Full Version : Better Cam for my R??

CdaleXtreme
12-10-2004, 12:23 PM
I am sure there is some info floating around about this, but Its all scattered and hard to compare. So I thought I would throw the question out.

I currently Have an 04 450R. With JE high comp piston, FCR Carb, port and flow head, FCR Carb, TC exhaust, and a Stage 2 HOT-CAM.

I know the Hotcams arent the most exotic cam, and I was wondering if there are cams out there that could possibly be better. for MX.

I guess there are drop in cams, and cams that require certain head work etc?

Im not affraid to mod my engine so what is the best MX Cam out? with "proven" results. Any input would be appreciated, One sentence answers are basically a waste of time, if anyone has any info for me and everyone else reading this board, would be appreciated.

chad502ex
12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
I am sure there is some info floating around about this, but Its all scattered and hard to compare. So I thought I would throw the question out.

I currently Have an 04 450R. With JE high comp piston, FCR Carb, port and flow head, FCR Carb, TC exhaust, and a Stage 2 HOT-CAM.

I know the Hotcams arent the most exotic cam, and I was wondering if there are cams out there that could possibly be better. for MX.

I guess there are drop in cams, and cams that require certain head work etc?

Im not affraid to mod my engine so what is the best MX Cam out? with "proven" results. Any input would be appreciated, One sentence answers are basically a waste of time, if anyone has any info for me and everyone else reading this board, would be appreciated.

Megacycle cams are the most agressive cams available they range from mid-top to top end only. These are not considered "drop-in" cams. These cams require slotted cam sprocket to degree the cam in and also new followers. I ride XC so I purchased the Megacycle 801X2. NMotion and Sparks sell these cams.

hope this helps.
chad502ex.com

CdaleXtreme
12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah thats what I have been hearing. Does anyone have any dyno numbers? I know it is all different depending on porting piston pipe and so on....How about prices? and what is involved in making one of these fit.....Regular Cam instalation is a snap, but Im not a machinist.

chad502ex
12-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
Yeah thats what I have been hearing. Does anyone have any dyno numbers? I know it is all different depending on porting piston pipe and so on....How about prices? and what is involved in making one of these fit.....Regular Cam instalation is a snap, but Im not a machinist.

go to thier wesite and read about it. they have prices and info on their site.

I've been seeing dyno results with similar mods as you 45-50 rwhp with this cam.

hope this helps.
chad

dart450r
12-11-2004, 05:25 AM
you could also try johnson cams... there 400/375 make 1 or 2 more hp than the x2...but you do need to slot your cam sprocket and degree it in... it's worth it tho

chad502ex
12-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by dart450r
you could also try johnson cams... there 400/375 make 1 or 2 more hp than the x2...but you do need to slot your cam sprocket and degree it in... it's worth it tho

Yes, I looked into a johnson cam before Megacycle puchase, but decided to go with Mega because johnson does not sell the cam sprocket holder on their new cam and you would have to press one onto the johnson cam yourself. the specs of the johnson cam is great and i'm sure the cam performs